Memeito

Universal case

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:12 am

Is there such a thing like an universal Raspberry Pi case, where you could fit any version of the Pi, and that will also be future proof, if they change for example the size of the board or location of the ports?

scotty101

Re: Universal case

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:25 am

No. How could there be? Ports move or change type. The fixing holes and overall board size might be consistent for the moment but this doesn't mean they always will be. How could any case be made future proof for a change in board size?

The Official Pi case was close but then the Pi 4 layout changed things (and official Pi 4 cases are out of stock)
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Memeito

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:50 am

Regular computer cases support motherboards of different sizes, I don't think it would be that difficult in this case to have some sort of standardization.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:09 pm

With two micro HDMI ports replacing one full-sized one, how can there be standardisation? Most of the stuff is in the same place, but many cases make a lot of assumptions such as the clearance around the edges of the board and the heights of various components. Cases that include heatsinking capabilities need to know where the CPU is.

It's rather unfair to compare a massive motherboard to a credit-car-sized Pi. Even with six PCB layers the layout is insanely complex. Putting every component in the same place all the time would be a huge restriction on adding new capabilities. Plus the layout of a motherboard might have board and I/O sockets in the same place but, for instance, the CPU and RAM can be anywhere. They still have that dinky tin plate to patch up the hole in the I/O panel.

PC cases are comparatively far larger than Pi cases and so have to make fewer assumptions. If you were happy to have a case twice as big as the Pi and twice as tall, then there would be more chance that it was future-compatible.

Probably the only style of case that will work for both Pi3B and Pi4B and stands a chance of working for the next model is this one:

Andyroo

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:14 pm

The closest I know of are
1) Lego as a fully DIY solution
2) The Pimoroni range of Pibow cases

Even the latter comes with top and bottom now matter what middle you order :lol:

One of my main bug bears has been cases for HATs esp displays.

Problem is that by the time you have paid for tooling of the injection moulding you need to sell large numbers to make any money as a lot of folk will not pay £5 for a case let alone £20 for a flexible one.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Heater

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Memeito,
Regular computer cases support motherboards of different sizes, I don't think it would be that difficult in this case to have some sort of standardization.
Yes, and traditional PC cases are frikken huge and 90% empty space. If that is what you want I have the solution for you, put your Pi into a PC case! :)

Meanwhile I have here:

A Microsoft Surface Pro.
A bunch of laptops.
A traditional big box PC.
Three industrial/embedded PC class machines ranging from huge to tiny.

No chance that any of their mother boards will move to any other's box.

With the application of a Dremel/file/drill to the Pi cases I have here I can get any Pi to fit in any Pi case :)

Memeito

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 pm

rurwin wrote:
With two micro HDMI ports replacing one full-sized one, how can there be standardisation?
They should keep all the ports only on one side of fixed dimensions, I mean this is how regular motherboards do it, there are different sizes: E-ATX, ATX, mATX, mITX, and they can all fit in the same case, they might not have the same number of ports or in the same place, but they are all placed on a back panel of fixed size.

Heater

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Yes, but then the Pi would have to be a totally different shape. Long and thin perhaps, to have all the ports on the same side.

I for one would not like such a form factor.

Not to mention the difficulties of routing all the PCB traces to one side of the board.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Memeito wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 pm
rurwin wrote:
With two micro HDMI ports replacing one full-sized one, how can there be standardisation?
They should keep all the ports only on one side of fixed dimensions.
As the previous poster told you already, there was no free space to place a second HDMI port next to the existing one.
There is no free connector space period.
Also without a crystal ball (not boll, sorry I'm Dutch) its difficult to product with 100% certainty what the future will bring, so you cannot easily anticipate these things.
Obviously the RPF tries to keep connectors the same, and in the same position, but sometimes there simply are compelling reasons why this is simply not possible, or not practical.

The RPF doesn't change these things for the heck of it, but because of compelling reasons.
In other words there can be no standardisation (sic) live with it.... :P

comparisons between RPI models and motherboard standardization (which didn't happen overnight) is ridiculous for many reasons.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:18 pm

About the only thing that looks like it is more or less constant across models since the feature was introduced, is the size and placement of the mounting holes. Therefore, the most likely "permanent" case would be a flat panel with mounting holes drilled and set of M2.5 standoffs. One could get fancy and add feet underneath. Since it would use standoffs, the panel could be made of pretty much anything.

PhatFil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Return to “General discussion”