geffers

Pricing of Pi models

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Appreciating power consumption may be a factor but am wondering; the new 1GB Pi 4 is priced almost the same as a 1GB Pi 3+ so what would prompt someone to purchase a Pi 3+

I've still got a couple of Pi 1s (or the ones before the two) doing useful tasks, bought a couple of Zeros, again for simple but useful projects but, not sure I'd buy a 3+ for almost same price as a model 4

Geffers

rpdom

Re: Pricing of Pi models

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Continuity. If a company had designed a product around the Pi 3B+ they would want to keep using that version, otherwise they may have to redesign their case and also would have to upgrade to Buster which may not be compatible with their application.

wildfire

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 pm

geffers wrote:
Appreciating power consumption may be a factor but am wondering; the new 1GB Pi 4 is priced almost the same as a 1GB Pi 3+ so what would prompt someone to purchase a Pi 3+
Form factor, new connectors means new cables/adapters, probably a new enclosure. what's cheaper replacing a like for like or taking on a new system with additional expense?
I've still got a couple of Pi 1s (or the ones before the two) doing useful tasks, bought a couple of Zeros, again for simple but useful projects but, not sure I'd buy a 3+ for almost same price as a model 4
No one is asking you to (AFAIA), stick with what you've got if it works for you.
NF

Stanto

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 pm

geffers wrote:

Geffers
Physical design, the 3B+ has a different physical layout.

They also have different wireless LAN antenna and there may be some benefit to the older design.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 pm

geffers wrote:
Not almost, but exactly the same. The Pi2B (both versions) also list at $35. Some reasons someone might buy an older version could be availability, consistency across a group of boards, or preference for some subtlety of design--such as not needing new cases. As an example, I am considering buying some Pi2Bv1.2 boards to upgrade from Pi2Bv1.1. The reason I'm looking at the Pi2Bv1.2 is because the Pi3B/Pi3B+/Pi4B all have a "feature" I decidedly do not want for my use: wireless built in.
Think back about what you would have done last week.

Andyroo

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Time costs money in business :lol:

If you buy a new device you end up spending a lot of time learning its ‘features’ and here you have both a software and hardware change to cope with at once.

The old rule of ‘if it is not broken do not fiddle’ drives many an IT department :roll:

It’s fine to play at home (esp at these prices) but I would rather keep users happy with a slightly older working solution than one that came out today. Bleeding edge is aptly named and should only be used when it gives you a business advantage.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hippy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:00 am

[DELETED]

geffers

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 am

All good points brought up.

Geffers

Return to “General discussion”