bradsorph

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm
.. could you pls tell us, where you purchased the alphanumeric keys. They look very „jukebox authentic“.
I got it from aliexpress, but you can look for them elsewhere typing "rectangular arcade buttons".

The number are laser printed stickers (you can find this special paper on the main stores on line)

;)

bradsorph

Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm

CHRISARCADE wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 pm
im having an issue with the install of fruitbox.il do the steps to install it,it opens up and runs it works.when i turn off the pi or reboot it,when i try to launch fruitbox it says command not found.can someone help m with this please ive been at it all da
I think you are not on the right path. You should go on the path where it has been installed.

Example (after login):

Code: Select all

cd /rpi-fruitbox-master/
./fruitbox --cfg ./skins/YourSkin/yourconfigfile.cfg
If you want fruitbox to run at boot you can follow this tutorial I did http://music.andrearaso.org/blog/2019/0 ... pberry-pi/.
It is in italian because it has been requested by an Italian community. You can try to use google translate.

bradsorph

Fri May 24, 2019 2:14 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Hi Raimund
The clicky switches are easy to strip for adding numbers and words to the button, see photo, a knife blade under the button will lift off the clear cover. The insert in the button can be removed by inserting the knife blade at the ends, this will release the opaque insert where you can stick on a vinyl letter or word. Further examples for connecting switches and wireless/ usb numeric keypads can be seen on pages 22, 23 and 25.

This is a great piece of software very versatile. Thanks to Mike
I also got this buttons in the past, but I bought differnet ones because these were on/off. Can you please tell me how you make them to send a signal only without switch?

RainbowJuke

Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Hi bradsorph
Latched-to-Momentary.jpg
Latched-to-Momentary.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
To make a latched switch into a momentary you need to remove the latching pin. Insert two blades over the two small blue retaining lugs, with a pair of pliers pull on the centre connection. It will need a strong pull to over ride the blades friction, try and pull slowly you do not want to lose the small return spring. Be sure you are working in an area that small parts will be detected if they fly away. Remove the brass retaining clip and latching pin. Reassemble, no need use the blades.

bradsorph

Mon May 27, 2019 3:19 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 pm
Hi bradsorphLatched-to-Momentary.jpg
To make a latched switch into a momentary you need to remove the latching pin. Insert two blades over the two small blue retaining lugs, with a pair of pliers pull on the centre connection. It will need a strong pull to over ride the blades friction, try and pull slowly you do not want to lose the small return spring. Be sure you are working in an area that small parts will be detected if they fly away. Remove the brass retaining clip and latching pin. Reassemble, no need use the blades.
I was guessing something like that.
Thanks!

bradsorph

Mon May 27, 2019 3:23 pm

CHRISARCADE wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 pm
im having an issue with the install of fruitbox.il do the steps to install it,it opens up and runs it works.when i turn off the pi or reboot it,when i try to launch fruitbox it says command not found.can someone help m with this please ive been at it all da
Since I had multiple requests I did the same tutorial in English: https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Jukebox/

DA313

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:26 am

Just got Fruitbox to running after having to teach myself some bash. Hope to install a RPi running Fruitbox in a vintage stereo with a HiFiBerry amp. Major kudos to Mike for developing this!
"From this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety." (Shakespeare, Henry IV)

Amiro

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 am

Hi Mike,
I’m almost finish with the JukeBox but I’m having a bit of trouble with the buttons.
I got a zero delay USB controller for 12 buttons, that works flawlessly.(GPIO 200+)
I tried a second one for 16 buttons but the buttons address is the same for both card.
I was reading that some people used the IPAC 2 card some I got one to try but every time I assigns a button to it (GPIO in the 30’s) the program seems to start normally but returns to the desktop, if I delete the button file it starts normally.
I know I can use the GPIO pins of the rasberry but I dont like it, so I was trying to stay away from it, the IPAC seems like a good fit since it has 32 buttons , on my setup I have 28 buttons on the front and 4 on the back.
(6 letters, 10 numbers, 4 direction, 8 function ie:pause,skip,mute on the front and 4 in back for Quit, Coin, Auto,Freeplay) those 4 are plug on the rasberry.
The only time I came across the boot up issue was like for 2 buttons assign the same address or wrong path to a file.
Is there anything else I could use to fix this problem.
Thanks,
Mario

