Mrgerber95

Bare Necessities

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 am

Hello, looking into a raspberry pi project where the pi would be connected to WiFi but on the windows or Linux or whatever there would only be email, printer, music, and word processor. Didnt really know if this was feasible to restrict access to basically everything else and have these core things run well. Let me know your thoughts and maybe some things I would need to know to get started. Thank you!

-Marcus

B.Goode

Re: Bare Necessities

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Rather than starting from a supported Operating System such as Raspbian and then trying to restrict access, you could - if you had, or were prepared to acquire, the skills and knowledge - run a minimal Operating System such as Tiny Core Linux or DietPi and then add only the applications or tools that you want to have access to.

Of course, you would need to somehow disable the tools needed to enhance the system to freeze it at a particular stage of development.

Is this for a distraction-free authoring environment? Or a platform for online assessment? Knowing your intention might make focussed advice easier to provide.

PS: if you are using Raspberry Pi hardware you will not be running Microsoft Windows.

Mrgerber95

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm

It is a distraction free evironment. More so a way to purge technology from my life in a sense but still have some necessary things to function in a world driven by it.

Is Tiny Core Linux or DietPi easy to get into? I know the basics of programing and could find tutorials I'm sure online.

PhatFil

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 am

just get stuck in ;) if you hit snags that you cant browse your way out of come back and provide full details of the problem.

HawaiianPi

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:58 am

You could start with Raspbian Lite and only install the Raspberry Pi desktop and applications you need. You could even skip the full desktop and just install a window manager, file manager and panel for a basic GUI environment.

How restricted do you want "everything else" to be?
Is not having anything else installed enough?
Or do you need it so nothing else can be installed?
And are you going to be the only user of the system?

If you are the admin user on the system it would be quite difficult truly restrict anything. If someone else could manage the system they could create a user for you that has no admin privileges, so you could use the applications, but could not alter the OS or applications in any way.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Other projects”