DougieLawson

Re: 64-bit Gentoo Running on RPi4! (First Boot / Proof of Concept)

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:40 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:16 am
The folks that build non-Raspbian things might have Arch and Ubuntu working on the Pi4 by then. Which should dispel the troll's wild and incredible conspiracy theory.
Is that a month from release or month after we get the peripheral manual?
Will a new edition of the Videocore manual be needed?
I meant a naïve calendar month from now (two weeks after launch).

Kali Linux have launched for RPi4 (although it looks like they steal a copy of Raspbian Lite for their base OS).
Sakaki is working on Gentoo64.
I'd guess Arch will appear very soon.
Ubuntu will be late (based on them getting support for 3B and 3B+).
Windows 10 IoT won't happen - because they appear to have lost interest in supporting the latest RPi hardware.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

cjan

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:14 am

does VC6 firmware & driver 64bit support?

Gavinmc42

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 am

I think the Pi4 is using the mesa OpenGL open source code, you just compile that for 64bit instead of 32bit.
In the Linux source that would be the V3D source not the VC4 source.

As for the VC6 firmware, ie hellopi... I have not seen any of that yet.
Whoops someone snuck some updates in.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... c/hello_pi

Try compiling in 64bit?
Probably check it works 32bit Raspbian first?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

cjan

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 am
I think the Pi4 is using the mesa OpenGL open source code, you just compile that for 64bit instead of 32bit.
Buster mesa is 18.3.6 while rasbian mesa is 19.1.0-rpt3, rpt mean patched not upstream.
so, 64bit long way to go, unless Devs support involved.

Gavinmc42

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 am

Any advantage going to 5.2 kernel, mesa is 19.2 and what else?
I think 5.1 had some improvements that help 3A+?

Alternative OS's don't need to be safe like Raspbian, where's the fun in that?
Compiling kernels on a 4B4 with big swap and fast USB storage should be more pleasant.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

aiminick

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:40 am
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:16 am
The folks that build non-Raspbian things might have Arch and Ubuntu working on the Pi4 by then. Which should dispel the troll's wild and incredible conspiracy theory.
Is that a month from release or month after we get the peripheral manual?
Will a new edition of the Videocore manual be needed?
I meant a naïve calendar month from now (two weeks after launch).

Kali Linux have launched for RPi4 (although it looks like they steal a copy of Raspbian Lite for their base OS).
Sakaki is working on Gentoo64.
I'd guess Arch will appear very soon.
Ubuntu will be late (based on them getting support for 3B and 3B+).
Windows 10 IoT won't happen - because they appear to have lost interest in supporting the latest RPi hardware.

I had made a 64bit Debian Buster On Pi4, soon a later will be shared to open download, now is in beta inside. :)

Here is the Introduction: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3#p1495013

Michiel O.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am

FreeBSD 12 has a 64-bit AArch version for the RPi3: https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releas ... PI3.img.xz
"You can't actually make computers run faster, you can only make them do less." - RiderOfGiraffes

geev03

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:35 am

Eagerly waiting for the Pi4B Gentoo to experience the increase in the compiling speed, compared to Pi3B going on now...

Code: Select all

7.26/work/mysql/libbinlogevents/src/statement_events.cpp
[ 15%] Building CXX object libbinlogevents/src/CMakeFiles/binlogevents_static.dir/control_events.cpp.o
cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql-5.7.26_build/libbinlogevents/src && /usr/bin/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIBEVENT2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql-5.7.26_build/include -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql/extra/rapidjson/include -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql-5.7.26_build/libbinlogevents/include -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql/libbinlogevents/export -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql/include -I/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql/libbinlogevents/include   -march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a53 -O2 -pipe -felide-constructors -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wextra -Wformat-security -Wvla -Wimplicit-fallthrough=2 -Woverloaded-virtual -Wno-unused-parameter -DNDEBUG -DDBUG_OFF   -o CMakeFiles/binlogevents_static.dir/control_events.cpp.o -c /var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.7.26/work/mysql/libbinlogevents/src/control_events.cpp

Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (149.11 KiB) Viewed 3712 times

Michiel O.

