aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: I didn't think the usb c power thing was a big deal...

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:42 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:48 pm
noggin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:38 am
The Wimbledon Centre Court coverage has been 2160p50 all tournament - some people might quite like to watch that on their Pi4B!
Really? Did they succeed?
I am not an expert, but that surely occurred on Pay-TV, didn't it?
So the RPi should be able to decode# PayTV and render the [email protected]/60FPS...
Which application would do? Please tell me!
well, then I need to ask my medical customers why they want to have displays which have 120Hz or even 240Hz (at 8k resolution).
Maybe there are applications beyond what you know.
Sure, the host is not a Pi.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:33 pm
That's a good name. I do like a bit of entitlement myself.
But why the plural? Isn't it usually the other way around, one person, many accounts?
Three classes of people are--grammatically--held to be able use a plural pronoun for themselves. They are: Royalty (aka the royal we), editors (particularly, newspaper editors), and people with tapeworms.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Here's an independent site talking about the USB_C issue, and how much of a problem it isn't.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... 39869.html
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

davidcoton

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 pm

jamesh wrote:
Here's an independent site talking about the USB_C issue, and how much of a problem it isn't.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1500305tml
Wrong link?
Signature retired

jamesh

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:44 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 pm
jamesh wrote:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1500305tml
Wrong link?
Indeed - C&P error. Have fixed in original post.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:05 am

jamesh wrote:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... 39869.html
Cheapest 'known working' cable from that link is USD6.90 --> the cost of a 1GB Pi4 is no longer USD35, it's now starting from (nearly) USD42 if users want to be on the save side.

A single resistor is starting from USD0.09 ...

Wouldn't call it a 'minor issue' if users have to pay nearly the same amount for a cable as for the official PSU (which is sold @ USD8 by some official US dealers)

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:45 am

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
A single resistor is starting from USD0.09 ...
I would be shocked if any resistor on the Pi4B is purchased for as much a tenth of that price.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 am

Wouldn't call it a 'minor issue' if users have to pay nearly the same amount for a cable as for the official PSU...
I would.

Seriously, what's with all the whiners on the Pi4? :cry: :cry: :cry:

When people had trouble powering the Pi3 with phone chargers and we suggested buying the official PSU, most did that and were happy that it worked. There wasn't all this bellyaching and drama. :roll:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wouldn't call it a 'minor issue' if users have to pay nearly the same amount for a cable as for the official PSU...
I would.

Seriously, what's with all the whiners on the Pi4? :cry: :cry: :cry:

When people had trouble powering the Pi3 with phone chargers and we suggested buying the official PSU, most did that and were happy that it worked. There wasn't all this bellyaching and drama. :roll:
I'm not whining as I can afford to buy multiple RPi4 + official power supplies + official MicroHDMI cables.

But I'm not the bar! There are people here which can hardly afford to buy a Pi. And if the end up with an incompatible cable they might be facing a serious challange to start using the Pi.

I also bought the microUSB to USB-C adapter but have not tested it yet. So why leave customers with a problem if the foundation (!) can easily solve it by simply adding the adapter to the affected production lot?

davidcoton

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am

There are people here which can hardly afford to buy a Pi.
Is that because they've spent their money on overpriced premium computer systems?

Those on a budget probably don't have the expensive (currently incompatible) e-marked cables in the first place.
Anyone who can afford e-marked cables and the kit that needs it, can easily afford an official Pi PSU.
Signature retired

jamesh

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 am

davidcoton wrote:
Is that because they've spent their money on overpriced premium computer systems?

Those on a budget probably don't have the expensive (currently incompatible) e-marked cables in the first place.
Anyone who can afford e-marked cables and the kit that needs it, can easily afford an official Pi PSU.
This. Some cables that don't work - Apple Macbook charger - cost £90, plus £20 for a cable. My Dell laptop dock - $209.

Stuff that works - Raspberry Pi power supply, $8, or adapter $1, or batch of 3 cables from Amazon, £6.49

Sorry about mixing currencies, life's too short to convert.

uilfut

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 am

jamesh wrote:
My Dell laptop dock - $209.
Figured you more as a ThinkPad user.

Admire your patience dealing with some of the "fatal flaws" flogged to death on here.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am

Gotta love the nonsense people will come up with just to keep whining. And yes, you are, or you would easily see the flaw in your logic. :roll:

This is just trolling, plain and simple.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

incognitum

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am

davidcoton wrote:
Some may have access to more expensive stuff then they own themselves though.
E.g. kid that bought his own Pi, but planned to borrow the charger of dad's (or mom's) Macbook.
And that Macbook may actually not even be owned by the parent, but provided by their employer.

davidcoton

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am

incognitum wrote:
Some may have access to more expensive stuff then they own themselves though.
E.g. kid that bought his own Pi, but planned to borrow the charger of dad's (or mom's) Macbook.
And that Macbook may actually not even be owned by the parent, but provided by their employer.
Possible, yes. But employers that supply a Macbook, but pay low salaries so an $8 PSU is not possible, must be vanishingly rare.
Unless you can prove otherwise, I shall treat your argument as pure trolling.
Signature retired

drgeoff

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:35 am

incognitum wrote:
davidcoton wrote:
In which case the kid should not be using the Macbook PSU. The employer has not provided it for such use.

hippy

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 am

jamesh wrote:
Some cables that don't work - Apple Macbook charger - cost £90, plus £20 for a cable. My Dell laptop dock - $209.
I suspect anyone who paid that much for something just to power their Pi needs their faculties testing. But it's not unreasonable for people who already have one to moan when it doesn't work, that they have to buy something else and spend more money to make it work.

It really comes down to how much right they have to moan. I can't buy into "they have no right to complain", or worse that when they do they are "haters", "whiners" or "trolls".

I frequently pick up very expensive bits of kit quite cheaply, because many people don't consider that worth what it is worth - After all, what good is a Macbook charger without a Macbook, and even vice-versa ? We know, but they don't. They often won't even know what it is they are effectively 'giving away'.

I bought a tie-wrap gun a couple of weeks ago for a quid, and was absolutely blown away by how much that would have cost new -

https://uk.farnell.com/panduit/gs2b/cab ... dp/1826713

I might not have paid full price, but having that, I don't think it would be entirely unreasonable to complain if the Pi came with tie-wraps which somehow did not work with that. And someone who had paid full price would have even more right to complain.

IMO it would be better to just say "sorry about that" than simply dismiss their complaint or suggest they have no right to complain.

jamesh

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 am

I think that's enough use case analysis/trolling accusations on this one.

To answer the OP, you are correct, it's not a big deal. It's been made out as a big deal by some people, but we believe they are wrong. It will be fixed in a board revision, in the meantime, if you feel that you do not wish to continue using the Pi4 because of this issue, please return it to the supplier for a refund.

Return to “General discussion”