User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 am

Also, perhaps you should have read the documentation on the new peripheral alt settings: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... minary.pdf
Is there any register documentation yet for all these nice new i2c, uarts etc?
They are going to be real handy especially for those big robotics projects.
Check the Linux driver sources? Now or later?
Hmm, later?

4GB versions? Need two to replace the boat anchors :D
Not even Xmas so I cannot ask Santa :(
So get two 1GB ones now 2 x 4GB later?
How many Pi4's do I need?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22666
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am

zohixatax wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 am
DISABLE WIFI/Bluetooth - Or Better still is there going to be a version with no WIFI/BT Chip ??

Is there a WIF/BlueTooth Hardware switch ?

I know you can disable this with software, but when thats done is the chip OFF ??
Let me get this right. We release a new Pi, with loads of extra features, and amazing specs, at an amazing price.

And for your first post you want to turn stuff off or remove it completely? Stuff that us engineers have spent years of our lives on.

Sometimes, I just despair.

Still, I guess it happened on every single release we have done - I should be getting used to it by now.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

scotty101
Posts: 3597
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am

tinkerBOY wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 am
Are the DPI GPIO pins still the same?
Check the preliminary datasheet. Looks like they are the same
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... minary.pdf
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

pudding
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am

What an amazing engineering achievement! Great to see the usual well thought out evolution of the RPi. I'm glad the Videocore is still part of this SOC too. I assume full backwards software compatibility for Videocore/dispmanx support? Is 3D MVC support still in the chip?
Was concerned about it still only having the SD for storage with performance issues but hopefully booting to USB3 SSD will resolve this.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22666
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 am
Also, perhaps you should have read the documentation on the new peripheral alt settings: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... minary.pdf
Is there any register documentation yet for all these nice new i2c, uarts etc?
They are going to be real handy especially for those big robotics projects.
Check the Linux driver sources? Now or later?
Hmm, later?

4GB versions? Need two to replace the boat anchors :D
Not even Xmas so I cannot ask Santa :(
So get two 1GB ones now 2 x 4GB later?
How many Pi4's do I need?
Can you PLEASE stop these brain dumps. If you have questions, please ask them. Questions that we cannot answer include trying to figure out what is going on inside your head.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:08 am

endera wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 am
hi,

Will this new(Rpi4) product support Windows 10?
If you mean Windows 10 IOT as is available for the Pi3b etc, not until Microsoft updates it to support the new hardware.

If you mean Windows 10 desktop for x86 PC's, maybe via emulation but you're on your own in getting it to work.

@Jamesh
Don't despair, I assume people want to turn stuff off in order to use less energy.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1995
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 am
Also, perhaps you should have read the documentation on the new peripheral alt settings: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... minary.pdf
Is there any register documentation yet for all these nice new i2c, uarts etc?
They are going to be real handy especially for those big robotics projects.
Check the Linux driver sources? Now or later?
Kernel source should be available shortly - new peripherals are mostly copy-pastes of the old ones (with a few fixes).
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22666
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 am

pudding wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am
What an amazing engineering achievement! Great to see the usual well thought out evolution of the RPi. I'm glad the Videocore is still part of this SOC too. I assume full backwards software compatibility for Videocore/dispmanx support? Is 3D MVC support still in the chip?
Was concerned about it still only having the SD for storage with performance issues but hopefully booting to USB3 SSD will resolve this.
Should all be backwards compatible. Note, that MP2 and VC1 HW decode support has been removed - this can now be done in software and therefore needs no licence key.

3D MVC? What is that?

SD card should be about twice the speed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

dorbbobr
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:08 am

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 am

jdb wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:57 am
HEVC hardware decode supports 4kp60, 10-bit.
That's an extremely important clarification that imo should be emphasized in official specs, a lot of folks will use RPI4 as media streamers and HDR capability is an essential feature.

scotty101
Posts: 3597
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am
Let me get this right. We release a new Pi, with loads of extra features, and amazing specs, at an amazing price.

And for your first post you want to turn stuff off or remove it completely? Stuff that us engineers have spent years of our lives on.

Sometimes, I just despair.

Still, I guess it happened on every single release we have done - I should be getting used to it by now.
Welcome to the internet. There is always a hater/troll.
The sales figure of the Pi alone are a testament to the fact that you guys are doing the right things.
Block them and move on.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mikerr
Posts: 2768
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:23 am

Fantastic news, got my 4GB order in earlier !

Looks like everything I wanted is there:

- Faster CPU
- Proper gigabit ethernet
- USB3
- Oodles of RAM
- Buster

Struggling to find minor cons, but:

- No IR (but cheap to add on)
- No SATA ( USB3 - SATA is cheap though)
- Single CSI (so compute module still needed if you want dual cameras)
- MP2 hw codec gone (sw fast enough)
- No USB/netboot at launch (but added later with user update to the EEPROM)

Nothing to moan about here, just waiting for delivery now !
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Heater
Posts: 12609
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:27 am

Ha! I disable WiFi and such with a soldering iron. Or just side cutters!

