rpiMike

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPI3B+)

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Great work on your Gentoo image, thanks.

I've used it to get Minecraft 1.13.2 working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCQXd1QzAc&t=1s

Do you know of a way to add additional video modes - ideally I would like to select 1280x720 ?

sakaki

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi rpiMike,

glad to hear you have found the image useful. Cool video btw ^-^

To your question, yes, the simplest way to select a video mode is to use the bundled configuration tool (which modifies the file /boot/config.txt). Simply click on Applications -> Settings -> RPi3 Config Tool, and a dialog similar [1] to the below will open:

Choose either CEA or DMT in the HDMI group dropdown, and (if your display is well behaved), you should then be able to select from a list of supported modes in the HDMI mode dropdown. Once done, Click Save and Exit. You'll then be prompted whether to reboot - elect to do so (ensuring all work is saved first of course).

The system will then reboot into the specified video mode. If all is well, and your desktop is visible without artefacts post-reboot, elect to Keep the new settings in the dialog box that comes up automatically after boot. If however, for some reason, the new display mode is incompatible, simply wait and your system will automatically reboot after a minute, back into the original settings again (which, presumably, work).

You can read more about the video modes etc. in /boot/config.txt here, should you wish to edit the underlying configuration file manually (but, using the graphical tool is simpler and provides the simple fallback recovery in case a bad mode is selected).

hth,

sakaki

[1] This screenshot is actually of the previous version of the configuration tool, but the HDMI group / mode dropdowns are the same.

PS if you are running an older version of the image, you may not have the graphical config editor (shown above) available. If that is the case, you can install it as follows:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo rpi3
[email protected] ~ $ sudo emerge -v sys-apps/pyconfig_gen

PPS if you haven't already, you'll get better graphical performance by turning display compositing off. You can do so from the Applications -> Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks tool (Compositor tab).

sakaki

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am

The v1.4.2 gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit image is now also available for install through PINN (called gentoo64 - and, for the PiTop v1 variant, gentoo64pt - there).

Just that pesky new Pi4 to port to now ^-^

Best, sakaki

procount

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:23 am

Lol! It's never ending is it?
Looking forward to your 64-bit kernel for Buster/Pi4. :D
Great work as always.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Gavinmc42

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am

Just that pesky new Pi4 to port to now ^-^
Yep the Pi4 with dual screens and 4GB is now a serious developers box :D
Will be interesting to see how those WebGL samples runs now :lol:

I have been having trouble with 1.4.2 but it could be the cards or Etcher or even Win10.
Need to try writing cards on Linux box, just have not had time to track down the issue.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

sakaki

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am
I have been having trouble with 1.4.2 but it could be the cards or Etcher or even Win10.
Need to try writing cards on Linux box, just have not had time to track down the issue.
Did you get your issue with 1.4.2 resolved? I've double-checked that the version available for download on GitHub boots OK on a fresh install (on an RPi3B+ at any rate).

Best, sakaki

Gavinmc42

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:07 am

[Did you get your issue with 1.4.2 resolved?/quote]
Not yet, was going to try on the old home Linux box but it must be jealous of this new Pi4B1 and it decided to crash.
Also need to get some new uSD's if that was the issue.
Now I need to learn how to write SD's on Pi's.

But I'm really having way too much fun on this 4B1, wasting lots of time playing games that now work.
All in the interests of stress testing the 4 of course ;)

The 3B+ and Gentoo64 was borderline usable for native development.
I was only dabbling with this combo.

The Pi4 is so much better I now have very keen interest in a 64bit OS for it.
3D gaming and modelling now are possible and Vulkan too will work one day.
Blender seems ok, for the short time I tried it
My day job of designing PCBs is easier with two screens, can I do this on a 4?

Can a 4B4 compile kernels in a reasonable time?
It was slow with a 3B+ but so much has improved now.
A compiler cluster of 4B4's with faster USB and Ethernet, might get close to 12GB XEONs?