Amiro

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Amiro wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 am
Hi Mike,
I’m almost finish with the JukeBox but I’m having a bit of trouble with the buttons.
I got a zero delay USB controller for 12 buttons, that works flawlessly.(GPIO 200+)
I tried a second one for 16 buttons but the buttons address is the same for both card.
I was reading that some people used the IPAC 2 card some I got one to try but every time I assigns a button to it (GPIO in the 30’s) the program seems to start normally but returns to the desktop, if I delete the button file it starts normally.
I know I can use the GPIO pins of the rasberry but I dont like it, so I was trying to stay away from it, the IPAC seems like a good fit since it has 32 buttons , on my setup I have 28 buttons on the front and 4 on the back.
(6 letters, 10 numbers, 4 direction, 8 function ie:pause,skip,mute on the front and 4 in back for Quit, Coin, Auto,Freeplay) those 4 are plug on the rasberry.
The only time I came across the boot up issue was like for 2 buttons assign the same address or wrong path to a file.
Is there anything else I could use to fix this problem.

Stubbornness kicked in again found a joystick controller I had for my arcade box and tried that and monkeys uncle got it to work they shoes up as Key 300’s so I was able to get them all working.
My box is finally done and fully working, Thanks Mike for the great work you have put in this software.
Sincerely,
Mario
Thanks,
Mario

fruitbox

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi Mario

Glad you got it working. The problem with identical controllers being treated as the same one is a known issue with fruitbox but I think I have fixed it now, and will be available in the next release.

Not exactly sure when the next release will be ready though as it has lots of new features which I'm still working on and debugging...

Cheers
Mike

DA313

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Everyone, got it to running flawlessly with WallJuke, WallSmall, and Modern skins, but Granite and Splat are giving me:

ERROR: Not enough key combinations (20) for number of visible songs (24) (or very similar).

Is this a thing I can solve by custom key mapping or is there another solution? I have a number pad keyboard I'm going to use with my jukebox and remap keys with it shortly if that's the case.

Thanks in advance.
"From this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety." (Shakespeare, Henry IV)

fruitbox

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:17 am

DA313 wrote:
Everyone, got it to running flawlessly with WallJuke, WallSmall, and Modern skins, but Granite and Splat are giving me:

ERROR: Not enough key combinations (20) for number of visible songs (24) (or very similar).

Is this a thing I can solve by custom key mapping or is there another solution? I have a number pad keyboard I'm going to use with my jukebox and remap keys with it shortly if that's the case.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Looks like I didn't update the skins config files properly when I released v1.12, when the select buttons parameters changed. I've now fixed the Splat config so you can just grab the Splat fruitbox.cfg files from GitHub. If you want to edit your copy locally, I just changed the SelectButtons entries as follows...

SelectButtons = ABC
SelectButtons = 12345678
...this gives 3x8 = 24 selections possible rather than 20 as before. Just a point to note however, that the Splat skin was a joystick demonstrator and as such it doesn't have the select codes displayed as part of the skin. If you like, you can add them to the skin by maybe adding a [bitmap] object with the labels in it, or "cheat" by running fruitbox with the --debug-song-nums option, which will add the codes to the front of the song names. This is really supposed to be used to help you when you're debugging skins you're designing, but may be ok for you.

However, for the Granite skin, it looks ok...this is an albums mode skin, which has only four selections, and the SelectButtons look ok. Maybe it's a bug in the latest version of frutibox, so I'll take a look when I get the chance...In the meantime if you can give me the exact fruitbox error for the Granite skin that may help.

Cheers,
Mike

Amiro

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:53 am

fruitbox wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 pm
Hi Mario

Glad you got it working. The problem with identical controllers being treated as the same one is a known issue with fruitbox but I think I have fixed it now, and will be available in the next release.

Not exactly sure when the next release will be ready though as it has lots of new features which I'm still working on and debugging...

Cheers
Mike
That’s fantastic, can’t wait to see the new update.
I never had to update yet but those it loose all the settings done that we got made when you update/
Great work mike!

Amiro

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:30 pm

0149C6D8-4492-45E3-B0A5-CCDEB6DADB63.jpeg
Final result of the Jukebox!
0149C6D8-4492-45E3-B0A5-CCDEB6DADB63.jpeg (215.62 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

Amiro

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:36 pm

723154CC-24A6-4B56-80E8-F572E665C8E6.jpeg
E-Jukebox
723154CC-24A6-4B56-80E8-F572E665C8E6.jpeg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

DA313

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:00 am

fruitbox wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:17 am
DA313 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Looks like I didn't update the skins config files properly when I released v1.12, when the select buttons parameters changed. I've now fixed the Splat config so you can just grab the Splat fruitbox.cfg files from GitHub. If you want to edit your copy locally, I just changed the SelectButtons entries as follows...

