Dekomoro

Raspberry pi 4 Large storage

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:43 am

Im looking for an external hdd that uses usb 3.0 that would work with the pi 4.
Im preordering it and need it for storage uses

I still plan on using an sd card for boot however, and plan on booting multiple oses using the same storage

any suggestions???

W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry pi 4 Large storage

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Welcome to the forums.

The only USB 3 HDD specifically for the Pi, that I know of, is the WD PiDrive. Unfortunately, they are no longer made. There is also the question...what do you mean by "large storage"? How large? The PiDrive is 314GB.

If you use a USB 3 to SATA adapter, you should be able to connect any 2.5" HDD or SSD. For a 3.5" drive, you'll definitely need external power because they require 12v.

Gythral

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 pm

Any USB3 to SATA adapter should work
Then use a matching HDD/SSD
I alreay use one of the usb2.0 to mSata on a Pi3B, but the generic one does not do the USB boot! (genetic with a 256GB 1.8" mSATA SSD on it)

What would be useful is a list of models (and/or sources) of adapters that work for USB boot on the Pi3B/+ and later on the 4B (when this function becomes available)

Dekomoro

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 pm

What sata to usb adapter do you recommend????

Gythral

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 am

That looks like the right idea

The reason I went with the mSATA ssd (and adapter) was because it is clear that it will run off the usb power that the Pi will provide, which is the other thing you need to check (or use a powered hub)

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:07 am

Gythral wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 pm
What would be useful is a list of models (and/or sources) of adapters that work for USB boot on the Pi3B/+ and later on the 4B (when this function becomes available)
Actually... What would be even more useful would be feedback to the RPT engineers about which SATA bridge chips work and which don't so that they can see if they can tweak the EEPROM to handle more varieties. Let's at least leverage the ability to do updates to the "firmware" the Pi4B has.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 am

Dekomoro wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:43 am
I still plan on using an sd card for boot however, and plan on booting multiple oses using the same storage
If you are not booting from the USB drive, then any USB drive should work. You don't need anything special.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HawaiianPi

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:07 am
Actually... What would be even more useful would be feedback to the RPT engineers about which SATA bridge chips work and which don't...
If only it were that simple...

I have adapters from different companies with the same chipset that do and don't work.

I have adapters that work with some drives, but not others, while a different brand adapter with the same chipset will work with the drives that didn't work on the first adapter.

I have different model adapters from the same company, with the same chipset, that behave differently (Eluteng Black vs Blue).

It's likely the Pi4 will be, or can be made compatible with a wider variety of drives and adapters, since it does have upgradable firmware. Question is, how much time and effort will be needed to do that, and if the developers are willing.

Just be clear, I'm talking about USB booting with no SD card. I have had no trouble with any drive or adapter when booting from SD card and using USB drives as storage (that always works).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”