Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 am

PeterO wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 am
jbeale wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 am
Alex has updated his power page..
https://raspi.tv/2019/how-much-power-do ... asurements
PeterO
How accurate are those figures really? Because according to the chart further into the post, the Pi3b and Pi2b use an identical amount of power which we know is not the case.
Typo?
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

PeterO

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 am
PeterO wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 am
jbeale wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 am
Alex has updated his power page..
https://raspi.tv/2019/how-much-power-do ... asurements
PeterO
How accurate are those figures really? Because according to the chart further into the post, the Pi3b and Pi2b use an identical amount of power which we know is not the case.
Typo?
If you check the older posts on Alex's site you will find https://raspi.tv/2016/how-much-power-do ... ed-to-pi2b
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

PeterO

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 am

I just noticed the supported open GLES version has gone up to 3.0 8-)
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Fleshreaper

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am

Hoping someone makes a reasonably priced laptop shell for this. The performance is getting to a usable level for a light laptop now.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:53 am

Fleshreaper wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am
Hoping someone makes a reasonably priced laptop shell for this. The performance is getting to a usable level for a light laptop now.

PiTop will likely be your best option, but cheap, not likely.

Very basic Windows 10 Netbook or a Chromebook £150.00+
Retired disgracefully.....

Gavinmc42

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:36 am

I was totally out in the predicted Pi4 time frame but got close to guessing the rest
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... n#p1141774

Two HDMIs, did anyone predict that?

Q1) Are we going to get a peak at all that engineering work that went into the VC6 and BCM2811?
Q2) How much was Broadcom and how much was RPT?

Brain dump, insert marker here #VC6 , google will find this 6 months from now as a reminder to check
Time to drag out Arm's Compute library and do a recompile with OpenCL now?
Wonder how much improvement we will get for OpenCL AI/ML/NN coding?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

spock

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:03 am

hojnikb wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:13 am
Functionally, eMMC is identical to SD cards (same bus protocol) it's just soldered to board, instead of being in a slot.
how is soldering on flash memory a good idea? sounds horrible to me if you have to throw away your computer just because the flash chip had too many rewrites. :(

laurent

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am

spock wrote:
hojnikb wrote:
Functionally, eMMC is identical to SD cards (same bus protocol) it's just soldered to board, instead of being in a slot.
how is soldering on flash memory a good idea? sounds horrible to me if you have to throw away your computer just because the flash chip had too many rewrites. :(
It is mandatory on some markets. Connectors are costly, and exposes to potential mechanical issues. The best practice for industrial applications is to avoid writes on flash as much as possible.
Last edited by laurent on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:20 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:36 am
I was totally out in the predicted Pi4 time frame but got close to guessing the rest
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... n#p1141774

Two HDMIs, did anyone predict that?

Q1) Are we going to get a peak at all that engineering work that went into the VC6 and BCM2811?
Q2) How much was Broadcom and how much was RPT?

Brain dump, insert marker here #VC6 , google will find this 6 months from now as a reminder to check
Time to drag out Arm's Compute library and do a recompile with OpenCL now?
Wonder how much improvement we will get for OpenCL AI/ML/NN coding?
1) Doubt it, that would require spending time which is in short supply, and probably much is confidential.
2) Some and some.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

okenido

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 am

Hi,
I have a product using the raspberry 3B+ with bare metal code... I'm using quite a lot of things currently : MMU, NEON SIMD, I2C, I2S, framebuffer access (software rendering), USB mass storage, EMMC read/write access, interrupts...
How hard would it be to get it running on the raspberry 4 ? I'm wondering how compatible is the new SoC relative to the previous one.

laurent

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am

Congratulations to the Pi staff for this work, and many many thanks for this brand new Pi !!!
I have so many questions but I have no doubt they will find answers soon - the best is coming. :D

I'm glad that so many user requests are satisfied in this new Pi, I wonder how user's feedback are took in account in the design of any new Pi ?

it's fun that a feature I was expected for the 3A (OTG and power on the same plug) is now on the 4B ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1403416 ) :mrgreen:

Thanks to the staff, which is very present on the forum, that's directly contributes to the community strength. Their presence is precious and plenty count in the educational purpose of the foundation. ;)

hojnikb

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 am

spock wrote:
hojnikb wrote:
Well, every smarthphone, tablet uses that exact type of memory and you dont exactly see mass defects because of that. If properly designed, its a non issue. Good wearlevelling and ECC and ill take 10s terabytes of rewrites to exhaust p/e cycles.

