lenoba

Using Raspberry as an Android phone

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Greetings!

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how possible this idea of mine is.

Currently, im using my regular android phone ( samsung ), to connect to the car ( VW ) with the usb cable and run the Android Auto app on it, so that i can use the navigation ( google maps, offline maps ).

Since it requires me to physically connect the phone every time, i was wondering if i could set up a raspberry pi to be used in place of the phone ?

Idealy, the raspberry would have to run android, be able to install android auto apk on it, and have a gps module ( im guessing a random usb one would do ? ).

Now the question i have is...would this even work? Since most of what i've read so far is that the raspberry doesnt like to be in usb client mode, like the phone is ? Is this a dealbreaker for androidauto or not? And would the GPS module hog all the power so that the usb wouldnt be able to power everything?

The car also supports MirrorLink if its doable with that.

Any ideas/suggestions?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Using Raspberry as an Android phone

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 pm

lenoba wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm
Greetings!

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how possible this idea of mine is.

Currently, im using my regular android phone ( samsung ), to connect to the car ( VW ) with the usb cable and run the Android Auto app on it, so that i can use the navigation ( google maps, offline maps ).

Since it requires me to physically connect the phone every time, i was wondering if i could set up a raspberry pi to be used in place of the phone ?

Idealy, the raspberry would have to run android, be able to install android auto apk on it, and have a gps module ( im guessing a random usb one would do ? ).

Now the question i have is...would this even work? Since most of what i've read so far is that the raspberry doesnt like to be in usb client mode, like the phone is ? Is this a dealbreaker for androidauto or not? And would the GPS module hog all the power so that the usb wouldnt be able to power everything?

The car also supports MirrorLink if its doable with that.

Any ideas/suggestions?

The Raspberry Pi 4B Power Port is can act as a USB Slave "Gadget Mode", but not many posts so far..

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=246348

..the downside is that there is no Official or Community supported versions of Android Operating Systems for the RPi 4B.

GPS HAT
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-gps-hat
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

thagrol

Re: Using Raspberry as an Android phone

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:01 pm

While I've only tried using the USB c port on a 4B as an ethernet gadget (sucesfully so) my expectation is that the same methods used on zero/zeroW(H) will work on a 4B.

This config will only affect the USB C port, the USB A ports are fixed to host only mode.

As there is no role detection hardware on the USB C port it will default to slave mode. You need to force host mode in config.txt.

Regarding power, that depends. The connector is rated for 3 amps but the USB host on the other wend of the cable may not provide that, and it may required some negotiation before doing so, especially if the host is USB 3. There's no supoort for that negotiation on the 4B.

You could provide additional power to the 4B vai the gpio header but that can cause problems if the 5v from that and from the USB host aren't matched.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Return to “Android”