Giga_Pi

Don't want Raspian Buster!

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am

Hi all!

So, with the release of Raspian Buster, I thought I would give it a go with the raspberry pi 3B+ (Don't have a Pi 4 yet).

I installed with noobs, as I like the dual boot feature, and rebooted.

I chose desktop with recommended applications to start with, and then I ran into a wall I ran into a while back with the Pi 2: Applications weren't running on my Pi!

With this happening to me again for the fifth time in a row, I decided to go for raspian lite, turn on openGL, and run KDE Plasma. However, unlike Stretch, it failed yet again, with the window manager not running.

After these two disappointing experiments, I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't use Buster, and I should use stretch, however unsecure it may be.

However, the raspberry pi foundation don't have any way of getting the older images, and so I turned to the public, and I'm now asking this question: Is there anyway of recovering stretch? Thanks

Giga_Pi
Microsoft can't help their neighbors, that's bad, hackers, that's bad!

pcmanbob

Re: Don't want Raspian Buster!

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:15 pm

You can download raspbian stretch image files from here

with GUI
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

lite
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/

last version of stretch is dated 9-4-2019
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Hi all!

So, with the release of Raspian Buster, I thought I would give it a go with the raspberry pi 3B+ (Don't have a Pi 4 yet).

I chose desktop with recommended applications to start with, and then I ran into a wall I ran into a while back with the Pi 2: Applications weren't running on my Pi!

With this happening to me again for the fifth time in a row, I decided to go for raspian lite, turn on openGL, and run KDE Plasma. However, unlike Stretch, it failed yet again, with the window manager not running.

After these two disappointing experiments, I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't use Buster, and I should use stretch, however unsecure it may be.

However, the raspberry pi foundation don't have any way of getting the older images, and so I turned to the public, and I'm now asking this question: Is there anyway of recovering stretch? Thanks

Giga_Pi
Unless you tell us what the problem with Buster is, we won't know what to fix. All future development will be Buster based, so moving to it will be the best option in the future.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Hi all!

Giga_Pi

Never used the NoobS installer / chooser, not a true dual-boot and wastes SD Card space.

I have run "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software" since release and find it little different to Stretch so far...

....in the past 3 weeks many updates.
Retired disgracefully.....

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:43 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:05 pm
Giga_Pi wrote:
Hi all!

Giga_Pi
Unless you tell us what the problem with Buster is, we won't know what to fix. All future development will be Buster based, so moving to it will be the best option in the future.
Apllications wouldn't startup properly on my Pi 3B +. I found this with the Pi 2 and stretch.

PeterO

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Applications start up fine on mine, :shock:

Do you see the problem now ? :roll:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Giga_Pi

Oh and the CPU usage would be 0% as it was trying to startup an applicatio, so proof it wasn't running properly.

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm

PeterO wrote:

PeterO
And no, I don't see the issue

RaTTuS

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Apllications wouldn't startup properly on my Pi 3B +. I found this with the Pi 2 and stretch.
which apps ?
so something weird with your setup on a Pi2 and 3 in stretch
so you're on Jessie?
and now well behind
again what apps
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Andyroo

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
PeterO wrote:

PeterO
It’s a subtle hint - unless you tell us what you are running and what errors you see the best you will get is nothing - the worst is sarcastic answers like this...

The Pi 5 may come with crystal balls but I doubt it and most folk here lost theirs in the great fire a few years ago.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

PeterO

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
PeterO wrote:

PeterO
The issue is that you don't know what applications I'm talking about, and I don't know what applications you are talking about.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Right, the applications I remember not working are:

Minecraft Pi
QT5 settings
Theme and Appearance settings

The cursor with do the loading thing, but the CPU shows 0 or 1 percent usage, and then the cursor returns to normal with no application running.

Anyway, that's not half my problem.

I still want to have KDE Plasma working with the OpenGL driver, and it no longer works with buster.

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm

so you're on Jessie?

No I never used jessie

jamesh

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:18 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:09 pm
Right, the applications I remember not working are:

Minecraft Pi
QT5 settings
Theme and Appearance settings

The cursor with do the loading thing, but the CPU shows 0 or 1 percent usage, and then the cursor returns to normal with no application running.

Anyway, that's not half my problem.

