c4n1

Disable all boot text in Buster

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 am

I was able to get all boot text disabled in Stretch but Buster isn't taking the same config, can anyone suggest what needs to change to remove all the boot text?

Current /boot/cmdline.txt that's not working

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty3 root=PARTUUID=4df3c5f0-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet loglevel=0 rd.systemd.show_status=false udev.log_priority=0 plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles logo.nologo vt.global_cursor_default=0
Last edited by c4n1 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

gordon77

Re: DIsable all boot text in Buster

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Are you booting to GUI or CLI ?

When I wrote the SD card I left it to automatically boot to GUI, and there was no text at boot up.

BUT after going into 'Preferences' and choosing boot to CLI, booting and then changing back to boot to GUI it now shows all the text at boot !!

PeterO

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:27 pm

This behaviour existed on previous releases as well.... Swaping from GUI to CLI and back to GUI does not get back to the same state.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

c4n1

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 pm

Annoyingly less fun work caught up with me. I'm booting into the GUI with the intention of running a kiosk style application on chrome. The reason I need the text gone is that I want a logo / loading screen up whilst the device starts chrome. I had been doing this using fbi but with the boot text the image gets overwritten with the text. I hadn't swapped between CLI and GUI boots on this write of the OS so I don't think that should have affected it.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Disable all boot text in Buster

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:43 pm

It's a bit fiddly but for an internal test we did this on a buildroot image so something similar should work in a Buster image on Pi4

The workaround was to completely disable tty1 in inittab as well as quiet etc

sed -i "s,^tty1::respawn:.*$,," ${TARGET_DIR}/etc/inittab

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 pm

There's no /etc/inittab with Systemd.

Think again.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Andyroo

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 pm

There are a few notes for Debian to add quiet systemd.show_status=0 to cmdline.txt but it will not address any fsck messages.

I do not have a monitored Pi at the mo to test for you...

c4n1

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:05 am

Unfortunately none of the suggestions so far have got rid of all the text. I've decided to go a different way and instead of using fbi /fmi to swap through several images on boot I've replaced the image in /usr/share/plymouth/themes/pix/splash.png with some full screen branding, removed the panel by commenting everything in the below file (sed included for ease)

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/^\([^#]\)/#\1/g' /etc/xdg/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel
and lastly used the same branding image I swapped the splash for as the desktop image. This keeps things looking clean until chromium starts for my kiosk application. It would be nice to keep using fbi / fmi for the loading spinner I had previously but for now I'm happy to have something that looks clean and works.

Return to “Advanced users”