penk
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:36 am

Hi,

CutiePi is an open source project we’ve been tinkering with since February this year.
We learned a lot from this forum while building it, so it feels logical to announce it first here :-)

Image

See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN3FGvhz3sk

Features
- A custom designed CM3 Lite carrier board
- 8 inch MIPI DSI display, RTL8723BS WiFi/BT, STM32 MCU (for power management and battery level monitoring), gyroscope, and more
- Usable touch friendly UI on top of Raspbian Buster, including a system wide virtual keyboard and a terminal emulator based on Qt, as the name suggested
- Relatively slim dimensions 209 (W) x 124 (H) x 12 (D) mm, 3D printable enclosure, we even crammed a 5000 mAh Li-Po battery into it
- 100% open source hardware design -- we paid for the PCB layout, and released all files, including schematics, gerbers, BOM, drivers, firmware, UI, everything :lol:

Source: https://github.com/cutiepi-io/cutiepi-board

We’re going to make a DVT batch PCBs in August, and would love to hear your opinion! If you’re interested in future updates please sign up here: https://cutiepi.io

Happy Hacking!
Last edited by penk on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 1479
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:28 am

The board looks nice, thanks for sharing and good luck with the project!

Part which I'm most interrested in is the MIPI DSI display! Which display did you use, how did you connect and where to find the driver(s)? And: which OS are you using (as you can use dual finger gestures)?

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 am

They are using a DRM based Linux driver, looks good I assume you're using full KMS interface rather than the fake KMS?

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

penk
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:28 am
The board looks nice, thanks for sharing and good luck with the project!

Part which I'm most interrested in is the MIPI DSI display! Which display did you use, how did you connect and where to find the driver(s)? And: which OS are you using (as you can use dual finger gestures)?
Thanks for noticing, DSI enablement is indeed the most tricky part. :D

For display we chose a model "AML080C01ABE00C-00" from taobao (https://m.tb.cn/h.eRTRAd9), it has a JD9366 for LCD controller, and uses Goodix GT9xx for touch panel.

You can find all the drivers, dts, and overlay configs in cutiepi-drivers repository on Github. And of course it's on Raspbian Buster, the application is a simple Qt WebEngine (Chromium based renderer) view.
Last edited by penk on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

penk
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:55 am

gsh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 am
They are using a DRM based Linux driver, looks good I assume you're using full KMS interface rather than the fake KMS?

Gordon
Yes, it's using vc4-kms-v3d overlay, and we plan to ship some wayland compositor for the UI.

drewpotter
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:31 pm

This looks totally awesome. I think it would be great for educational use. I was just wondering if you are using something like QtWayland for the user interface?

penk
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm

drewpotter wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:31 pm
This looks totally awesome. I think it would be great for educational use. I was just wondering if you are using something like QtWayland for the user interface?
Oh yes, we're working on a QtWayland based compositor (will be open source too when it's done), also trying to support existing XWindow apps via XWayland (in progress).

drewpotter
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Re: CutiePi - a CM3 based open source tablet

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:32 pm

penk wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm
drewpotter wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:31 pm
This looks totally awesome. I think it would be great for educational use. I was just wondering if you are using something like QtWayland for the user interface?
Oh yes, we're working on a QtWayland based compositor (will be open source too when it's done), also trying to support existing XWindow apps via XWayland (in progress).
Wow that is great! QtWayland is a very exciting technology. I had been hoping to see an open source tablet with a QtWayland based compositor and now here is the answer! I can't wait to see the end result and looking especially forward to the QtWayland based compositor when that gets released.

Return to “Compute Module”