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 am

How do you cool your RPi? All that compiling must make it very hot!
"You can't actually make computers run faster, you can only make them do less." - RiderOfGiraffes

Gavinmc42

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am

13+hrs on a 3B+ compiling the full RISC-V Linux tool set in Gentoo64.
Just a heatsink and lid off, running about 74C .
I did not really expect it to actually finish.
it was just a stress test for Gentoo64 that surpassed my expectations.
It was enough to convince me that Pi3B+ performance was getting into a usable development area.

After using this 4B1 for 2 weeks I'm even more impressed.
I'm expecting the Pi4B4 to do it less than 5 hrs and probably running cooler
Going to depend on USB storage and swap file optimisation.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

necrose99

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:38 pm

A53.a72 for make conf.. keep.. keep rpi3 compatible
Rockpro64 pro 4x a53 ,2x a72.... like the cores

(A72 is big or little edian, ie a72.a53. Force big edian..
Something of the sort...) gcc...

Rpi 3 was a bit anemic to compile kernels on etc.
36 hours.......
Rockpro64, 35 mins few modules, mostly mono..
Rpi and etc etc baked in

Rockpro64, I Started with Emmc on chroot, gentoo
xfce slackware image,
Used Sakaki's binhost, and prior kde etc etc binaries
Bonus is 1tb m.2 nvme controller or pciex4 sata for NAS... ie place to put gentoo built tarballs latter on... ie nas binhost...

I however, would like to rig Uboot, and Grub2 UEFI..
Compiled ... wala..
(Uboot for RPI3/4/Rockpro64/rock64/others
RPI, 3,4, Rock64, r64pro ..... etc and have image universal enough to easily run on Rpi &etc)

However, getting the x11 on gentoo rpi image with panfrost/mali/bifrost/ open mali etc support as well is a small rub. Ie recompile for both rpi/rock64 GPU's..
A few iot boards have arm64 16 gigs max support...
Could be useful latter on. As a distcc or compile box..

Few hot edits...
/uboot fat , config/s dts for rpi's or rock64 types..
---> grub2aarch64.efi
/boot/efi/ and Grub2 etc
/boot/ kernels or etc here.. grub2 boot default or old, test kernel ie similar to desktop etc..
/ & or etc.

Gentoo stock kernel, or pentoo's as most 5.x ... should have rpi3 4 etc baked in..
Git repo... them , overlay https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-kernel to copies , test Gentoo/Pentoo patches, make sure overlaying didn't kill patch/s...
Generation git diff / patches, yank rpi kernel, gen patches, can merge test with mainstream kernels if req...

Make old config, make all yes config, fix few items ie depricated sysfs , etc etc to no ...
Make menu config fix issues..

Wishlist prog kgrepie.... good.conf , bad.conf
Sed , perl /kernel/.config , add good.conf , find and kill items bad.conf moved to n , make oldconfig to fix config etc...
Some network utilities in gentoo get bitchy.. if x=y or x=n on compile...

Add zfs-9999 , with rpi4/rock64/rockpro64 ram especially useful.. all baked in..
Newer kernels ie debian or parrotsec, can also use grub2-efi , makes switching more akin to desktop like.
(Debian kernels have 32bit chroot ie arm7hf or alike baked in... useful if running docker etc to abuse rockpro64 hexacore etc)

A few systemv init to systemd scripts, ie can enable/disable rpi3 or 4 , or other system boards..
Need to do..

Grub2 libzfs,uboot,uefi yes....etc...
Xen etc is crap fickle... however if docker emulation... might become useful...

End of the day Sakaki's Gentoo image, with a shot of pentoo, and grub2, systemd-love (overlay) rpi4/rock64, quite useful to myself and pentester comunty use...

o635789

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:26 pm

necrose99 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:38 pm
A53.a72 for make conf.. keep.. keep rpi3 compatible
Rockpro64 pro 4x a53 ,2x a72.... like the cores

(A72 is big or little edian, ie a72.a53. Force big edian..
Something of the sort...) gcc...

