Pantera

Information about manufacturing technology: how many soldering, soldering, etc. needed to calculate reliability

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 am

Hi!
I am a master student and I need to know more about the manufacturing technology Ras Pi 3+ and Servo HAT for the dissertation thesis in the field of reliability. I need to know the data on the number of components on the boards, with what technology they were welded, the working temperature, the warranty period, etc.

rpdom

Re: Information about manufacturing technology: how many soldering, soldering, etc. needed to calculate reliability

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am

Buy one and find out?

Then you can count the components, read the notes that come with it about working environment temperatures etc.

It will not mention how the Pi is manufactured. Obviously the components are soldered in place with lead-free solder as is all mass-produced electronic equipment.

The warranty period will depend on the country and seller it is bought from. In the EU there is (I believe) a 2 year period of cover for defects and various shorter periods for other issues.

The estimated lifespan of a Pi 1 was said to be about 30-35 years. I suspect later models may not last so long because of the higher clock speeds and stress on the component.

As for reliability, I have over 20 of them in various models. A couple are original Pis from 2012. Only two have failed and I believe that may have been my fault. I currently have 11 running 24/7 with no issues. Two of those are early models.

If anything is going to fail on a Pi, I have found that it is most likely to be the SD card, or occasionally the power supply. Not the Pi itself - unless it is mistreated.

LTolledo

Re: Information about manufacturing technology: how many soldering, soldering, etc. needed to calculate reliability

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am

Dont just buy one, buy every model and count each solder points, take lots pictures (magnified) as references.

Reliability depends on how you use/abuse it.

For the rest, some brute force internet search might give you some hits...

In what part of the globe are you taking your master degree?
( If you dont answer, this post and its duplicate will be deemed spam post, and will likely be locked and/or deleted)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Advanced users”