sneakybrit
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Pi 4 Trouble

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi,

New Pi 4 fresh install unable to get wifi working, enter passphrase and nothing. Lan only transferring at 11mb/s to a powered USB 3 HDD. Setting resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.

Anyone have any solutions? cos I'm all out.

wildfire
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:03 pm

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Provide more details (though I doubt you will).
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

sneakybrit
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:18 am

wildfire wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:03 pm
Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Provide more details (though I doubt you will).
I'll try and make it simple just for you.

Pi 4 <---- This is the new one that's just come out.
Fresh install <---- This is a new install of the operating system. Keeping up? Good.
Unable to get wifi working <---- you know the voodoo, magic gizmo that lets you connect to the internet.
enter passphrase and nothing. <----- I enter my password for voodoo, magic gizmo but nothing happens.
Lan <--- wired version of voodoo, magic gizmo to connect to the internet.
transferring at 11mb/s <---- move file from one place to another at said speed.
powered USB 3 HDD <---- Hard drive connected via USB 3 with power.
Setting resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen <---- resolution of the TV with name and model.

I hope this helps you in your quest to understand.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8509
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am

sneakybrit wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm


New Pi 4 fresh install unable to get wifi working, enter passphrase and nothing. Lan only transferring at 11mb/s to a powered USB 3 HDD. Setting Resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.



So to clarify, this is three separate problems in one paragraph?



unable to get wifi working, enter passphrase and nothing.



Lan only transferring at 11mb/s to a powered USB 3 HDD.



Setting Resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.



In respect of the first: have you set an appropriate locale for your installed Operating System, or taken other steps to see that the wlan interface has a working Country Code?

For the second: how is the external hard drive exposed to the cabled Lan? Could the speed be being limited by some filesharing software somewhere on the path?

No comment on the third.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4597
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:37 am

sneakybrit wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm
Setting resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.
Turn off overscan in the TV settings for the HDMI input you are using. I believe Sony calls it Full-Pixel mode (if I recall correctly).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

sneakybrit
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:42 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:37 am
sneakybrit wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm
Setting resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.
Turn off overscan in the TV settings for the HDMI input you are using. I believe Sony calls it Full-Pixel mode (if I recall correctly).
Just fixed the overscan.

Thanks for the reply.

sneakybrit
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 am

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am
sneakybrit wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 pm


New Pi 4 fresh install unable to get wifi working, enter passphrase and nothing. Lan only transferring at 11mb/s to a powered USB 3 HDD. Setting Resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.



So to clarify, this is three separate problems in one paragraph?



unable to get wifi working, enter passphrase and nothing.



Lan only transferring at 11mb/s to a powered USB 3 HDD.



Setting Resolution for my Sony Bravia to 1920 x 1080 puts menu bars off screen, have to set the res at 1360 x 768 to fit on screen.



In respect of the first: have you set an appropriate locale for your installed Operating System, or taken other steps to see that the wlan interface has a working Country Code?

For the second: how is the external hard drive exposed to the cabled Lan? Could the speed be being limited by some filesharing software somewhere on the path?

No comment on the third.
Yep...had a lot on yesterday when I posted so it was throw everything in. All settings for the wifi are correct, just checked.
I have my pi connected via wire to the router, I have a 3.5 powered USB 3 HDD connected to the USB 3, when I transfer something from my PC to the HDD on the pi I just get 11mb/s speed.

Overscan sorted.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4597
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:53 am

For your WiFi troubles, have you used the configuration tool to set your location and country code?

Does cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf return something similar to this (with the correct country code)?

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Also, make sure your keyboard settings are correct in Localisation Options (otherwise you might not be typing what you think).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gkreidl
Posts: 6093
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:54 am

sneakybrit wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 am
I have my pi connected via wire to the router, I have a 3.5 powered USB 3 HDD connected to the USB 3, when I transfer something from my PC to the HDD on the pi I just get 11mb/s speed.
Looks like a 100 MBit connection.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

sneakybrit
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:53 am
For your WiFi troubles, have you used the configuration tool to set your location and country code?

Does cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf return something similar to this (with the correct country code)?

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Also, make sure your keyboard settings are correct in Localisation Options (otherwise you might not be typing what you think).
No such file or directory. I found it manually and checked and everything looks spot on. Rebooted now the wifi is saying no wireless interface...checked the wpa_supplicant.conf again and its gone. Think I'll re-install the OS again.

sneakybrit
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:35 am

Right. A fresh install and from the setup it will not connect the wifi. Skipped past that part and tried again after the reboot. Nothing, just doesn't do anything. I do believe the wifi doesn't work on my board. The wpa_supplicant.conf is there with the correct SSID and pass phrase.

pik33
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Pi 4 Trouble

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:40 am

I have a USB3 SSD which also works at 11 Mbps (1.1 MB/s transfer) when connected to USB3, while working normally on USB2. I posted another topic with detailed dmesg report.

Return to “Troubleshooting”