Athena
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 am

Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm

On my desktop, the battery icon is red and when I hover over it I see "discharging". What is this icon for? Which battery is this icon referring to? I have RPi -2 Model B. Thank you.

pcmanbob
Posts: 11635
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Which OS are you running ? As I don't ever remember seeing a battery symbol on raspbian.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 4640
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia
Contact: Twitter

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm

There are two battery monitors accessible in the taskbar (is it called a taskbar on Linux?)
One is standard to Linux, the other is specialised to the Pi Top.
They don't show by default, but it sounds like you have enabled one or them.

The Pi has no battery.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Athena
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 am

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm
Which OS are you running ? As I don't ever remember seeing a battery symbol on raspbian.
Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Athena
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 am

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm
There are two battery monitors accessible in the taskbar (is it called a taskbar on Linux?)
One is standard to Linux, the other is specialised to the Pi Top.
They don't show by default, but it sounds like you have enabled one or them.

The Pi has no battery.
Yes, I know. That's the reason for the question. What is this icon showing with a message "Discharging %"?. I am not aware of discharging of a battery. If there were a battery in RPi, the icon could have displayed the state of charging, but not discharging. So, this is new to me.

Again, the OS is "Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)" running on Pi 2, Model B.

User avatar
neilgl
Posts: 3500
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Near The National Museum of Computing

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Maybe look at: right click on the top menu bar and Add/Remove Panel items. There are battery monitoring applets there under Add...

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 4640
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia
Contact: Twitter

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm

It likely shows discharging because it's not configured properly. Raspbian was not intended for use from a battery powered device, so it's development was ignored.
The battery monitor is just there because it is, not because it works.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 6426
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm
They don't show by default, but it sounds like you have enabled one or them.
I have seen that on recent Raspbian builds, so it seems it may be there by default now. That puzzles me, because I can't imagine there are enough PiTop users to have that as a default. I just remove it from the task bar since I don't need it.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Athena
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 am

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm
They don't show by default, but it sounds like you have enabled one or them.
I have seen that on recent Raspbian builds, so it seems it may be there by default now. That puzzles me, because I can't imagine there are enough PiTop users to have that as a default. I just remove it from the task bar since I don't need it.
After these discussions made it clear, this is exactly what I did; removed it from the taskbar. Thank you all for clarifying.

chiques
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:54 pm

A voltage indicator would be more useful.

drgeoff
Posts: 12165
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm

chiques wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:54 pm
A voltage indicator would be more useful.
An indicator is already provided - the yellow lightning bolt when voltage is low.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User avatar
BogoMax
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:03 pm

I recently booted into my Pi4B and saw an icon in the panel - an empty red battery outline.

After a momentary panic I realised it had to be an error so I just removed the indicator from the panel.

I'm not sure how this came about as I haven't messed with the panel, but I assume it happened after a apt-get upgrade
Did I mention that I love my Raspberry Pi(s) :D. Amazing power from a tiny device.

MisterEd
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 am
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Red Battery icon - Discharging%

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 pm

BogoMax wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:03 pm
I recently booted into my Pi4B and saw an icon in the panel - an empty red battery outline.

After a momentary panic I realised it had to be an error so I just removed the indicator from the panel.

I'm not sure how this came about as I haven't messed with the panel, but I assume it happened after a apt-get upgrade
The same thing happened to me. I only saw the battery icon after the first boot of the day. I did like you said and removed it from the taskbar panel.

Return to “Troubleshooting”