pi-tastic

4gb - 4B Demand must be high.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 pm

I am holding off in purchasing one until i can get my mits on a 4gig ram version.
Is is the demand high? or is there production issues/ strategic product placement going on?

I hear of a KIT for $120.00 that has everything needed. Would like to pick up one of those i think.
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

trejan

Re: 4gb - 4B Demand must be high.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:28 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 pm
Is is the demand high? or is there production issues/ strategic product placement going on?
High demand. They're making them as fast as they can but demand is still greater.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Kits are likely to stay in stock longer than bare boards as those that have been using Pis for a while (and--thus--are more likely to be after the Pi4B4) will just buy the bits they need that they don't already have plenty of, or can't set up a work-around for.

Andyroo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:52 pm

I also think international shipping has an impact.

The new Pi boards did not originally ship till after the launch and you now have the original delay to catch up on. It’s good to read that the Trading arm tries to spread the boards around rather than concentrate on just a few outlets.

pi-tastic

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 pm

do you think the 4gb kit version would come with a updated 4B case? maybe with a fan installed?

bomblord

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:33 pm

I went with the 4GB because well it's 4GB and I want to use it as a desktop but 2GB should be enough for 90% of standard raspberry pi level use cases

drgeoff

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
do you think the 4gb kit version would come with a updated 4B case? maybe with a fan installed?
If the vendor does not give exact details of what a kit contains why would you buy that kit?

scruss

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 pm

The supply situation in North America's a bit of a mess. OKdo (Allied / RS) are one of the importers from which official resellers (the ones listed on the Products page here) must buy, but OKdo appear to be supplying large-volume unofficial suppliers such as Digikey before the designated resellers.

It's no surprise that demand outstripped supply, but resellers being cut off from supplies appears to be a new thing.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:55 pm

When it comes to supplies... Make sure they're selling at list price. When supplies are tight (and especially early on) it may help to order from a UK supplier. Oddly enough, that includes OKdo. Pimoroni is another good choice. PiHut, not so much as they don't back out VAT for sales to the US.

I've just become much more interested in Chicago Electronic Distributors (actually located in Florida...go figure). I placed an order from them on Friday evening for some PSUs, with the cheapest available shipping (USPS). By Saturday morning, USPS had it. Expected delivery was listed as 30 July over the weekend. Expected delivery is now...today (29 July). This is unexpectedly fast service. Two other orders I made late Friday (one from Pimoroni and one from PiShop.us) sent out a shipping notice today, which I would consider normal.

pi-tastic

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

wow thanks for that tip!! -------^

pi-tastic

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:03 pm

drgeoff wrote:
pi-tastic wrote:
If the vendor does not give exact details of what a kit contains why would you buy that kit?
i think the kit is official raspberry pi.

Imperf3kt

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:03 pm
drgeoff wrote:
pi-tastic wrote:
i think the kit is official raspberry pi.
In that case, it'll come with the official case. ;)

The official case has no fan or ventilation, but you can easily fix that with a drill.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

scruss

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:22 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
I've just become much more interested in Chicago Electronic Distributors (actually located in Florida...go figure).
There's a reason for that. Jim, who does the day to day shipping, moved from Chicago to Florida. Craig, the owner, founded it in Chicago but then moved to Canada, where he runs Elmwood Electronics. I used to work for Craig in Toronto. Chicago Electronic Distributors is an official Raspberry Pi reseller in the US, Elmwood is not (yet?) in Canada.

(no, I no longer get a discount. and also no, I don't/didn't get early access to pre-release products. I'm still waiting for a Raspberry Pi 4, too.)

Chicago Electronic Distributors have just announced a really nice Raspberry Pi 4 case. Lots of space and airways for cooling.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:48 am

scruss wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:22 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I've just become much more interested in Chicago Electronic Distributors (actually located in Florida...go figure).
There's a reason for that. Jim, who does the day to day shipping, moved from Chicago to Florida. Craig, the owner, founded it in Chicago but then moved to Canada, where he runs Elmwood Electronics. I used to work for Craig in Toronto. Chicago Electronic Distributors is an official Raspberry Pi reseller in the US, Elmwood is not (yet?) in Canada.

(no, I no longer get a discount. and also no, I don't/didn't get early access to pre-release products. I'm still waiting for a Raspberry Pi 4, too.)

Chicago Electronic Distributors have just announced a really nice Raspberry Pi 4 case. Lots of space and airways for cooling.
What I just got in the mail is 3 Pi4 PSUs. That's the package I referred to above. I also have from them (earlier order) some rather nice little RTC modules that appear to have a low enough profile that they'll fit inside a case with no problems, and some 10mm*10mm*5mm copper heatsinks I'm going to try on a pair of Pi4B2 boards to see how they work. CED may become my replacement for MCM, now that Newark absorbed them and dropped at least one product I used to buy there.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:29 am

trejan wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:28 pm
High demand. They're making them as fast as they can but demand is still greater.
Also, from what I've seen posted here and elsewhere, it seems they may have thought the 2GB board would be the most popular and made more of them, which would explain why that model is the easiest to find, by far, at least in the USA (PiShop.us almost always has the 2GB in stock, and they shipped my order fast).

RPF/RPT seems to have severely underestimated the popularity of the 4GB. My launch day order from newark had its "Expected ship date" pushed back so many times I lost count (every time it got close to the ship date they pushed it back a few more days, until I finally got tired of that nonsense and ordered one from Pimoroni in the UK). Kits are a bit easier to find than bare boards, but the 4GB is still darn near impossible to get in the USA, unless you have nothing better to do than open tabs to all the reseller and refresh them repeatedly until you find one (or you were lucky enough to live near a Micro Center on launch day).