SelectButtons = ABC
SelectButtons = 12345678
...this gives 3x8 = 24 selections possible rather than 20 as before. Just a point to note however, that the Splat skin was a joystick demonstrator and as such it doesn't have the select codes displayed as part of the skin. If you like, you can add them to the skin by maybe adding a [bitmap] object with the labels in it, or "cheat" by running fruitbox with the --debug-song-nums option, which will add the codes to the front of the song names. This is really supposed to be used to help you when you're debugging skins you're designing, but may be ok for you.

However, for the Granite skin, it looks ok...this is an albums mode skin, which has only four selections, and the SelectButtons look ok. Maybe it's a bug in the latest version of frutibox, so I'll take a look when I get the chance...In the meantime if you can give me the exact fruitbox error for the Granite skin that may help.

Cheers,
Mike
That did the trick! HiFiBerry amp comes tomorrow in the mail! Will post pics soon... thanks again Mike!!!

hankchad

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi
First, I want to say thank you for making this available, it is brilliant!
I've done a search through the thread and I'm quite surprised I didn't find my same problem spoken about. I would like to set the default audio output of fruitbox to a bluetooth speaker that I have paired and connected to. When I play music from the desktop it plays through the speaker fine but when I start fruitbox, it seems to default to hdmi output. I tried commenting out dtparam=audio=on in the config file but now when I try to start fruitbox I get "ERROR: could not connect audio". Can anyone tell me if it's possible to solve my problem?

DA313

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:33 am

Ok, this might have been answered before, but I didn't see when I searched...

Got the HiFiBerry Amp2 running after some code modifications. Boot fruitbox.... and the volume is LOUD. Like push the volume down button four or five times loud. Any cures for this?

Otherwise, my 79 year old father is very impressed with your program and says he's never heard the old stereo play Marty Robbins that well!

EDIT: Saw the answer. Forgive my poor searching capabilities. Question for Mike, did you ever make volume logarithmic?

fruitbox

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 am

DA313 wrote:

Got the HiFiBerry Amp2 running after some code modifications. Boot fruitbox.... and the volume is LOUD. Like push the volume down button four or five times loud. Any cures for this?

Otherwise, my 79 year old father is very impressed with your program and says he's never heard the old stereo play Marty Robbins that well!

EDIT: Saw the answer. Forgive my poor searching capabilities. Question for Mike, did you ever make volume logarithmic?
Hi

Yes volume is now logarithmic. Regarding the volume, I presumed you used the initial volume setting in the skins config file? (SongVolume setting in the [sounds] section). It's worth noting that this just sets the initial volume, so the user can still crank it up using the volume buttons to its loudest, which may be to loud for you, and also since there are only ten volume steps you may not get a small enough volume change each time. One solution to this is to change the master volume range before you run fruitbox, by using the alsamixer command line utility. You only need to do this once as the setting is remembered even after power cycling. Just type alsamixer from a command prompt and use the up and down cursor keys on your keyboard to adjust the maximum volume. Then when you run fruitbox you will be able to change the volume from silent to this max volume you have set.

Cheers
Mike

fruitbox

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am

hankchad wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm
Hi
First, I want to say thank you for making this available, it is brilliant!
I've done a search through the thread and I'm quite surprised I didn't find my same problem spoken about. I would like to set the default audio output of fruitbox to a bluetooth speaker that I have paired and connected to. When I play music from the desktop it plays through the speaker fine but when I start fruitbox, it seems to default to hdmi output. I tried commenting out dtparam=audio=on in the config file but now when I try to start fruitbox I get "ERROR: could not connect audio". Can anyone tell me if it's possible to solve my problem?
Hi

I'm not really an expert in this area, but fruitbox uses the default sound device for its audio output, so you need to somehow make the bluetooth device the default audio device. You may be able to do this in a similar way to those people who are using Amp boards such as the HiFiBerry. Just to let you know that hopefully in the next fruitbox release you will be able to specify sound devices from within the config files, and it should be able to support multiple devices (so for example having the music play through an amp and the sound effects through the jack)

Cheers
Mike

Micksdk

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Hey.
Is there anyone who has found a way to control the sound up one down. with "ButtonVol". I get very loud sound or no sound. would like to have a small jump in sound strength.

