Beorn_Bear

Raspberry PI 4 Model A - Design Request

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:20 pm

In the eventuality that the Raspberry Pi organization designs a Raspberry Pi 4 Model A, I would like to request that a regular size HDMI port, one USB 3.0 port and 4GB RAM. Additionally, I would like to see the top of the white and red case has small holes on top (in form of the Raspberry Pi logo).

In the way of cooling the Raspberry Pi, I would like to see kits that include a significantly better heatsinks and Fan SHIM in order to ensure active cooling. A GPU HAT with a small fan would be highly welcome.

takyon

Re: Raspberry PI 4 Model A - Design Request

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm pretty sure they aren't considering a 4A. And switching back to full HDMI is unlikely, and would just break case compatibility again.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... w-from-35/
What about a Model A version?

Historically, we’ve produced cut-down, lower-cost, versions of some of our $35 products, including Model 1A+ in 2014, and Model 3A+ at the end of last year. At present we haven’t identified a sensible set of changes to allow us to do a “Model 4A” product at significantly less than $35. We’ll keep looking though.

Beorn_Bear

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Wishful Thinking, perhaps!!! A single HDMI is more practical and attractive that dual mini-HDMIs.

Nonetheless, I would like to see the Raspberry Pi foundation offer more options on HATs, case design and cooling options beyond current ones. I would like to see further improvement on graphical performance. Either a GPU HATs or 6-core ARM processor would be welcome. An EMMc chip would have been nice.

alphanumeric

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:46 pm

In before the lock. ;)

I'd be happy with the same dual Micro HDMI etc that the 4B has. Just lop off the ethernet and 4 USB ports for one USB 2 or 3 port. The 1, 2, or 4 gig option also works for me. All my A+'s and 3A+'s run headless anyway. I only ever connect peripherals to do my setup.
If it ends up being a 3A+ with the new SOC and the new RAM options that also works for me. :D

davidcoton

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:54 pm

Is it time to resurrect the request for the next Pi to include a Pink Pony?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:46 pm
In before the lock. ;)
In after the lock.

The feature set provided by Pi 4 Model B doesn't map quite as well to a Model A variant, as you can no longer just remove the ethernet/hub combo chip and make a smaller board. We're still ruminating about Compute Module 4 and what form factor a future "model A" variant will have, but don't expect a Pi 4 Model A any time soon.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “General discussion”