Moving to 64bit OS on 4 ,the speed increase means making a Desktop is much less painful.
So only a headless 64bit OS is needed to get going, hint ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

geev03

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Very fast and responsive on a remote Pi3B.
Looking forward to using the '64bit Gentoo ' on a remote Pi4B soon...
Attachments
64bit_Gentoo_pi3.jpg
64bit_Gentoo_pi3.jpg (124.48 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

sakaki

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Migration of rpi3 Overlay Name to genpi64

Hello,

In light of the forthcoming (in soft freeze now!) Pi4 support, I have decided to rename the main ebuild repo used by the image, from rpi3-overlay (repo name "rpi3" [1]) to genpi64-overlay (repo name "genpi64"). The custom profile name has also been changed (from default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/rpi3 to default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/genpi64).

Migration

Along with today's commits migrating the repository name, you will also have received a 'fixup' script, which will correct your
/etc/portage/repos.conf entry, and also change the repo name in entries in the /var/db/pkg/... database. The script may be viewed here.

(The GitHub URI for the project has changed, from [2] to [3], but as they automatically redirect moved project links, your old URI should still refer, while the migration is happening.)

This fixup script will be run automatically, within a week at most, by a cron.weekly service already installed on your RPi. However, if you wish
to correct the repo name immediately (or you have the weekly fixup service disabled), then simply issue the following commands on your RPi (if running as demouser, prefix them with sudo):

pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo rpi3
pi64 ~ # /etc/cron.weekly/fixup
Results may be viewed in /var/log/latest-fixup-run.log (the relevant fixup is number 0007, and lives at [4] pre-migration, and [5] post-migration). It does nothing on a system where the name has already been migrated.

Once complete, run the follow to update your eix cache:

pi64 ~ # eix-sync -0
(that's a zero).

Then, run the following, to make sure your weekly fixup service can still locate files in the moved repo:

pi64 ~ # emerge -vu app-portage/weekly-genup

Testing

Once migration has completed, make sure that:

pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo genpi64
completes without errors. Also run

pi64 ~ # eselect profile show
and check it returns

Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
  genpi64:default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/genpi64
If so, congratulations! You have successfully migrated repos.

Post-Migration Use

Once the migration has taken place, you will need to use:

wherever once you used:

pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo rpi3
Otherwise, nothing else should change (packages installed from the binhost do not need reinstallation, or anything like that).

If you experience any issues with this migration process, please feel free to contact me.

Best, sakaki <[email protected]>

References

[1] Yes, this wasn't the most future-proof choice of name on my part. Apologies ><
[2] https://github.com/sakaki-/rpi3-overlay
[3] https://github.com/sakaki-/genpi64-overlay
[4] /usr/local/portage/rpi3/app-portage/weekly-genup/files/fixup-0007-migrate-rpi3-overlay-to-genpi64.sh
[5] /usr/local/portage/genpi64/app-portage/weekly-genup/files/fixup-0007-migrate-rpi3-overlay-to-genpi64.sh

geev03

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 pm

:P

* Time statistics:
    89 seconds for eix-update
     9 seconds for eix-diff
  1014 seconds total
pi64 ~ #
>>> Syncing repository 'genpi64' into '/usr/local/portage/genpi64'...
/usr/bin/git fetch origin
Already up to date.
=== Sync completed for genpi64
q: Updating ebuild cache for /usr/local/portage/genpi64 ...
q: Finished 397 entries in 0.035004 seconds

Action: sync for repo: genpi64, returned code = 0

pi64 ~ # eselect profile show
Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
  genpi64:default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/genpi64
pi64 ~ #

sakaki

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 am

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.5.0 release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

This release marks a significant milestone for the project, as the RPi4 is now supported (in addition to the RPi3 model B and B+, which remain supported too).

Thanks to rapid upstream progress on aarch64 kernel work for the new board, there are surprisingly few compromises required when running the Pi4 under a 'pure' 64-bit OS such as this one. Specifically, for the Pi4 in this 1.5.0 release:
  • V3D graphics acceleration is supported in X under vc4-fkms-v3d / Mesa;
  • the full 4GiB complement of memory is usable (if you are lucky enough to own a top-of-the-line model, that is ^-^);
  • the V4L2 M2M video codecs and optional plug-in camera module are both usable;
  • use of dual HDMI displays is supported;
  • Bluetooth, fast Ethernet, and dual-band WiFi work.
All software on the image (userland and kernel) has been ground-up recompiled using "march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a72 -O2" CFLAGS, meaning it should be optimized for the out-of-order pipeline provided by the newer Pi4's Cortex-A72 SoC, while still retaining backwards compatibility with the older RPi3 B/B+'s Cortex-A53.

