TimG

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:51 pm
As the WiFi is just a module, I assume it is still fine for RS/Farnell to have orders for customised Pi4 without the WiFi/BT module there.
Cutting the antenna trace would be sufficient, shirley? And/or a solder blob shorting it to ground.

No, I'm not going to try it on my soon-to-arrive Pi4. Bravo to everybody at Raspberry HQ on the new Pi, including the wifi engineers.

webbsmurfen123

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Its really nice stats... However i am probably the only one whining..

What I really wanted was an 1ghz CPU with more memory, to top it off perhaps with some more cores.. making it faster will also make it more hungry for power.

I would have liked to see a a variant capable to run from a 5V 2.1A powerbank, like you could with the older Raspberry pi 2B. I like the idea to move around in the wild

nai1ed

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Now the really question is - when will the new Raspberry Pi Zero with 1gb ram and quad core cpu be out?

jbeale

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 pm

webbsmurfen123 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:58 pm
I would have liked to see a a variant capable to run from a 5V 2.1A powerbank, like you could with the older Raspberry pi 2B. I like the idea to move around in the wild
What I read is that is the Pi4 USB ports can provide a combined total of 1.2 A. If that assumes you are using the official supply which is 3A (15 W output), this means the Pi4 itself cannot use more than 1.8 A so unless you have power-hungry accessories, I think a 2.1A supply should still work.

If you DO have power-hungry accessories, there are USB-C power banks with 15 watt output.
Last edited by jbeale on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Will5455

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:09 pm

saw this and my jaw dropped gimmee gimme gimme!!!!!!
I do strange things and am sometimes the techhead stereotype.
deal with it!

dickon

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:25 pm

Excellent news, thankyou. Mine's due tomorrow, Royal Mail permitting. I was worried you'd have to end up doing something with Mali or similar, which I've had much less success with on non-Pi SBCs.

One question, which I have a feeling 6by9 is going to hate me for: is it / will it ever be possible to drive the H.265 decoder (with all that that entails, regarding pumping that extra data through the rest of the stack) via OpenMAX?

Thanks. I'm awaiting the post tomorrow with interest.

pi3g
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:31 pm

KanoMaster22 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm
okenido wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:07 pm
Do you know if the I2C bug has been corrected in the BCM2711 ? (bug about the I2C clock stretching, has been there since a decade)
This question also interests me. Does anyone know the answer to it?

Another great product from the Raspberry Pi team. Can't wait to get my hands on one (when the 4GB ones are back in stock).
I believe it has been fixed.
picockpit.com - tools to make your life with the Pi a little bit easier

Skinkie

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:36 pm

I searched through this topic and didn't find anything on a pretty pressing topic yet: how does the interrupt controller on the Pi 4 work? Does it distribute all interrupts over multiple cores, or is the behavior similar to all previous Pi's where only one single core handles all interrupts and by handling them it fully stops processing?

Keywords: irq affinity
Previous topics: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=38076

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:40 pm

dickon wrote:
One question, which I have a feeling 6by9 is going to hate me for: is it / will it ever be possible to drive the H.265 decoder (with all that that entails, regarding pumping that extra data through the rest of the stack) via OpenMAX?
No.
The H265 decoder is currently accessed via a modified FFmpeg, it doesn't touch the GPU at all. It is effectively open, therefore there is no need to insert IL or MMAL or any other API in the way.
The hope is to switch to use the V4L2 M2M API (almost certainly the stateless variant), but we (I) need to improve our understanding of it first. With that, the expectation is that the ffmeg and GStreamer implementations of said API will just work. We pretty much have that with the existing codecs (via the stateful V4L2 API) at the moment.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RichardUK

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 pm

pi3g wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:31 pm
KanoMaster22 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm
okenido wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:07 pm
Do you know if the I2C bug has been corrected in the BCM2711 ? (bug about the I2C clock stretching, has been there since a decade)
This question also interests me. Does anyone know the answer to it?

Another great product from the Raspberry Pi team. Can't wait to get my hands on one (when the 4GB ones are back in stock).
I believe it has been fixed.
Pimironi have said in their video this morning that it has been fixed. Time will tell if they are correct.

RichardUK

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Waiting to see how much over clocking head room is. :) I'm just interested don't need to it. Any guesses??? :D

radek.salomon

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Great job, guys! You made really good job. Based on the specs, we are not able to answer one idea. Is there any way how to connect Coral board in the version of Mini PCIe / M.2 Accelerator? It seems there is no path to connect PCIe or M.2 directly without using some usb stuff.

