gobstopper

TV Hat - multiple channels?

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:17 am

Please excuse what may seem to be a very rudimentary question - but if I were to build a TVHeadend set-up using a Pi/TVHat combination would this only support streaming of a single TV channel? (e.g one device streaming BBC1 and another ITV?)

I like the idea of setting one up as a little project and the TV Hat is a great idea. But I would ideally like to have the capacity to be able to provide access to more than one channel and/or the capacity to watch one channel & record another at the same time.

I suspect this would require multiple tuners - if so what would be the most cost effective implementation?

fruitoftheloom

Re: TV Hat - multiple channels?

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am

gobstopper wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:17 am
Please excuse what may seem to be a very rudimentary question - but if I were to build a TVHeadend set-up using a Pi/TVHat combination would this only support streaming of a single TV channel? (e.g one device streaming BBC1 and another ITV?)

I like the idea of setting one up as a little project and the TV Hat is a great idea. But I would ideally like to have the capacity to be able to provide access to more than one channel and/or the capacity to watch one channel & record another at the same time.

I suspect this would require multiple tuners - if so what would be the most cost effective implementation?

Need a Dual Tuner, whether or not supported under Linux ARMHF ?

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/product ... ualhd.html

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... nTV-dualHD
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

rpdom

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:18 am

I don't know if the HAT supports it, but I have used tuners on PCs that could record/watch more than one channel at a time - as long as those channels are on the same multiplex (eg. BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time). The broadcast signal contains more than one channel on the same frequency and it is usually up to the software to split out the required channel(s).

When I did it I was using a PC with four cheap DVB-T cards and MythTV. I could record/watch up to 24 channels at the same time. That was several years ago.

piglet

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 am

rpdom wrote:
I could record/watch up to 24 channels at the same time. That was several years ago.
What sort of spider are you? I thought most "only" had eight eyes. 3 channels per eye?

rpdom

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:28 am

piglet wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 am
rpdom wrote:
I could record/watch up to 24 channels at the same time. That was several years ago.
What sort of spider are you? I thought most "only" had eight eyes. 3 channels per eye?
Not a spider, but we currently have around 30 of them :)

I made a deal with my wife. Every time she bought a new spider I was allowed to buy a new Pi. Currently the spiders are winning :(

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 am

Yes, the TV Hat does support receiving multiple channels from the same mux simultaneously.

What does that mean? Digital TV broadcasts many channels on each frequency, termed a mux or multiplex. See https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Sandy_Heath or the equivalent for your local transmitter to see what is bundled together.
The TV Hat can tune in to one frequency/mux at a time, but can decode multiple channels from that.

If you want multiple muxes simultaneously, then you need multiple tuners. I have a couple of Hauppague WinTV-dualHD tuners that work quite nicely under Linux 4.19.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

drgeoff

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm

The standard definition versions of BBC1 and ITV are on different muxes so would need two TV HATs. The HD versions are on the same mux so one TV HAT should suffice.

For full details of what is on each mux see https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”