reenigne

Kernel updating and Stretch being bumped to 4.19.57

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm

How should the kernel be updated on Raspbian? Raspberry Pi docs say to use rpi-update, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

However, the raspberrypi-kernel package was updated on July 9th 2019 and published in apt.

Code: Select all

dpkg -s raspberrypi-kernel
Package: raspberrypi-kernel
Priority: optional
Section: kernel
Installed-Size: 122926
Maintainer: Serge Schneider <[email protected]>
Architecture: armhf
Source: raspberrypi-firmware
Version: 1.20190709~stretch-1
Replaces: raspberrypi-bootloader (<< 1.20160324-1)
Provides: linux-image
Breaks: raspberrypi-bootloader (<< 1.20160324-1)
Conffiles:
 /etc/default/raspberrypi-kernel aa1f56ed7333c9749dba288036f96334
Description: Raspberry Pi bootloader
 This package contains the Raspberry Pi Linux kernel.
Homepage: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware

$ apt-cache showpkg raspberrypi-kernel
Package: raspberrypi-kernel
Versions: 
1.20190709~stretch-1 (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.raspberrypi.org_debian_dists_stretch_main_binary-armhf_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.raspberrypi.org_debian_dists_stretch_main_binary-armhf_Packages
                  MD5: 7536ab227cf13dcddacdeb86a3d06624

Reverse Depends: 
  raspberrypi-bootloader,raspberrypi-kernel
Dependencies: 
1.20190709~stretch-1 - raspberrypi-bootloader (3 1.20160324-1) raspberrypi-bootloader (3 1.20160324-1) 
Provides: 
1.20190709~stretch-1 - linux-image (= ) 
Reverse Provides: 

$ uname -a
Linux RPIfirmwareDebug 4.19.57-v7+ #1244 SMP Thu Jul 4 18:45:25 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

There's a couple concerning things.
1) rpi-update and the apt package have their source in different repos.
2) https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commits/next shows kernel 4.19.20 as next but kernel 4.19.57 was published in apt.
3) As best I can tell the kernel was bumped from 4.19.19 to 4.19.57 without testing intermediate releases.

I'd like to understand how kernel updating should be done on Raspbian and what's going on with the apt package.

For ref, rpi-update repo is https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/stable

DirkS

Re: Kernel updating and Stretch being bumped to 4.19.57

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 pm

reenigne wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm
How should the kernel be updated on Raspbian? Raspberry Pi docs say to use rpi-update, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
No, it doesn't. It says
If you use the standard Raspbian update/upgrade process (found here), this will automatically update the kernel to the latest stable version. This is the recommended procedure.

DougieLawson

Re: Kernel updating and Stretch being bumped to 4.19.57

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 pm

The apt package(s) have the stable / tested kernel and bootcode.

rpi-update gets whatever the RPF folks are testing, developing and debugging this week.

If you don't know how to recover from an unbootable SDCard in less than 20 minutes you should NEVER run rpi-update. If you want to be a kernel tester you need to know what's changing and how to spot that kernel oops was caused by rpi-update. You also need to be able to write a sane and coherent issue on Github when things go wrong AND be prepared to work with the RPF folks to get diagnotics and to test alpha versions of their fixes to get things fixed. It's got to be a two-way process. There's no room for the folks who run rpi-update, break their system then bleat on here about it.

Pay attention to the warning notice:

Code: Select all

#############################################################
WARNING: 'rpi-update' updates to pre-releases of the linux kernel tree and Videocore firmware.

'rpi-update' should only be used if there is a specific reason to do so - for example, a request by a Raspberry Pi engineer.

DO NOT use 'rpi-update' as part of a regular update process.
##############################################################
The apt package will follow behind rpi-update by a few weeks (at least) when the RPF folks are sure their latest bug fixes aren't worse than the disease(s) they're curing.

It's all been a bit more fluid since the launch of the RPi4B (as expected) and that means the regular users really should steer clear of rpi-update unless an expert tells them it will solve their problems.

I, frequently, run rpi-update on lots of my machines but not on my AIY box, my Kodi machine, my ADS-B receiver or the Zero that monitors temp and pressure in my sitting room. I'm also working on getting all raspberries upgraded from Stretch to Buster when I'm not away on a business trip.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Raspbian”