Here's a screenshot of the image running on a dual-display RPi4 B (click to show a higher resolution view):

NB: as you may have noticed, the project's name on GitHub has changed, from gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit to gentoo-on-rpi-64bit, to reflect the fact that the RPi4 is now also supported. Thanks to the way GitHub does things, people trying to find the old project should be automagically redirected to the renamed version. My bad in choosing an over-limiting moniker first time ><

A changelog from the prior release image (with full manual upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Updated the RPi3 kernel (from the bcmrpi3-kernel-bis weekly autobuild) to version 4.19.66.20190816.
  • Added an additional kernel (from the bcm2711-kernel-bis weekly autobuild). This second kernel is used when booting the RPi4, lives at /boot/kernel8-p4.img, and is a tweaked version, as the name suggests, of a completely separate configuration: bcm2711_defconfig, as opposed to bcmrpi3_defconfig. The two kernels have distinguished release names, and so separate subdirectories in /lib/modules, but as they are built together, they share a common kernel tree tip commit. The kernel version used in this release includes (on the bcm2711 build) the recently-upstreamed PR#3144 (which allows the full 4GiB of RAM to be used, where present) and PR#3063 (which enables the use of V3D acceleration on the Pi4). The two kernels have auto-generated ebuilds by which they are installed: sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin and sys-kernel/bcm2711-kernel-bis-bin, respectively.
  • Boot firmware updated to sys-boot/rpi3-64bit-firmware-1.20190718, and userland libraries to media-libs/raspberrypi-userland-1.20190808 (for dual-monitor aware tvservice utility etc.)
  • Size of the boot partition on the image expanded, from 63MiB to 255MiB, to accommodate the new dual-kernel setup just described (required for RPi3/4 booting).
  • Added dev-lang/go (it's been the most frequently requested package), and (an arm64 Pi4 patched version of) dev-libs/pigpio (for easy control of GPIOs) to the core package set.
  • Added sys-block/gparted (for disk management), net-misc/xorgxrdp and net-misc/tigervnc[server] (for remote access), media-sound/pavucontrol for pulseaudio (also made this a default USE flag), and x11-misc/arandr (for multi-screen layouts) to the xfce package set. (Also modified the arandr ebuild to add a login service that auto-loads layouts saved to ~/.screenlayout/default.sh).
  • Added app-office/abiword to the apps set (a lighter alternative to libreoffice writer - which remains bundled too - that some may prefer).
  • Included a slightly tweaked media-libs/mesa to allow v3d acceleration on the RPi4. Standard vc4 acceleration on the RPi3 is still supported.
  • Updated the pyconfig_gen application (found at Settings -> RPi Config Tool): now supports configuring a second monitor (on the Pi4), and also setting the WiFi regulatory domain (RPi3/4). A simple overclocking "manettino" ^-^ for the Pi4 is also provided (all permitted settings should be warranty-safe, per RPF advice, but use at your own risk!).
  • Updated the media-video/pi-ffcam "camera live view" applet to work with the Pi4 (found in the Multimedia menu).
  • Also updated the media/video/pi-ffplay application for the Pi4 (again found in the Multimedia menu, this is a trivial app to illustrate accessing the Pi 3/4's hardware video codecs via v4l2m2m).
  • Moved 6by9's patches to media-video/ffmpeg (upon which the two apps above rely) forward to version 4.1.4, as these don't seem to be upstream yet.
  • Tidied up a number of boot-time services for RPi4 compatibility (e.g., x11-misc/rpi3-safecompositor etc.). Note that for simplicity I have not renamed these, so please don't disable or remove services just because their name starts with "rpi3-" (as for the most part, they still do something useful on an RPi4 too!).
  • I did change the name of the main repo used by the image though, from "rpi3" to "genpi64", and migrated the custom profile too. You can read more about this here.
  • Version bumped sys-boot/rpi3-boot-config, to update the baseline /boot/config.txt file for use with the Pi4 (while still retaining compatibility with the Pi3B/B+).
  • Renamed the master meta-package, from rpi3-64bit-meta to rpi-64bit-meta.
  • Added LLVM_TARGETS="WebAssembly BPF" (in addition to the default AArch64), to allow dev-lang/rust to be built with the wasm USE flag.
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 10 August 2019 (which means e.g., www-client/firefox-68.0.1, www-client/chromium-76.0.3809.87-r1, app-office/libreoffice-6.3.0.4 etc. are bundled; a full list of installed packages may be found here).
A variant image for the Pi-Top v1 (an RPi3-based DIY laptop) is also included, as usual.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post either in this thread, or in the project's (sticky) thread on the Gentoo forums (here).

