deepakdeshp

[SOLVED] Can I keep 16GB usb pen drive connected to Pi for 24 hours?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Hello,

I am setting up Pi as Plex media server. I will use 16 GB usb stick as the media to store my media files. It will be on 24 hours. Is it ok to keep it powered on for 24 hours? Does it have the capacity or will it get damaged?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyroo

Re: Can I keep 16GB usb pen drive connected to PI for 24 hours?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 pm

You sound be able to do so but it really depends on the stick itself.

I’ve used HP sticks with licence keys in servers for moths with no issues before today - these were fitted in the server case and got hot...

I would use a small hard drive to be honest if it was me as I find them more reliable long term but given the cost, just keep a copy of the files elsewhere and go for it.

Normally it’s writes that kill the SD / memory stick units rather than reads.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

HawaiianPi

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 pm

I have a few Pi computers that have been running 24-7/365 for years with a USB flash drive used for data and backups attached.

I'm not sure why you would think this could be a problem. USB flash drives are very frugal on power and have no moving parts. They don't wear out sitting idle or when reading data from them (no more than any other chip component, including those your Pi computer itself). They only wear out from data writes, but even that would take a very long time unless the drive is written to contrantly.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

deepakdeshp

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 pm
You sound be able to do so but it really depends on the stick itself.

I’ve used HP sticks with licence keys in servers for moths with no issues before today - these were fitted in the server case and got hot...

I would use a small hard drive to be honest if it was me as I find them more reliable long term but given the cost, just keep a copy of the files elsewhere and go for it.

Normally it’s writes that kill the SD / memory stick units rather than reads.
Thank you

Return to “Networking and servers”