paulsiu

Any one having problems with printing laterly

Fri May 24, 2019 11:30 pm

I have been using a Raspberry PI for a printer server for about 2 years now. The PI has been hooked up to a Brothers HL-2240D laser printer. I had use CUPS and the hpijs drivers.

One day, the server stopped working and the files were corrupted. I had image backup the sdcard using AOMEI backupper, but surprisingly, the restore sdcard didn't boot, so I had to download Raspbian NOOB and recreate the server. This time around, I can't get printing to work. I install CUPS and HPIJS and then proceeded to add the printer, which worked fine until I print a test page. Now I get get a filter error. I looked in /var/logs/cups/error_log, but the message were not helpful even when I up the debug level to the max. All it said was that it can't get a page count when it's printing.

I had looked online and there were some messages talking about about hpijs not working any more. Is there an issue with the latest raspian and printing from CUPS?

Paul

paulsiu

Re: Any one having problems with printing laterly

Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am

So the issue does appear to be related to the release. When I downloaded Jessie and tried to install the print driver, it worked just fine. I think there are probably issues with Stretch, CUPS and the hpijs driver.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am

paulsiu wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am
So the issue does appear to be related to the release. When I downloaded Jessie and tried to install the print driver, it worked just fine. I think there are probably issues with Stretch, CUPS and the hpijs driver.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/pri ... iver-hpijs

It states that hplip is an advisable install !

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install system-config-printer printer-driver-hpijs hplip 
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

paulsiu

Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks, I believe I did try that and it didn't seemed to work. Maybe the packages have to be installed in a particular order? I suppose Jessie work well enough for now. My only concern would be security patching, so I may try stretch again later.

Paul

Return to “Troubleshooting”