Arinmal

Raspberry Pi 4 nas in PC Case

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Hello everyone! Had a few questions and not finding what I'm looking for on Google search.

I have an htpc case with PC components in it running pfsense, since the case has lots of room I was also hoping to put a pi 4 inside the case and power it with the ATX PSU. Was gonna turn it into a nas with a few drives. Kinda all in one unit and remove a few extra plugs from the wall. All I would need is a PCI cover with HDMI and a usb.

Not sure if I explained it well enough but I could take pictures.

Is this possible?

My current setup is a gaming router with 2 external drives setup. I just built/added the pfsense box today and want to consolidate a bunch of stuff into one PC Case.

Thanks in advance for any info

Andyroo

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 nas in PC Case

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

If you can build an insulated mounting bracket for the Pi, there is no reason why it should not work. Maybe cable tie a cased Pi to a disk tray and USB the other drives internally.

Power maybe OK if you dedicate one 5V output but that will depend on your power supply.

You may need to look at how the Pi will be turned off when the power is switched off though. You may have closed the PC OS (say Windows) but you do not want it to kill the power till the Pi is off...

christopholous

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:40 pm

I like this idea, a pi nas hidden inside a pc! :idea:
Your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.

thagrol

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Concidentally I've just repurposed an old Morex Venus 669 case into a Pi based NAS.

No PC components in there though and a few tweaks are still needed.

Some of this should be helpful to you.
  • Check the output ratings on your PSU. If the case has an external laptop type power brick the available current will likely be much lower than that with an internal ATX PSU. So much so that what you want may not be possible.
  • Most ATX PSUs I've encountered provide around 2.5amps on the 5v standby line. Unless you PC motherboard is particularly hungry there should be enough left over to power a Pi 2 or earlier (not sure about Pi 3, 3+ and 4 they have larger power requirements). There may be enough current available to run a Pi and a 2.5" SSD/HDD but thats up to you to work out.
  • 3.5" and 5.25" drive need 12v as well as 5v. That's only available once the PSU is fully on.
  • Most ATX PSU can be switched on by connecting two wries on the motherboard connector (for example https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides ... u_startup/)
  • Sudden powerloss is bad. Having the Pi running from the 5v standby line but the drive(s) from the "normal" ATX connectors with their power controlled by the PC motherboard is also bad. There ways to reduce risk:
    • Read only filesystem(s). Tricky to set up for the OS amd no good if you need writeable storage shared via your NAS.
    • The sync mount option coupled with a journaling filessystem. Won't prevent everything but you shouldn't end up with unflushed write buffers.
    • Connect the case buttons to the Pi and have the Pi control the powerstate of the PC motherboard and/or PSU. The case buttons are single pole momentary switches that just complete the circuit between the header pins. There are a number of ways to get a Pi to do this via its GPIO.
    • Leave everything on all the time. You'll have to do that for the NAS portion anyway.
  • For mounting my 4B, I went with this: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pibo ... 1048948309 PC cases are expected to have loose wires and exposed pin headers inside. The point here was to insuate the base of the Pi from the case. The other two Pi (an A+ and a 1B) were already in pibow cases.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

Arinmal

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 pm

I have a 500w EVGA? Power supply. The pi already has the battery power add-on with a 3000mah battery and can be mounted/bolted on one of the cases air vents. That way I could be logged into the pi and actually reboot the pfsense box and watch for it to come back online.

I mean the other option is to do a barebones VM and just run everything but I wanna try to use a pi and have some fun...

:)

thagrol

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Arinmal wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 pm
I have a 500w EVGA? Power supply.
That's the total power available over all rails on the PSU. Unfortunately it's not that simple. Those 500W are not split evenly across all voltages/rails. There should be a label on the PSU that breaks down how many amps are availble on which voltages.
The pi already has the battery power add-on with a 3000mah battery and can be mounted/bolted on one of the cases air vents. That way I could be logged into the pi and actually reboot the pfsense box and watch for it to come back online.
I'm not familiar with any "battery power add-on" for Pi and I guess no-one will be able to help without more specific data on said add on. If you're going to use it as NAS check that it can supply enough curent to run both the Pi and any SSD/HDD you have connected. That's not 3000mAH, that's the battery capacity not how much it can deliver at anyone moment.

Regardless of that, if you intend to run 3.5" or 5.25" drives, you'll need to boost its output to 12v for them.

As for remote reboot of a PC via a Pi, been there, done that. See https://github.com/thagrol/fakewake
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

Arinmal

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm

When I get home I'll take screenshots and explain in detail.

Thanks for replying!

Return to “Networking and servers”