Mtl_Biker

Lights are on, but nobody's home??

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Sorry, another newbie question...

If you shutdown the RPi from the graphical menu, do the red lights on the mb stay on? I used shutdown and then noticed that FIVE MINUTES LATER the lights were still on! I waited a bit longer but they didn't turn on. The keyboard and mouse didn't cause the display to come back on.

Is that properly shut down? Do the lights stay on as long as there's power to the board? How long does it take to be sure the computer is shut down?

In any case, after about 7 minutes I finally removed the power connection and pulled out the uSD card to make a backup of it. Before I screw up this computer any more than I already have.

gordon77

Re: Lights are on, but nobody's home??

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:35 pm

The red led will be on as long as the 5v supply is connected, even if shutdown.

The green led will flash 10 times during shutdown and then off.

Mtl_Biker

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you.

Green led? I'm going to have to take the cover off to see. I hadn't noticed a green led. But peaking through a little slot between the cover and case, I saw two red leds.

Imperf3kt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:42 pm

There is one green and one red LED (only a single green LED on 0 models)
You will not be able to tell by looking - when off they look identical.

The green LED flashes whenever there is SD card activity, the red LED indicates power available and should never flash, if it does it indicates a low power situation that needs rectifying.

When in a case, this might appear as yellow or amber due to the red and green mixing.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Burngate

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 am

Mtl_Biker wrote:
... But peaking through a little slot between the cover and case, I saw two red leds.
Since the green LED would be off after shut-down, my guess would be that the second red one was a reflection.

Mtl_Biker

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Burngate wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:
... But peaking through a little slot between the cover and case, I saw two red leds.
Since the green LED would be off after shut-down, my guess would be that the second red one was a reflection.
You are exactly right! This morning I popped off the cover of the case so I could see the motherboard clearly. Only one red led. Put the cover back on and squinted in through a gap and it absolutely looks like there are two.

Andyroo

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Mtl_Biker wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:28 pm
Burngate wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:
You are exactly right! This morning I popped off the cover of the case so I could see the motherboard clearly. Only one red led. Put the cover back on and squinted in through a gap and it absolutely looks like there are two.
Maybe take more water with the Pi in future :lol: :?: :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Return to “Beginners”