I still want to have KDE Plasma working with the OpenGL driver, and it no longer works with buster.
Minecraft Pi should work fine on all the Pi range running Buster.
Not sure what Theme and appearance is - it might have been renamed to just APpearance in Buster/Raspberry Pi Desktop.

KDE plasma is not our desktop so I cannot comment on that.

I think it would be worth trying the latest Buster, you might find a lot of stuff is now working that you thought might not be.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 pm
... and most folk here lost theirs in the great fire a few years ago.
I got lucky in the Great Crystal Ball Disaster of 1989. There was no collateral damage. Losing it didn't half make debugging software problems harder. I had to start talking to the programmers and listening as they told me their woes in all the gory detail along with tales of their family life and what they'd watched on TV. It was so different.

When my crystal ball was online I could just wait for them to come into my office and tell them "Your decimal exception is in line 356 of the validate_input routine in program xyzzy173." and send them away with simple fix and a flea in their ear.

I don't want Buster, I think I'll string it out and wait for Raspbian Bullseye in 2021.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Right, first off, Theme and Appearance was there, and was 1/3 of the only appearance setting there were available.

Second, KDE Plasma had worked with stretch, not buster.

rainer.brito

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

ahnmm...

Advice from an addictive Rpi 3B+ fan?

Just try the official Buster image (I mean, the Rpi foundation official image). Use etcher and, friend, you're going to have a very smooth experience there. This is the official, secure and best way for a desktop experience with your Rpi.

Best regards,

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 pm

Yeah I use that when I can't use noobs, but I find using that is a pain as I am not an administrator, so I always need an administrtor around, which is why I use NOOBS instead of etcher.

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 pm

And anyway, I love KDE Plasma, which is why I loved raspian lite instead of full

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 pm
Yeah I use that when I can't use noobs, but I find using that is a pain as I am not an administrator, so I always need an administrtor around, which is why I use NOOBS instead of etcher.
Why do you need to be an administrator? Eg. is that because you "need" to write to your uSDHC card for a Pi on another (Windows?) m/c?
If the that's the case why not simply invest in a uSDHC compatible USB-based card reader/writer, plug that into your Pi (running an older, working version of Raspbian) and use that to write a newer (Buster) image: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s/linux.md
(In other words use a known, working, Linux system & methods to create/write a uSDHC card of an updated/new Linux system:
FWIW, an old example here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... lPi3B.html )
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Giga_Pi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Actually, I use ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:30 pm
Actually, I use ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Presumably someone else is the admin who installed that for you (on what type of m/c)?
I used to run Ubuntu on an Acer netbook - since I installed that myself obviously I had admin access. But, as previously indicated, if you've a working, but, maybe older, Linux (Raspbian?) system on a Pi you only need a USB card reader/writer to use Linux methods to create/write an updated image to a card for said Pi. (You don't indicate where you're based, but in the U.K. such can be obtained for £1!***)
Trev.
*** eg. 'S' here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... lection.22
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Giga_Pi

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:22 am

The machine is an average laptop that'sactually a family shared laptop. Balena provide AppleImages, so I just needed to unzip, and then run the app.

I did have my own laptop, but I tried Balena etcher on there, and it just crashed. That's probably because the my laptop is very very slow.

Anyway, I think what I should mention is that I just asked for a previous download list, and someone gave it to me.

I completely understand that buster is the way forward, but really, I think I'll only buster for a Pi 4 when I get one.

Again thanks for the troubleshooting advice, and I'll test buster today to see if I can troubleshoot any of my problems (Well, I think KDE Plasma is now only in the hands of the Pi 4 with the release of buster).

I'll post my findings on this topic.

Thanks

Giga_Pi

Giga_Pi

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am

Okay, I was wrong: Raspian Buster does work. Must have been a failed installation or something, but everything is now running smoothly.

Thanks every one, and can someone please thank the team behind the development of raspian, as I am deeply pleased at how they are able to support every raspberry pi model with one OS. Thanks again

Giga_Pi

rainer.brito

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Nice!

That is it: long live to ours 3B+! Raspbian buster make it even better. Maybe one day Pi4 will have enough love as 3B+ has :mrgreen:

Best regards,

Return to “Raspbian”