Beorn_Bear

Fan SHIM with Official Raspberry Pi White/Red Case

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Has anyone installed a Fan SHIM with Official Raspberry Pi White/Red Case?! I would like to know if this would work well.

Beorn_Bear

Re: Fan SHIM with Official Raspberry Pi White/Red Case

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Does the case heat up?! There does not appear to be much options for ventilation in this case!

trejan

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 pm
Does the case heat up?! There does not appear to be much options for ventilation in this case!
Yeah. I leave the top half of the case off. The fan does help a bit even when inside a closed case but you'll see a significantly lower temperature by leaving the top off. Some people have drilled some ventilation holes into the case instead.

Jimblob64

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 pm

When I leave the top off the official case, I rarely see it go above 40°C for more than a couple seconds.

With the official case top on, it still heats up to 50-68°C eventually, but very slowly, which is still a win for the shim.
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

Beorn_Bear

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:14 am

Even though the White and Red Raspberry Pi case looks good, would the HighPi Raspberry Pi Case for Pi4 provide any significant differences to airflow?! Would it just be worthwhile to wait for the Flirc Case for the Raspberry PI 4?! I use the Flirc Case for my raspberry pi 3 B+

Jimblob64

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm

If you're using the fan shim, a case with at least some small airflow is going to be more help to it than a completely closed one.

High temperature may not bother everyone, but as soon as I figure out how to add a couple of discreet ventilation spots in my official case that won't compromise its purpose of keeping dog hair off GPIO pins, I will.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:15 pm

Jimblob64 wrote:
...but as soon as I figure out how to add a couple of discreet ventilation spots in my official case that won't compromise its purpose of keeping dog hair off GPIO pins, I will.
When you drill holes of whatever vents are included, glue a section of pantyhose to some sort of frame (cardboard?) and attach that either on the outside or inside of the vent.
I suggest to place it on a supporting frame and not glue it directly to the case, so you may occasionally remove it for cleaning when necessary.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

cspan

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:12 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Jimblob64 wrote:
...but as soon as I figure out how to add a couple of discreet ventilation spots in my official case that won't compromise its purpose of keeping dog hair off GPIO pins, I will.
When you drill holes of whatever vents are included, glue a section of pantyhose to some sort of frame (cardboard?) and attach that either on the outside or inside of the vent.
I suggest to place it on a supporting frame and not glue it directly to the case, so you may occasionally remove it for cleaning when necessary.
I'd suggest testing this with and without the pantyhose. As a backpacker and tent camper, it's been my experience that mesh (e.g., noseeum mesh, which might not even be as dense as pantyhose) sharply reduces airflow. Sure, some gets through, but it's surprising how much warmer it can get behind mesh, esp. if there's no breeze. My guess is that it will block too much, and that you'd be better off with a can of compressed air and a quick weekly blast of the board.

Imperf3kt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:17 am

cspan wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:12 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Jimblob64 wrote:
I'd suggest testing this with and without the pantyhose. As a backpacker and tent camper, it's been my experience that mesh (e.g., noseeum mesh, which might not even be as dense as pantyhose) sharply reduces airflow. Sure, some gets through, but it's surprising how much warmer it can get behind mesh, esp. if there's no breeze. My guess is that it will block too much, and that you'd be better off with a can of compressed air and a quick weekly blast of the board.
It's worked well for me in a ventilated case with a different SBC that gets a bit hotter than the Pi4b does, for about two years now, I don't see any issues with it.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

iandstanley

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Jimblob64 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 pm
When I leave the top off the official case, I rarely see it go above 40°C for more than a couple seconds.

With the official case top on, it still heats up to 50-68°C eventually, but very slowly, which is still a win for the shim.
Is this the Official Pi 3 case or the Official Pi 4 case?

Jimblob64

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:58 am

The Pi 4 case. I do have a Pi 3B in the official Pi 3 Case, no heatsink, fan, or ventilation, and that one only overheats if I watch full-screen 1080p YouTube for more than 20 minutes, which it does struggle to do.

The 3B in its official case can get slightly warm-feeling under heavy use, but nothing like as toasty as an idle 4 in its own case.

Return to “General discussion”