Well done everyone. The Pi 4 is great news.

Mostly the same, but mo' better, just how we like it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22666
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 am

Heater wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:27 am
Mostly the same, but mo' better, just how we like it.
Under the skin, much is different. This is the biggest HW change in Pi history.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

LTolledo
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:35 am

Damn! Am late!.... just saw it on Youtube just a while ago...

oh well, now the hard part is the "waiting game" for it to be available at my favorite stores.....

time to update this desktop again..... :D
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

tpyo kingg
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:26 pm
Location: N. Finland

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 am
Under the skin, much is different. This is the biggest HW change in Pi history.
Exciting. I guess there will be some general-audience blog posts or articles going into the details when the time is right.

Can I ask if HDMI sound would be able to play independently via each HDMI port?

glynallinson
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am
zohixatax wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 am
DISABLE WIFI/Bluetooth - Or Better still is there going to be a version with no WIFI/BT Chip ??

Is there a WIF/BlueTooth Hardware switch ?

I know you can disable this with software, but when thats done is the chip OFF ??
Let me get this right. We release a new Pi, with loads of extra features, and amazing specs, at an amazing price.

And for your first post you want to turn stuff off or remove it completely? Stuff that us engineers have spent years of our lives on.

Sometimes, I just despair.

Still, I guess it happened on every single release we have done - I should be getting used to it by now.
I love it, funniest response ever.

Heater
Posts: 12609
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am

jamesh,
Under the skin, much is different. This is the biggest HW change in Pi history.
I have no doubt about that.

Don't care.

Same form factor, same mounting holes, same GPIO, same power requirements, same .... looks like I'm going to be very happy it does not break anything I currently do with Pi, whilst being even more happy I can make use of all the mo' better features.

Well, I do care, changes in what we don't see make what we do see possible.

Alex.
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:49 am

Wow, really impressive!

There's a detail I don't understand: you said it's Bluetooth 5, but according to specs the CYW43455 is only 4.1. Is there a new unannounced chipset release that supports 5?

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1995
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 am
Under the skin, much is different. This is the biggest HW change in Pi history.
Exciting. I guess there will be some general-audience blog posts or articles going into the details when the time is right.

Can I ask if HDMI sound would be able to play independently via each HDMI port?
As of right now, HDMI audio and CEC are single-head (so one port will do both CEC and audio at the same time). You can select which port gets audio/CEC through config.txt.

At some point we may update the alsa driver for an added playback route so you can swap it at runtime.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22666
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am

Heater wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am
jamesh,
Under the skin, much is different. This is the biggest HW change in Pi history.
I have no doubt about that.

Don't care.

Same form factor, same mounting holes, same GPIO, same power requirements, same .... looks like I'm going to be very happy it does not break anything I currently do with Pi, whilst being even more happy I can make use of all the mo' better features.

Well, I do care, changes in what we don't see make what we do see possible.
We do care about backwards compatibility. The dual monitor support was awkward!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
pi3g
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am

Concerning the possibility of Windows on the Pi 4:
There is a version of Windows for ARM CPUs, which even has x86 emulation built-in. Meaning you would be able to run x86 applications, e.g. Word, etc.
Some people have got it working on Pi 3B+ (article is in German):
https://buyzero.de/blogs/news/windows-1 ... spberry-pi

Unfortunately driver support is still lacking, and you can't use drivers built for x86 on the ARM version of Windows.
Microsoft might very well do something for the Pi in the future - just an educated guess, seeing as the Pi 4 is an incredible computer, and would perform excellently in the office! Browsing is soo smooth with it!
picockpit.com - tools to make your life with the Pi a little bit easier

User avatar
pi3g
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 am

@jamesh: Can you tell us a bit more about the challenges with dual monitor support in the SoC design?
picockpit.com - tools to make your life with the Pi a little bit easier

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22666
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 am

pi3g wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am
Concerning the possibility of Windows on the Pi 4:
There is a version of Windows for ARM CPUs, which even has x86 emulation built-in. Meaning you would be able to run x86 applications, e.g. Word, etc.
Some people have got it working on Pi 3B+ (article is in German):
https://buyzero.de/blogs/news/windows-1 ... spberry-pi

Unfortunately driver support is still lacking, and you can't use drivers built for x86 on the ARM version of Windows.
Microsoft might very well do something for the Pi in the future - just an educated guess, seeing as the Pi 4 is an incredible computer, and would perform excellently in the office! Browsing is soo smooth with it!
I think a decent port is entirely down to Microsoft. So far I've not heard anything about any collaboration.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

gkreidl
Posts: 5950
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:57 am

Is OpenMax still supported? Will omxplayer continue to work (except for the missing HW codecs)? I'm using it a lot of projects.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Killertechno
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 am

Are you planning to build CM4 and/or any upgrade for CM3?

Return to “General discussion”