Rpi 3 was a bit anemic to compile kernels on etc.
36 hours.......
Rockpro64, 35 mins few modules, mostly mono..
Rpi and etc etc baked in

Rockpro64, I Started with Emmc on chroot, gentoo
xfce slackware image,
Used Sakaki's binhost, and prior kde etc etc binaries
Bonus is 1tb m.2 nvme controller or pciex4 sata for NAS... ie place to put gentoo built tarballs latter on... ie nas binhost...

I however, would like to rig Uboot, and Grub2 UEFI..
Compiled ... wala..
(Uboot for RPI3/4/Rockpro64/rock64/others
RPI, 3,4, Rock64, r64pro ..... etc and have image universal enough to easily run on Rpi &etc)

However, getting the x11 on gentoo rpi image with panfrost/mali/bifrost/ open mali etc support as well is a small rub. Ie recompile for both rpi/rock64 GPU's..
A few iot boards have arm64 16 gigs max support...
Could be useful latter on. As a distcc or compile box..

Few hot edits...
/uboot fat , config/s dts for rpi's or rock64 types..
---> grub2aarch64.efi
/boot/efi/ and Grub2 etc
/boot/ kernels or etc here.. grub2 boot default or old, test kernel ie similar to desktop etc..
/ & or etc.

Gentoo stock kernel, or pentoo's as most 5.x ... should have rpi3 4 etc baked in..
Git repo... them , overlay https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-kernel to copies , test Gentoo/Pentoo patches, make sure overlaying didn't kill patch/s...
Generation git diff / patches, yank rpi kernel, gen patches, can merge test with mainstream kernels if req...

Make old config, make all yes config, fix few items ie depricated sysfs , etc etc to no ...
Make menu config fix issues..

Wishlist prog kgrepie.... good.conf , bad.conf
Sed , perl /kernel/.config , add good.conf , find and kill items bad.conf moved to n , make oldconfig to fix config etc...
Some network utilities in gentoo get bitchy.. if x=y or x=n on compile...

Add zfs-9999 , with rpi4/rock64/rockpro64 ram especially useful.. all baked in..
Newer kernels ie debian or parrotsec, can also use grub2-efi , makes switching more akin to desktop like.
(Debian kernels have 32bit chroot ie arm7hf or alike baked in... useful if running docker etc to abuse rockpro64 hexacore etc)

A few systemv init to systemd scripts, ie can enable/disable rpi3 or 4 , or other system boards..
Need to do..

Grub2 libzfs,uboot,uefi yes....etc...
Xen etc is crap fickle... however if docker emulation... might become useful...

End of the day Sakaki's Gentoo image, with a shot of pentoo, and grub2, systemd-love (overlay) rpi4/rock64, quite useful to myself and pentester comunty use...
Are you talking about Rock Pi 4? I thought this was the Raspberry Pi 4 forum ... oh wait

necrose99

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:38 am

I was mentioning my few miss adventures in Rockpro64 land , sofar can have its irritations over rpi...
However the pci m.2 nvme or 2x pcie4x sata zfs might be of use... latter...

If RPI-4b++-pro ever drops with 8 gigs and PCI & 1-2 tb max.. m.2/nvme slot on the underside , i think it'd be curtains for my rockchip iot's... 😤
[ http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index. ... -IF-01.jpg ]
similar rpi4 on steroids...Layout Wala... steal features.... plz...

[Just irritating lack of gentoo support otherwise... lack of support in general
while it can use rpi hats sheilds etc....
own image From scratch support has proven really painful.
Hence a few rpi4's on Buy asap... list
(a few storm like cases ... c4 labs
Ie storm rpi3 eccouncil , for rpi4 grumbling...
https://iclass.eccouncil.org/product/mo ... -tool-kit/ /gags case etc is cool.. simular ok...
for 750 ... bashbuny most of the hak5 pentester tools too...)
(if i grab a few Odroid emmc like rock64 uses, and the xdcard to emmc adapters.. useful also as rpi3 tends to brick on xdcards with compiler overload https://ameridroid.com/products/emmc-adapter
Compile on ssd's but a few on ssd is ok... but a few 100 or a kernel asking for it..
Lesson leared)

****however since the base model rpi4 has caught up*** ,
using rockpro64 as backup NAS has become more useful... getting a bootable image on emmc rockpro64 has proven more pesky than i bargained for.]

