DarkoSan
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Pi NAS – 3 USB 3.0 HDDs and Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB RAM, Powered USB Hub Suggestion?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

I would like to build a small NAS with the new Pi 4. As it has two USB 3.0 ports. My idea is to have
3 x 4 TB WD Elements Portable USB 3.0 and One Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB RAM
Here comes the big question how to power all the HDDs and the Pi?
I would like to use one USB 3.0 Powered Hub for both powering all devices and data transfer.
Could you please suggest one that you are sure would have enough Power and have all the required protections(back-powering) as explained in RPi Powered USB Hubs

Other alternative is to use the Powered Hub just for the HDDs and power the Pi with OEM Power Supply.

LTolledo
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: Pi NAS – 3 USB 3.0 HDDs and Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB RAM, Powered USB Hub Suggestion?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 pm

DarkoSan wrote: Other alternative is to use the Powered Hub just for the HDDs and power the Pi with OEM Power Supply.
This is a better choice if the HDDs are not self-powered, just like the WD Elements Portable

You need to get advise on known working self-powered USB3.0 hubs for the RPi, as not all self-powered USB 3.0 hubs work on the RPi.

however for self-powered portable drives, its better to plug directly to RPi's USB port.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

User avatar
pi-anazazi
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:22 pm
Location: EU

Re: Pi NAS – 3 USB 3.0 HDDs and Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB RAM, Powered USB Hub Suggestion?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am

Get an old (midi) tower computer case with power supply and build you NAS inside, running fine here for years and safes you a lot of pain.
Kind regards

anazazi

ejolson
Posts: 3425
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Pi NAS – 3 USB 3.0 HDDs and Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB RAM, Powered USB Hub Suggestion?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 pm
DarkoSan wrote: Other alternative is to use the Powered Hub just for the HDDs and power the Pi with OEM Power Supply.
This is a better choice if the HDDs are not self-powered, just like the WD Elements Portable

You need to get advise on known working self-powered USB3.0 hubs for the RPi, as not all self-powered USB 3.0 hubs work on the RPi.

however for self-powered portable drives, its better to plug directly to RPi's USB port.
I would have thought the caveat on USB3 hubs only applied when connecting them to USB2 ports and not to the Pi 4B.

Has anyone with a USB3 hub that didn't work with the 3B+ been able to test it on the Pi 4B?

User avatar
thagrol
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Darkest Somerset, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Pi NAS – 3 USB 3.0 HDDs and Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB RAM, Powered USB Hub Suggestion?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 pm

pi-anazazi wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am
Get an old (midi) tower computer case with power supply and build you NAS inside, running fine here for years and safes you a lot of pain.
Second that. Though in my case it's an old mini-ITX case...
This space unintentionally left blank.

Return to “Networking and servers”