I aim to provide a version of this new image on PINN shortly, for those that prefer that installation route.

Best,

sakaki

PS: Updated EEPROM Firmware

If you are using a Pi4, don't forget to update your EEPROM firmware; there's an official fix released that will allow your system to use ~300mW less power. For more information, please see here.

PPS: USB Shortcomings

As this release comes early in the lifecycle of the RPi4, expect to find a number of bugs and issues with it! In particular, one major issue, (due, as I understand it, per this post by 6by9, to a lack of FIQ fast interrupt handling on aarch64) is that isochronous transfers over USB are likely to be pretty bad in 64-bit compared to 32-bit. For example, USB webcams etc will drop frames (bulk transfers, as you might get e.g. when copying large files to and from a storage device, work fine on USB under 64-bit however; as do low-speed peripherals such as mice and keyboards).

Acknowledgement

Thanks to NeddySeagoon for maintaining his public bloodnoc.org armv8a binhost - I needed to do a full --emptytree @world rebuild as part of this image prep, which highlighted quite a few issues (packages that no longer built from source properly, but had tbz2s in my isshoni.org binhost and so didn't show up in regular @world updates) - having his tbz2's to check build settings against (qtbz2 and qxpak are your friends!) was a really useful resource!

Edited to add acknowledgement.
Last edited by sakaki on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjan

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:48 am

wonder, does xfce4 is 4.14 already?

sakaki

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:55 am

cjan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:48 am
wonder, does xfce4 is 4.14 already?
It is, but tbh I had enough moving parts to handle with the Pi4 migration, without trying to version bump the desktop environment.

Probably not a big deal to upgrade, will look at it during the next point release or so.

Best, sakaki

geev03

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 am

Smooth login, thanks to the clear step-by-step instructions. :)

login as: demouser
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Password:

==============================================================================
|    Welcome to 64-bit Gentoo Linux for the Raspberry Pi 3 B/B+ & Pi 4 B!    |
|         MicroSD-card image maintainer: sakaki <[email protected]>         |
| There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law |
|            (Edit, or delete, /etc/motd to modify this message)             |

[email protected] ~ $ sudo -i
pi64 ~ # uname -a
Linux pi64 4.19.66-v8-fc5826fb999e-p4-bis+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 16 13:58:31 GMT 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux
pi64 ~ # free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          3.7Gi       292Mi       3.1Gi        51Mi       324Mi       3.3Gi
Swap:         1.0Gi          0B       1.0Gi
pi64 ~ #
Attachments
64bit_Gentoo_RPi4.jpg
64bit_Gentoo_RPi4.jpg (144.22 KiB) Viewed 870 times

Gavinmc42

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am

Sakaki, do you have a Lite version of this new 1.50?

Will go get some bigger uSD cards tomorrow as none work with this 1.50.
Had the same situation with the previous 1.42 build too which I tried again today on a 3B+ and also with USB sticks.

I get the green LED flashing but no 4 colour pixel with any sd/usb on Pi3B+ and Pi4.
The uSD's and USB sticks work when imaged with Buster.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:16 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am
Sakaki, do you have a Lite version of this new 1.50?

Will go get some bigger uSD cards tomorrow as none work with this 1.50.
Had the same situation with the previous 1.42 build too which I tried again today on a 3B+ and also with USB sticks.

I get the green LED flashing but no 4 colour pixel with any sd/usb on Pi3B+ and Pi4.
The uSD's and USB sticks work when imaged with Buster.
I do actually have a lite version in the works - but it's just a boot-to-CLI variant for people who want to set up a server etc., not exactly what you want I think.

