arunraghu

Heat generation with raspbian and raspbian lite

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Hello,

I have used raspberry pi 3 B+ in my application where the raspberry pi will run as a data logging device from different sensors and the raspberry pi sometimes have to be installed in hot sun which may have to run it in such conditions continuously for a few days. On the software i have installed MySQL to save the data and some python scripts for receiving the data and some other stuff. When the raspberry pi is run in a room it gets hot enough that it cant be touched with bare hands. Is it ok to run the raspberry pi in hot sun for a few days or is installing a lite version of raspbian do any good for the raspberry pi in reducing the heat by reducing the load on the CPU? if not then can anyone suggest some ways to reduce the heat generation and run the raspberry pi.

topguy

Re: Heat generation with raspbian and raspbian lite

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:32 pm

You install a heatsink, that is how you effectivly reduce temperature on the CPU.

You could also just use "raspi-config" to set that it should not boot to the desktop and you should get almost the same effect as installing Raspbian Lite, but I would not expect a big change.

Andyroo

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Ummm cooked Pi :lol:

As well as a heat sink you can get cases with fans to improve convection cooling. Some of them have temperature control so they are not on all the time. Check with the suppliers in your country or Amazon / eBay.

You could also look at the Official PoE HAT as that has a fan and use that to power the Pi if you have the correct switch or injector...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

rpiMike

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 pm

You might also want to check you haven’t got any intensive loops in your code.

What is your CPU utilisation?

Imperf3kt

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 pm

topguy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:32 pm
You install a heatsink
If in direct sunlight, this might have the opposite effect, instead of dissipating heat into the air, it could absorb heat from the sun and cook the Pi even hotter.

Place a cover over the Pi, so it is in shade. If it is doing something that requires direct sunlight, Put the Pi in some shade and put the sensors in the sunlight, assuming they're rated to handle it
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Beginners”