By googling for hackable devices I found an interesting software hack that allow you to use a digital photo frame based on a Sintronix st2205u chipset as a usb LCD screen (1,5 inch, 128*128 pixels, with colors).
This kind of digital photo frame cost about 5$ (and sometimes with free shipping !).
Won't it be a perfect mini-display for a 25$ computer ?
note : I THINK that this hack will be compatible with the raspberry pi but I can't ga
uantee anything ! (it's opensource so we will be able to recompile software).
It's quite simple because it's a software hack : you don't need to open the device.
The hack consists in changing the firmware of the device with an usb connection to a computer running linux .
After changing the firmware it is possible to run lcd4linux : a program that displays information about computer system, or to run mplayer and display video on the DPF. It is even possible to use the DPF as linux terminal (with a computer and a keyboard of course).
So, how to transform a 5$ DPF into a 1,5" display ?
Here are the links I gathered :
- The main tutorial : http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,2435
- The hacker's (Sprite, thanks to him) website : http://spritesmods.com/?art=picframe
- The site of the Pictframe project :
- http://neophob.com/2009/01/pho.....libst2205/ (the tool for flashing a new firmware)
- lcd4linux : http://ssl.bulix.org/projects/lcd4linux/
- how to use a hacked DPF as a terminal : http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/.....5term.html I love this page, thanks to the author(s) !
Thanks to NoshBar for his links, he got midnight commander and doom working on this kind of screen (using a biffer board)!
- midnight commander : http://noshbar.xtreemhost.com/.....index.html
- doom : http://noshbar.xtreemhost.com/.....index.html
Before buying anything make sure that st2205u chipset is present : if a DPF is plug and play (and so act like an usb key) there will be another chipset in , wich will not alllow hacks so you will need a 1,5 digital photo frame sold with a software CD.
I hope I haven't forgoten anything, I bought a compatible photo frame and i will receive it soon. I have a lot of projects with a raspberry pi + a photo frame : a webradio player, an alarmclock, a rss reader, ect...
ps: I'm looking for cheap( less that 40$) hackable devices.