As in the case of rpi, its even better. Stick a eMMC module and set boot priority as last. If for some reason emmc ever dies, you can still stick a flash drive or sd card and boot off that, just as you could till now. It's really no reason why rpi shouldnt offer this as an optional extra.
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Everyone should have a taste of UK Raspberry Pie =D ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
Rasberry Pi, SoC @ 1225Mhz :o, 256MB Ram @ 550Mhz, 16GB SD-Card, Raspbian

jamesh

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 am

hojnikb wrote:
spock wrote:
hojnikb wrote:
Well, every smarthphone, tablet uses that exact type of memory and you dont exactly see mass defects because of that. If properly designed, its a non issue. Good wearlevelling and ECC and ill take 10s terabytes of rewrites to exhaust p/e cycles.

As in the case of rpi, its even better. Stick a eMMC module and set boot priority as last. If for some reason emmc ever dies, you can still stick a flash drive or sd card and boot off that, just as you could till now. It's really no reason why rpi shouldnt offer this as an optional extra.
eMMC is a nightmare of pain to implement (HW and SW) and costs a lot. We are more than happy with the SD card approach. It's cheaper, easier to use, and easy to fix when it breaks.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 am

laurent wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am
I'm glad that so many user requests are satisfied in this new Pi, I wonder how user's feedback are took in account in the design of any new Pi ?
TBH, we are all aware of the limitation of the products we sell, so a lot of the features added were pretty obvious, and were considered 3 years or so ago when the chip was architected (yes, it does take that long!). These were clear from the outset - more memory, faster I/O, HEVC support, 4k output support, better USB hardware (the USB on the previous SoC's required a lot of TLC). Faster 3D was a given as the VC5/6 were already designed.

So it actually unusual for user feedback to highlight anything we hadn't already thought of, but I do pass on anything that I see that is new and interesting.

hojnikb

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 am
hojnikb wrote:
spock wrote:

eMMC is a nightmare of pain to implement (HW and SW) and costs a lot. We are more than happy with the SD card approach. It's cheaper, easier to use, and easy to fix when it breaks.
just curious what kind of software does eMMC need, that isnt already there for sd cards?
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Everyone should have a taste of UK Raspberry Pie =D ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+

k-pi

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 am

Will get a 4GB RPi4 when they are (back ?) in stock - by then, hopefully it will be able to boot from USB3 SSD - & that should make for a decent desktop replacement. 8-)

hojnikb

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 am

k-pi wrote:
Will get a 4GB RPi4 when they are (back ?) in stock - by then, hopefully it will be able to boot from USB3 SSD - & that should make for a decent desktop replacement. 8-)
Get a fast A2 sd card, no need for an SSD, unless you're planning on doing some serious I/O :)

Heater

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 am

laurent,
It is mandatory on some markets. Connectors are costly, and exposes to potential mechanical issues. The best practice for industrial applications is to avoid writes on flash as much as possible.
Yes indeed.

The Pi is not in that market.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

smed

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am

Is there an easy way to distinguish how much ram the device has without booting it? My 4gb unit arrived this morning but can't see any numbers printed on it telling me the size.

hojnikb

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 am

smed wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am
Is there an easy way to distinguish how much ram the device has without booting it? My 4gb unit arrived this morning but can't see any numbers printed on it telling me the size.
you could probably check dram model number and work from there.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 am

hojnikb wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 am
Get a fast A2 sd card, no need for an SSD, unless you're planning on doing some serious I/O :)
Don't waste money on an A2 card. Unless the device is A2 certified it will be slower than an A1 card. I and several others have already learned that lesson the hard way.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am

k-pi wrote:
Makes a decent desktop just running from an SD card. I've been using Sandisk A1 16GB.

emilfr

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am

k-pi wrote:
maybe you should try this:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1484530
pik33 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm
I stil use good old method for my 3B+: the firmware and configs are on microSD, then root=/dev/sda2 in cmdline.txt. I think this should work for RPi4 too. The advantage is: I can move my SSD from one RPi to another still having different configs on these Pis
RPI Zero W || RPI 2B || 2x RPI 3B || 2x RPI 4B4G

LTolledo

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 am

@jamesh

I dont know if this has been asked and answered in this thread (or other threads) before but let me ask it again...

is the device limit for USB drives (before it was max 6 drives only, due to hardware limitations) been upgraded on the RPi4B?
if so what is the new limit?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

jamesh

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:19 am

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 am
@jamesh

I dont know if this has been asked and answered in this thread (or other threads) before but let me ask it again...

is the device limit for USB drives (before it was max 6 drives only, due to hardware limitations) been upgraded on the RPi4B?
if so what is the new limit?
I think it's now 32, IIRC from something jdb posted yesterday. The USB HW is completely new, and connected to the SoC via PCIe so high speed.

Return to “General discussion”