Regards Mick

DA313

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am

fruitbox wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 am
DA313 wrote:

Hi

Yes volume is now logarithmic. Regarding the volume, I presumed you used the initial volume setting in the skins config file? (SongVolume setting in the [sounds] section). It's worth noting that this just sets the initial volume, so the user can still crank it up using the volume buttons to its loudest, which may be to loud for you, and also since there are only ten volume steps you may not get a small enough volume change each time. One solution to this is to change the master volume range before you run fruitbox, by using the alsamixer command line utility. You only need to do this once as the setting is remembered even after power cycling. Just type alsamixer from a command prompt and use the up and down cursor keys on your keyboard to adjust the maximum volume. Then when you run fruitbox you will be able to change the volume from silent to this max volume you have set.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks again Mike. The alsamixer was the perfect solution. FYI to HiFiBerry Amp2 users, you probably want your max digital volume to be around 60%ish if you want to be able to have a conversation while the music plays. I can't wait to show you the finished project.

fruitbox

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 am

DA313 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am
Thanks again Mike. The alsamixer was the perfect solution. FYI to HiFiBerry Amp2 users, you probably want your max digital volume to be around 60%ish if you want to be able to have a conversation while the music plays. I can't wait to show you the finished project.

That's great.

Not sure if it's of any interest to you, but on GitHub I have a separate project called rotary_alsa_volume which you can run alongside fruitbox, and will let you control the alsamixer volume using a rotary encoder connected to two GPIO of your choice. This way you can have an old style knob you turn to change the volume.

https://github.com/chundermike/rotary_alsa_volume

Cheers
Mike

mamer999

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Mike,

I hope everything is okay. Unfortunately I have to bother you again. I bought a new touch screen for a new fruitbox project,
(Waveshare Raspberry Pi 10.1inch HDMI LCD 1024x600 Capacitive Touch Screen). Is detected by evtest and works perfectly with the PI, but unfortunately not with fruitbox. Touch is not recognized at all! Output from evtest:

Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x483 product 0x5710 version 0x100
Input device name: "waveshare HDMI/VGA/AV RTD2660H Viedo Board"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 272 (BTN_LEFT)
  Event type 3 (EV_ABS)
    Event code 0 (ABS_X)
      Value    839
      Min        0
      Max    10000
    Event code 1 (ABS_Y)
      Value   3333
      Min        0
      Max    10000
  Event type 4 (EV_MSC)
    Event code 4 (MSC_SCAN)
Properties:
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Event: time 1560758178.539460, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90001
Event: time 1560758178.539460, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 272 (BTN_LEFT), value 1
Event: time 1560758178.539460, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 0 (ABS_X), value 5126
Event: time 1560758178.539460, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 1 (ABS_Y), value 5300
Event: time 1560758178.539460, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758178.571440, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 0 (ABS_X), value 5117
Event: time 1560758178.571440, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 1 (ABS_Y), value 5283
Event: time 1560758178.571440, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758178.603436, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 1 (ABS_Y), value 5266
Event: time 1560758178.603436, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758178.635437, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90001
Event: time 1560758178.635437, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 272 (BTN_LEFT), value 0
Event: time 1560758178.635437, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758179.947440, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90001
Event: time 1560758179.947440, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 272 (BTN_LEFT), value 1
Event: time 1560758179.947440, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 0 (ABS_X), value 7949
Event: time 1560758179.947440, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 1 (ABS_Y), value 4633
Event: time 1560758179.947440, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758179.979431, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 0 (ABS_X), value 7968
Event: time 1560758179.979431, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758180.011429, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 1 (ABS_Y), value 4650
Event: time 1560758180.011429, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1560758180.043430, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90001
Event: time 1560758180.043430, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 272 (BTN_LEFT), value 0
Cheers

Jürgen

fruitbox

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 pm

• P
mamer999 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 am
Hi Mike,

I hope everything is okay. Unfortunately I have to bother you again. I bought a new touch screen for a new fruitbox project,
(Waveshare Raspberry Pi 10.1inch HDMI LCD 1024x600 Capacitive Touch Screen). Is detected by evtest and works perfectly with the PI, but unfortunately not with fruitbox. Touch is not recognized at all! Output from evtest

Cheers

Jürgen

Hey mamer999, you just created the 999th post in this topic 👍.

I'll take a look at the issue soon as I get the chance.

Cheers,
Mike

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”