Not sure why you are having an issue with getting this running - a number of other people (e.g., here, and directly above in this thread) have already reported it boots fine. You need at least a 16GB microSD card, but that's not an unreasonable size these days.

What size & brand microSD cards are you using? And how are you trying to write the image to them - from the command line, or via Etcher or similar? Can you write e.g. Raspbian Buster to the target cards and successfully boot from them?

Wrt USB: please note that on the RPi4, due to current firmware restrictions, 'pure' USB booting is not currently supported. It will be addressed in the RPi firmware at some point in the future but for now, you can't write any OS to (just) a USB and have it boot on a Pi4.

What you can do is put the bootfs on a microSD and the rootfs on a USB, but for now, simpler to just stick with the pure microSD route.

hth, sakaki

andrum99

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am

sakaki wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 am
As this release comes early in the lifecycle of the RPi4, expect to find a number of bugs and issues with it! In particular, one major issue, (due, as I understand it, per this post by 6by9, to a lack of FIQ fast interrupt handling on aarch64) is that isochronous transfers over USB are likely to be pretty bad in 64-bit compared to 32-bit.
That post refers to the old USB controller on previous models of Pi, not the new VLI chip on the Pi 4B. There are some issues with USB on the Pi 4B, but not the ones 6by9 referred to in that post. The VLI chip is much more capable than the old controller built into the SoC. (There also seems to be a "new" USB 3.0 controller in the BCM2711 that is not used on Pi 4B - presumably it came from whatever set-top-box chip the various hardware blocks were cloned from).

sakaki

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:48 am

andrum99 wrote: That post refers to the old USB controller on previous models of Pi, not the new VLI chip on the Pi 4B. There are some issues with USB on the Pi 4B, but not the ones 6by9 referred to in that post. The VLI chip is much more capable than the old controller built into the SoC. (There also seems to be a "new" USB 3.0 controller in the BCM2711 that is not used on Pi 4B - presumably it came from whatever set-top-box chip the various hardware blocks were cloned from).
Hi andrum99,
I understand the controller has changed, but is the aarch64 FIQ issue not still a problem for isochronous transfers with a 64-bit kernel? Or is the VLI chip handling all the time-sensitive stuff now?
Best, sakaki

andrum99

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:51 pm

sakaki wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:48 am
andrum99 wrote: That post refers to the old USB controller on previous models of Pi, not the new VLI chip on the Pi 4B. There are some issues with USB on the Pi 4B, but not the ones 6by9 referred to in that post. The VLI chip is much more capable than the old controller built into the SoC. (There also seems to be a "new" USB 3.0 controller in the BCM2711 that is not used on Pi 4B - presumably it came from whatever set-top-box chip the various hardware blocks were cloned from).
Hi andrum99,
I understand the controller has changed, but is the aarch64 FIQ issue not still a problem for isochronous transfers with a 64-bit kernel? Or is the VLI chip handling all the time-sensitive stuff now?
Best, sakaki
I don't know, but that post is talking about the old USB controller. My guess would be they will be handled the same in 32-bit mode as 64-bit mode, but that is just a guess.

Gavinmc42

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:20 am

I do actually have a lite version in the works - but it's just a boot-to-CLI variant for people who want to set up a server etc., not exactly what you want I think.
Most of my Pi's are headless, CLI is fine, especially if it is a 64bit one :D
For embedded IIoT, 64bits is more important than a fancy display.
Besides I want to try some OpenGL on your Wayland install wiki instead of X11.
Arch and Gentoo seem to be Wayland friendly, but I want a 64bit Wayland

Doing a RPF and maintaining three versions is a bit much to ask but I have found all three versions of Raspbian useful at some stage/application.
Gentoo64 Lite, Desktop, Full Kitchen sink, each one would be useful.
New SD's acquired and burning, raided my small change stash to hide purchase from finance manager ;)
Sandisk A1's are my preferred cards, normally 16GB, a single 64GB on my Buster, today got some 32 and 128GB to try.
Also got a Sandisk 64GB Ultra fit to try temp fix uSD boot/USB running, the previous 32GB Ultra fits work fine on a 3B+/Buster.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Gavinmc42

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:17 am

Ok, have tried on three Pi's 3B+ ,4B1, 4B2 with 16 ,32, 64, 128GB Sandisk A1's and Toshiba 32GB and assorted others.
Nothing it working :(

Same cards work with Buster.
What cards do you use?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:07 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:17 am
Ok, have tried on three Pi's 3B+ ,4B1, 4B2 with 16 ,32, 64, 128GB Sandisk A1's and Toshiba 32GB and assorted others.
Nothing it working :(

Same cards work with Buster.
What cards do you use?
Sandisk Ultra A1s mostly, 32 & 64 GB.

