blackmagicman
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 1:54 am

Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 am

I recently purchased a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. The camera has no way to output full 4K 60fps footage to an external monitor (the monitor needs an HDMI input). The camera has a USB-C port, but it is not thunderbolt and thus the monitor can't accept it as an input. My only option at this point is to use a CFAST memory card in the camera's memory card slot, which is a poor solution compared to recording directly to my monitor.

Here's my theory. The camera has a CFast port, which I can convert to an eSATA port and input into a raspberry pi. I am wondering if I could use a raspberry pi to receive the video data input from the CFast port over eSATA, convert that video data to an HDMI output, and stream that to an HDMI port, which I could then hook to my monitor.

First question: Am I crazy? I am a bit of a nerd, but my knowledge of raspberry pi is a bit limited, so maybe this is impossible.

Second question: If it is possible, can anyone offer me some guidance on how I might go about doing this?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19815
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Thu May 23, 2019 4:23 am

blackmagicman wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:05 am
I recently purchased a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. The camera has no way to output full 4K 60fps footage to an external monitor (the monitor needs an HDMI input). The camera has a USB-C port, but it is not thunderbolt and thus the monitor can't accept it as an input. My only option at this point is to use a CFAST memory card in the camera's memory card slot, which is a poor solution compared to recording directly to my monitor.

Here's my theory. The camera has a CFast port, which I can convert to an eSATA port and input into a raspberry pi. I am wondering if I could use a raspberry pi to receive the video data input from the CFast port over eSATA, convert that video data to an HDMI output, and stream that to an HDMI port, which I could then hook to my monitor.

First question: Am I crazy? I am a bit of a nerd, but my knowledge of raspberry pi is a bit limited, so maybe this is impossible.

Second question: If it is possible, can anyone offer me some guidance on how I might go about doing this?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... s/W-CIN-12

According to the specification it has HDMI Type A Output so you could "attempt" to feed that into a Raspberry Pi ???

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=238826

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2410
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm

You say the camera has a USB-C port, so why not use a usb-c to Hdmi adaptor?
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

blackmagicman
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 1:54 am

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Sun May 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, guys. Sorry for my slow reply, I didn't have notifications turned on. :roll:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:23 am

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... s/W-CIN-12

According to the specification it has HDMI Type A Output so you could "attempt" to feed that into a Raspberry Pi ???

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=238826

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702
The HDMI port is not the right generation port to output full resolution. This port will only support 1080p footage (not 4K), which is insufficient for our needs.
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm
You say the camera has a USB-C port, so why not use a usb-c to Hdmi adaptor?
The USB-C won't output an actual video feed, it will only write to a drive because the USB-C port isn't a thunderbolt port. Since it's not thunderbolt (according to what I've read) that means it doesn't have the speed to output a live feed to the monitor. I have tried that though. It didn't work. ;)

This is why I thought of the CFAST port which I believe has a throughput sufficient for a live feed if I can convert the data coming out of it.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19815
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 pm

blackmagicman wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:40 pm
Thank you for your thoughts, guys. Sorry for my slow reply, I didn't have notifications turned on. :roll:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:23 am

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... s/W-CIN-12

According to the specification it has HDMI Type A Output so you could "attempt" to feed that into a Raspberry Pi ???

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=238826

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702
The HDMI port is not the right generation port to output full resolution. This port will only support 1080p footage (not 4K), which is insufficient for our needs.
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm
You say the camera has a USB-C port, so why not use a usb-c to Hdmi adaptor?
The USB-C won't output an actual video feed, it will only write to a drive because the USB-C port isn't a thunderbolt port. Since it's not thunderbolt (according to what I've read) that means it doesn't have the speed to output a live feed to the monitor. I have tried that though. It didn't work. ;)

This is why I thought of the CFAST port which I believe has a throughput sufficient for a live feed if I can convert the data coming out of it.

The Raspberry Pi SBC is HDMi 1080p output, so your holy grail of 4k is not feasible.

The Raspberry Pi does not have an esata input either, and USB is likely be to slow for your purposes.

The Raspberry Pi SBC is good but there are times you have to realise that a different product is suitable...
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

blackmagicman
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 1:54 am

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Sun May 26, 2019 10:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 pm
The Raspberry Pi SBC is good but there are times you have to realize that a different product is suitable...
Thank you for your reply. Any recommendations you might have would be appreciated.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19815
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Mon May 27, 2019 4:05 am

blackmagicman wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:22 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 pm
The Raspberry Pi SBC is good but there are times you have to realize that a different product is suitable...
Thank you for your reply. Any recommendations you might have would be appreciated.

We do not discuss alternative products here, obviously, but for quality and support:

https://www.hardkernel.com/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

blackmagicman
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 1:54 am

Re: Convert Video Input over SATA to HDMI via Raspberry Pi

Mon May 27, 2019 4:07 am

Of course, thanks for the direction though.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”