Metonics

Mini Melbourne for Minecraft

Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am

The city of Melbourne has created a virtual mini Melbourne that runs under Minecraft:
https://metrotunnel.vic.gov.au/about-th ... -minecraft

downloads are here:
http://fuse.education.vic.gov.au/pages/ ... eminecraft

I am not a Minecraft user but would like to hear from anyone who has tried this on the raspberry Pi

I downloaded the files but it did not seem to show the Melbourne City database

fruitoftheloom

Re: Mini Melbourne for Minecraft

Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 am

Metonics wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am
The city of Melbourne has created a virtual mini Melbourne that runs under Minecraft:
https://metrotunnel.vic.gov.au/about-th ... -minecraft

downloads are here:
http://fuse.education.vic.gov.au/pages/ ... eminecraft

I am not a Minecraft user but would like to hear from anyone who has tried this on the raspberry Pi

I downloaded the files but it did not seem to show the Melbourne City database

By default the version of Minecraft included with Raspbian Operating System is based of the Pocket Edition, not the full fat Microsoft version !
Retired disgracefully.....

Metonics

Fri May 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Does that explain why it does not work on raspberry pi?

I can load minecraft and point to the mini melbourne world but nothing seems to appear

Is it possible to get the full version of minecraft so this would run?

rpiMike

Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 pm

It is possible, however it does push the Pi to its limits and you have to reduce view distance to its lowest setting. Maybe not ideal for viewing a city. You would also need to buy a licence if you haven’t already got one.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=186547

EduElfie

Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi there, I am one of the team that created this, and I hold all the development world files. I am more than happy to try and help convert Mini Melbourne from one of the versions I have into a PE world file format that may work on the Pi.

If you would like me to explore this, please grab a Pi world for me, so I can look at the 'insides' of it, and see how I could go about converting from what I currently have.

Thanks.

DaveyDave1999

Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 am

EduElfie wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 pm
Hi there, I am one of the team that created this, and I hold all the development world files. I am more than happy to try and help convert Mini Melbourne from one of the versions I have into a PE world file format that may work on the Pi.

If you would like me to explore this, please grab a Pi world for me, so I can look at the 'insides' of it, and see how I could go about converting from what I currently have.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums!
Heres the file you requested:
https://mega.nz/#!sagUTQIT!HPs5schrtntj ... W9Z6cJ7-rg

...And heres how it looks! :mrgreen:

Have fun!
Blog about Raspberries coming soon...

HawaiianPi

Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 am

Metonics wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:02 pm
Is it possible to get the full version of minecraft so this would run?
Actually, it's not possible in this case. The Java Edition download is for version 1.14.1 (or later) and the Pi can only run up to 1.12.2, so unless they release a version compatible with 1.12.2 or earlier, or for Minecraft Pi Edition (which has a limited block pallet and would not look as good), you'll need something more than a Pi to view this (and considering how resource hungry 1.14.2 is, a gaming PC to actually play in it).

I did load the world in the current Java Edition version 1.14.2 on my gaming laptop, and it's pretty impressive. I've never visited Melbourne myself, so I can't say how accurate it is, but it's a very nice build with loads to explore.

Here's a screenshot (open in new tab for full size).
MiniMelborne_JE1142.jpg
MiniMelborne_JE1142.jpg (249.21 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

Building this world in Minecraft Pi Edition would be a challenge with the much more limited block pallet. And even if there was a 1.12.2 world download, viewing it at render distance 2 would not be ideal (screenshot above is render distance 32).
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

EduElfie

Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 am

DaveyDave1999 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums!
Heres the file you requested:
https://mega.nz/#!sagUTQIT!HPs5schrtntj ... W9Z6cJ7-rg

...And heres how it looks! :mrgreen:

Have fun!
Thanks for that, and the nice welcome! I am looking into it now, and with the world you sent, I have some ideas and possible trials to run. However, there will be serious limitations.

From what I can tell, Pi edition is based on, at the latest, PE 0.8.1 which only has limited worlds. Which means, that you can have up to about 1/3rd of the current city in any given world. Second to this, it is limited to 128 blocks high, which for the most part wont be too serious an issue, but will chop off the tops of a few of the higher buildings in the city. I believe it will also lose a lot of the block palette because the blocks used to create the world just don't exist in this version.

Here are my proposed solutions (still IF I can find a tool to convert what I have to a suitable file structure) I have the 'original' stone structure that was the start of this world from the 3D data import. If I can split this into reasonable sizes that fit within the limited world size, and then convert, you can have the basic structure of the current build.

If I can succeed at that, I will also attempt the same with the current public version, and see how many blocks get lost in the conversion.

Don't hold your breathe, this is going to take me some time, and from my searching nobody has shared a successful path for converting worlds backwards this far. Doesn't necessarily mean we cannot do it, just means it is going to be a lot of trial and error to see if we can even get a process started.

EduElfie

Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 am

Actually, it's not possible in this case. The Java Edition download is for version 1.14.1 (or later) and the Pi can only run up to 1.12.2, so unless they release a version compatible with 1.12.2 or earlier, or for Minecraft Pi Edition (which has a limited block pallet and would not look as good), you'll need something more than a Pi to view this (and considering how resource hungry 1.14.2 is, a gaming PC to actually play in it).

I did load the world in the current Java Edition version 1.14.2 on my gaming laptop, and it's pretty impressive. I've never visited Melbourne myself, so I can't say how accurate it is, but it's a very nice build with loads to explore.

Here's a screenshot (open in new tab for full size).
MiniMelborne_JE1142.jpg

Building this world in Minecraft Pi Edition would be a challenge with the much more limited block pallet. And even if there was a 1.12.2 world download, viewing it at render distance 2 would not be ideal (screenshot above is render distance 32).
If you are interested I do have it in 1.12.2 because I use it to make my renders, and had to start there for conversion up to 1.14 anyway, but the lack of dolphins mean I cannot make it a public release, only for testing purposes in this case. Let me know!

HawaiianPi

Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 am

EduElfie wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 am
If you are interested I do have it in 1.12.2 because I use it to make my renders, and had to start there for conversion up to 1.14 anyway, but the lack of dolphins mean I cannot make it a public release, only for testing purposes in this case. Let me know!
It is possible to get the full Java Edition version 1.12.2 running on a Raspberry Pi 2B, 3B or 3B+ model, but only at render distance 2. So a 1.12.2 world download would let people experience it on a Pi (assuming they own Java Edition). Render distance 2 isn't ideal for sightseeing, but at least Java Edition 1.12.2 doesn't have the world size and block pallet limitations of Minecraft Pi Edition.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DaveyDave1999

Thu May 30, 2019 12:50 am

EduElfie wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 am
Pi edition is based on, at the latest, PE 0.8.1 which only has limited worlds.
Its based off MCPE 0.6.1 :mrgreen:
Blog about Raspberries coming soon...

Return to “Gaming”