And yea, I know they have "Back in stock" notification sign up, and I can tell you it doesn't work (unless no reseller in the USA has ever received a Pi4 4GB, because I signed up with all of them and have not received any notifications, from anyone).

pi-tastic wrote:
There is no updated "official" case, and no plans to make one that I am aware of. You could either add a fan yourself, or get a different case. If you add a fan you'll also need to add some ventilation holes so the hot air can move out of the case.

I recently received my pre-ordered Flirc Pi 4B case, and it's quite nice (the aluminum alloy case has a post on top of the SoC and acts as a huge heatsink to keep the 4B cool without the additional power requirements, noise or dust problems associated with fans).
Flirc_RPi4.jpg
Flirc_RPi4.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

pi-tastic

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:38 pm

microcenter gets in 1gig versions.... they sell out and they get more a few days later... never any 2gig or 4gig versions. it just seems to me something strategic is going on. with 2gig and 4gig versions available it would be hard to buy a 1 gig version. That case ---^ looks pretty great! With the new firmware released in rpi-update 4.0ghz overclock are now allowed! extra cooling is going to be welcomed!

jerrm

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:03 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
it just seems to me something strategic is going on. with 2gig and 4gig versions available it would be hard to buy a 1 gig version.
Same at my Micro Center. 1GB boards have been almost always in stock. But no 2GB/4GB boards. I managed to grab a 2GB board early on, but I don't think my store has had them back in since.

Curious which is the right scenario:
  • RPF underestimated demand for the higher capacity boards.
  • Limited availability of the higher capacity chips.
  • Bundlers like CanaKit are getting priority.
  • Conspiracy Theorist View - They(RPF or MicroCenter) plan to sell more total units by selling boards to folks "settling" for the 1GB board for now, who then come back and buy another 2/4GB unit when in stock.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:55 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
microcenter gets in 1gig versions.... they sell out and they get more a few days later... never any 2gig or 4gig versions.
PiShop.us almost always has the 2GB in stock, and recently has had the 1GB in stock as well (no 4GB).
https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry ... del-b-2gb/
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:59 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:52 pm
I also think international shipping has an impact.

The new Pi boards did not originally ship till after the launch and you now have the original delay to catch up on. It’s good to read that the Trading arm tries to spread the boards around rather than concentrate on just a few outlets.
Yes and no... I ordered my first Pi4B from a UK supplier on what was Sunday evening where I live, and Monday morning of launch day in the UK. It was in stock and shipped promptly. The big problem for the US, as it has been explained, is that they can't be shipped into the US until the FCC paperwork is posted. Posting the US paperwork isn't done until the boards launch because some sharp-eyed person would see it if it were up pre-launch. So there's a delay of a few days between launch day, when a new Pi is available for sale in the UK, and stock availability in the US.

Part of the problem is that the RPF/RPT are extremely wary of the Osbourne Effect. At this point, I think it's pretty obvious that Pis are unlikely to suffer from that, but I really can't blame the RPF/RPT for worrying about it.

scruss

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:20 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
… The big problem for the US, as it has been explained, is that they can't be shipped into the US until the FCC paperwork is posted.
That, and this issue identified by a US-based official reseller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SxroOvDK8A

jerrm

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Yes and no... I ordered my first Pi4B from a UK supplier on what was Sunday evening where I live, and Monday morning of launch day in the UK. It was in stock and shipped promptly. The big problem for the US, as it has been explained, is that they can't be shipped into the US until the FCC paperwork is posted. Posting the US paperwork isn't done until the boards launch because some sharp-eyed person would see it if it were up pre-launch. So there's a delay of a few days between launch day, when a new Pi is available for sale in the UK, and stock availability in the US.

Part of the problem is that the RPF/RPT are extremely wary of the Osbourne Effect. At this point, I think it's pretty obvious that Pis are unlikely to suffer from that, but I really can't blame the RPF/RPT for worrying about it.
Delay was minimal for at least some outlets. I had my Pi4 from Micro Center in my hands Tuesday morning 6/25. I didn't check on Monday.

kennyc

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:42 am

Yeah... backorders everywhere now..... I got lucky and was able to order and have delivered a 4Gb Canakit from Amazon same-day-delivery last saturday 7/20.. it was the computer, heat sinks, power supply and switch (which is pretty convenient!).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXKY4Z9

I'm loving it.... posting this from it right now...

Good Luck all!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Blog: http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com/
Art: https://www.deviantart.com/kennyc
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

MisterEd

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 am

I ordered the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit - 32GB (4GB) directly from CanaKit on June 24th (same day it was announced). I didn't get it until July 24th. I was glad to finally get it but still had to wait until July 29th to get the Flirc case. Now I am happy :D

I just checked the CanaKit website. Everything seems to be in stock except the Raspberry Pi 4 Complete Starter Kit.

hippy

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:29 am
RPF/RPT seems to have severely underestimated the popularity of the 4GB.
That is true to form though I did note that in at least one published interview, not sure if Eben or someone else, they said it would be hard to tell what size would be most favoured.

More market research may have made that clearer but the RPT appears to favour going on gut instinct and making their own predictions which historically have underestimated demand, which has led to shortages immediately after release.

trejan

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 pm

They mentioned it on the RPi 4 launch blog post.
All three variants are launching today: we have initially built more of the 2GB variant than of the others, and will adjust the mix over time as we discover which one is most popular.

Return to “General discussion”