The rockpro64 is half rpi3 and a dash of rpi4 hexacore
@ gcc 's eyes...
(Architecturally similar but for gpu being panfrost/mali/bifrost being different than the far better supported rpi family... at present ) 4x a53 2x a72...

A72 @ gcc tends to favor big edian.. this not good for compatiblty.
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-8.1. ... tions.html
The values ‘cortex-a57.cortex-a53’, ‘cortex-a72.cortex-a53’, ‘cortex-a73.cortex-a35’, ‘cortex-a73.cortex-a53’, ‘cortex-a75.cortex-a55’ specify that GCC should tune for a big.LITTLE system

However forced a53.a72 allows for a72 options/optimizations, but also a73 keeping some legacy support for rpi3...
And likewise little edian ....

[*] lessons learned from rockpro64[/b].... while tweaking a few of Sakaki's useful compiler flags.

However after some digging, prior ther is a way to multiple devices on uboot.. ie could possibly rig rpi4/rpi3 & rockpro64 image.
At the moment, a customized uboot with multiple devices... and link to escape's me.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/11 ... platforms/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/317 ... nux-kernel
http://www.loper-os.org/?p=2295 however less an image than a tarball..

[*] compile kernels with rockpro64/rock64 & RPI3 & rpi4 baked in... & etc... ie arm64 servers too[/b].
[*] have x11 detect to detect gpu rpi or rock64 types , etc, laziness[/b]
[*] systemd as an option, can have a script to rpi-o-fi-me or rock64-my-wold , ie enable/disable Services on image.. or pi etc variants... [/b]

[*] rig uboot , rpi4 etc.... etc etc, ONE GENTOO IMAGE TOO RULE THEM ALL would be a plus. [/b]
Be able to. Power rpi4/rpi3 or etc.... eventually from single image... still have legacy rpi3, distcc at least...
Make a few edits # un# , boot.cfg.... etc , rpi3, next rpi4 , rockpro64... same base image would be a winner on my wishlist.... i surmise i likely won't be as lucky..
As to be able to hot edit a few configurations, or tweaking systemd Services to fit devices on first boot.

Uboot can be compiled to boot multiple devices... (?? Weres link to that website? )
[*] Grub uboot zfs btrfs uefi etc etc compiled in U-boot @ grub2 efi . [/b]
Grub will the let one load kernels as normal , xen support sux atm...
Kvm useful if running docker ie arm7hf in a container... or qemu etc...
Debian already does... if grub2 installed...
arm64-bin-kernel @ Sakaki's repo... as pkg ,
New kernel fail 》 select via grub old... wala.
Build a Gentoo or test kernel without as much fuss...
[*] Use of Sakaki's base images is far far easier.[/b] thus far , grub2 and or systemd id add..
And the rpi3 binhost has been a godsend in least trying to cobble an image out for rockpro64..
However having a now useful image is bit nicer... just need to get rpi4..
[*] put up binhost for more pentoo Gentoo pkgs[/b].. i make is on the to do...
[*] Docker for packages building and or pipelines devops toys highly possible (bit over my head atm but build test new pkgs without breaking install... worksfor me..) [/b]
Gentoo or Pentoo linux, add rpi updates via patches, rock64 likewise..
Make old config, all yes config, zfs built in , make menu pruning out depricated sysfs etc...
Make modules...
**** Grub2 also can put up dts ie device tree config...
Rockpro64, 35-75 mins on emmc via USB chroot...
Old rpi3 36 hours...
[*] having a rpi4/rpi3 and rockpro64 cappable kernel saves me hell latter[/b]

http://gpo.zugaina.org/sys-kernel/dkms might be of use against afuns kernel.. ie updates on rock64 GPU's drivers... less irritating perhaps..

Return to “Other”