However, I doubt very much the problem is with the card. Given that others are using this successfully, I suspect the problem is with your downloaded copy of the image.

Can you please run a checksum on the 1.5.0 genpi64.img.xz file you downloaded? Correct values are as shown below:

$ ls -l genpi64.img.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 sakaki sakaki 1723100964 Aug 17 18:24 genpi64.img.xz
$ md5sum genpi64.img.xz
6e7a5a1402f4afb66e67687883d66f47  genpi64.img.xz
$ sha256sum genpi64.img.xz
2ab8b0ae3e7e995f6f9be9462a88494a4836f986954d662063545a33de8db6ab  genpi64.img.xz
Thanks, sakaki

Gavinmc42

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 am

Thanks Sakaki.
I thought I would try burning uSD cards with a Pi4 .
These instructions made sure the image was not corrupt.

I found out I should not do this on a Buster Pi4 :oops:

xzcat genpi64.img.xz > /dev/mmcblk0 && sync
Same problems with 3 cards burned by Pi4.
So I ruled out Win10/Etcher and Pi burned uSD's.
Too many uSD's and Pi's tested, it had to be something else.

I now confirmed my theory from last night.
I have been so used to Pi's just plugging into any old monitor and working.
Just now plugged Pi4/Gentoo64 into a FHD TV, 1920 x 1080, it worked :D
Till now I had been using three old 1280x1024 DVI monitors for my Pi work.

I do remember Gentoo64 working on this monitor, 1280x1024 but I think the previous version 1.42? had the same issue.
Somehow between your first releases and the last two releases auto monitor recognition got broken?

I now need to fix Gentoo64 to boot on 1280x1024, so I can get back to using Gentoo64 ;)
I'm real interested to see how well an A72 optimized OS performs.

Thanks again for your help and patience.
Regards Gavin
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 am
I now need to fix Gentoo64 to boot on 1280x1024, so I can get back to using Gentoo64 ;)
I'm real interested to see how well an A72 optimized OS performs.

Thanks again for your help and patience.
Regards Gavin
By default, the image has no override set for hdmi_group or hdmi_mode, so whatever your monitor/tv reports as its default should be used. For most systems this works well, and 1280x1024 (@ various Hz) is not in any way a weird mode.

In any case, if you boot your system up on your TV on the HDMI 0 port, you could then try firing up the Applications -> Settings -> RPi Config Tool, and forcing the mode for the second display. To do so, click on the "Second Display" tab, and click on the "Override HDMI display's reported EDID data (if any)" checkbox. Then, select DMI in the HDMI group dropdown, and mode 35 (1280x1024 @60Hz) in the HDMI mode dropdown. Save your settings. This shouldn't affect your TV on HDMI0.

Then, when at work, plug your monitor into the HDMI1 port (the one further away from the USB-C power connector). Hopefully it should work now.

As to what the issue is, as I say I rely on the firmware to pass forward the viable groups / modes for the connected monitors. You can check what your display(s) have reported by issuing:

[email protected] ~$ tvservice -v 2 -m DMT
[email protected] ~$ tvservice -v 2 -m CEA
[email protected] ~$ tvservice -v 7 -m DMT
[email protected] ~$ tvservice -v 7 -m CEA
This should print a list of the HDMI0 and HDMI1 DMT and CEA viable modes for the connected monitors (if any), as the firmware sees them (the device numbers may vary from 2 (HDMI0) and 7 (HDMI1), but these seem to be the norm - you can always check with "tvservice -l").

If you could report the results from trying this on your problematic display, that'd be much appreciated. Hope you have fun with 1.5.0!

best

sakaki

bomblord

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 am

How does one go about logging in as root or changing the demouser password? The passwd command asks for the current password which I don't have and a google search doesn't seem to pull up.

Return to “Gentoo”