Thanks a lot :-)

timg236

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 pm

vithusel wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:12 pm
Just to check. How would I go about enabling usb boot?
USB & PXE boot support will me added later on via a bootloader update. This is now in the EEPROM so it's much easier for us to deliver new features. However, for launch other features such as 4K and general stability and bug fixing were a higher priority.

pi3g
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

radek.salomon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Great job, guys! You made really good job. Based on the specs, we are not able to answer one idea. Is there any way how to connect Coral board in the version of Mini PCIe / M.2 Accelerator? It seems there is no path to connect PCIe or M.2 directly without using some usb stuff.

Thanks a lot :-)
As far as I understand it the single available PCI Express lane is connected directly to the VLI Chip, which in turn does USB.
The answer would be then (apart from significant board modifications I guess) no.
picockpit.com - tools to make your life with the Pi a little bit easier

rpiMike

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

RichardUK wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm
Waiting to see how much over clocking head room is. :) I'm just interested don't need to it. Any guesses??? :D
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ra ... ,6188.html

dickon

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm

6by9 wrote:
dickon wrote:
No.
The H265 decoder is currently accessed via a modified FFmpeg, it doesn't touch the GPU at all. It is effectively open, therefore there is no need to insert IL or MMAL or any other API in the way.
Pity, as that precludes using the various bits of the pipeline to do stuff with -- resize, etc. -- but I don't blame you for a minute...
The hope is to switch to use the V4L2 M2M API (almost certainly the stateless variant), but we (I) need to improve our understanding of it first. With that, the expectation is that the ffmeg and GStreamer implementations of said API will just work. We pretty much have that with the existing codecs (via the stateful V4L2 API) at the moment.
Will I be able to play 4K H.265 tomorrow morning, out of the box, or is it all still a work in progress?

gtechn

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 pm

For the Engineers: GREAT RELEASE! Way better than I was remotely hoping for!

I'm not whining about this at all, just asking in curiosity: Why did you use micro HDMI instead of the mini HDMI on the Pi Zero (I'm assuming board space?) I don't care at all about spending an extra $10, I'm just curious about the inconsistency.

rpdom

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Has the maximum number of USB endpoints been increased? It would be good to be able to hook up more than half a dozen USB peripherals.

jamesh

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:07 pm

dickon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm
6by9 wrote:
dickon wrote:
No.
Pity, as that precludes using the various bits of the pipeline to do stuff with -- resize, etc. -- but I don't blame you for a minute...
Will I be able to play 4K H.265 tomorrow morning, out of the box, or is it all still a work in progress?
Kodi has all the required support.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

k-pi

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Ok, from what I've read so far.....

It doesn't boot from USB
It doesn't boot from the network
So, it only boots from micro SDHC cards

It needs a different PSU, (using a different plug/socket)
It needs micro HTML cables
It needs a different case

jbrown

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi!

This new VC6 thing... is it still instruction-set compatible with the VC4? Will there be documentation released for the VideoCore processor? I did a little bit of work on the GNU toolchain port (binutils, Newlib, GCC) for the VC4, though there were some puzzling things about interrupt handling and so forth that I never figured out. It'd be nice to learn what was going on there, some time.

Anyway, I'm a bit out of the loop with r-pi stuff, but if there's stuff it'd be useful to add to my toolchain, let me know!

Cheers,
Julian

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 pm

k-pi wrote:

It doesn't boot from USB
It doesn't boot from the network
So, it only boots from micro SDHC cards

It needs a different PSU, (using a different plug/socket)
It needs micro HTML cables
It needs a different case

Well done for reading and understanding the Official Blog
:D

Though many things are still the same, such as the 1.2A maximum total USB peripheral current draw....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

DarkPlatinum

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:30 pm

k-pi wrote:
It doesn't boot from USB
Is there a way to do USB boot at all? This might be a problem for me as I keep my OS storage on a 1TB HDD...
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

DaQatz

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:30 pm
k-pi wrote:
It doesn't boot from USB
Is there a way to do USB boot at all? This might be a problem for me as I keep my OS storage on a 1TB HDD...
If you put the kernel and Init on the SD card with the correct settings you can make it use the USB drive.

pik33

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm

I stil use good old method for my 3B+: the firmware and configs are on microSD, then root=/dev/sda2 in cmdline.txt. I think this should work for RPi4 too. The advantage is: I can move my SSD from one RPi to another still having different configs on these Pis

Return to “General discussion”