ScotM

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:41 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:54 pm
Hi Mike,

that's good news. I searched the internet back and forth - and also found those at several sources. But I hesitated to buy them as no seller tells that one could modify /insert labels.

So I will get me some and then label the "clickies".

Cheers
Raimund
Clicking on the link brought me to the latching version of those switches. I believe you want the Momentary NON latching type. Yes?

shhammer5634

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:44 pm

ScotM wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:41 pm
rpt007 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:54 pm
Hi Mike,

that's good news. I searched the internet back and forth - and also found those at several sources. But I hesitated to buy them as no seller tells that one could modify /insert labels.

So I will get me some and then label the "clickies".

Cheers
Raimund
Clicking on the link brought me to the latching version of those switches. I believe you want the Momentary NON latching type. Yes?
That would be correct...

rpt007

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm

That's right Steve,
I ordered the momentary switches - had them on my radar for a while and rushed through dozens of different sources - looking all the same, only difference was the pricing ...

But nobody described that one could disassemble and then label them individually. So I hope the ones which I ordered will be of that kind.

Cheers
Raimund

Radio 55

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi I don't know if I am doing something wrong I can't seem to get this version to play any music out side the GUI on auto start up all the buttons work but will not play. It works fine in the GUI

RainbowJuke

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi Raimund
The clicky switches are easy to strip for adding numbers and words to the button, see photo, a knife blade under the button will lift off the clear cover. The insert in the button can be removed by inserting the knife blade at the ends, this will release the opaque insert where you can stick on a vinyl letter or word. Further examples for connecting switches and wireless/ usb numeric keypads can be seen on pages 22, 23 and 25.

This is a great piece of software very versatile. Thanks to Mike
Attachments
Clickies1.jpg
Clickies1.jpg (158.03 KiB) Viewed 4340 times

rpt007

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi RainbowJuke (what a name!),

thanks for this very helpful illustration. Hope, my clickies will arrive pretty soon so I can jump on my next Fruitbox project.
Yes, I join you in thanking Mike so much as this wonderful piece of software helped me to get my Wurlitzer alive again.

Cheers
Raimund

OklahomaGreyBeard

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:06 am

Well, it's been a while but I promise I didn't fall off the face of the earth. Just a little 12 hour surgery and 8 months of chemo to kick colon cancers ass, and now I'm back. Something like that really helps you put your priorities straight. Like working on your classic video game collection and finishing that damn jukebox... Glad to see this is still being developed.

The Other Mike....

fruitbox

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:24 am

Hi Mike

Great to hear from you again. So sorry to hear you've had a rough time, but sounds like you're on the mend.

We wish you all the best for your long term recovery, and look forward to your contributions again :)

Cheers
Mike

Amiro

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:08 am

I have the same ones and no problem to insert labels.
Used cad to create a sheet with all the labels needed and more , cut and perfect.
rpt007 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm
Hi RainbowJuke (what a name!),

thanks for this very helpful illustration. Hope, my clickies will arrive pretty soon so I can jump on my next Fruitbox project.
Yes, I join you in thanking Mike so much as this wonderful piece of software helped me to get my Wurlitzer alive again.

Cheers
Raimund

Amiro

Sat May 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi Mike, great program by the way and I will make a donation for the great work you have done.
I’m very new at Python and rasberry Pi but learning!!! I started to learn PC back early 80”s on Commodore Pet with Basic language!!! LOL My first computer was a Timex Sinclair run by cassette tape!!! I recently discover those Rasberry Pi and decided to give it a try, was for a gaming console using Retropie. Since they sent me the wrong one Rasberry Pi 3 instead of the 3 B+ that I ordered I kept it and discovered your Jukebox program and started to build a box for it.
I finally have almost everything setup on the software (Not without a few frustration!! LOL) since I’m a newbie at this. I discovered how to make executable files and that works great for me, dont have to re-type the command lines, shortcuts!!!
Have them for starting Jukebox, Test Buttons, Config Buttons, Remove fruitbox.db, but I was going to try
the —choose.cfg function, I was reading the guide and talks about adding the file location i suppose you can setup what skins you want to select from.
My exec file is started like this:

cd /home/pi/rip-fruitbox-master
sudo ./fruitbox —choose-cfg
????

I tried different way to input the skins file but no success , so how to put in the skins I want to to choose from?
The fruitbox.db once created is it used by all the skins or it has to be redone for every skins? Since the amount of music for each page is different in each skins.
Thanks,
Mario

Amiro

Sat May 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Mike,
Sorry last post but my stubbornness kicked in!!

I manage to see the skins.txt file and fixed it to my liking and saved

Fixed my Executable file as:

sudo ./fruitbox —choose-cfg skins.txt

Works fine now!!! And I seen also that the fruitbox.db is fine with all the skins once created!!

Now to finish my box the SD card is ready to go !!

When I finish my Jukebox what size of file can be posted on the forum?

Thanks,
Mario

fruitbox

Sun May 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Amiro wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:39 pm
Hi Mike,
Sorry last post but my stubbornness kicked in!!

I manage to see the skins.txt file and fixed it to my liking and saved

Fixed my Executable file as:

sudo ./fruitbox —choose-cfg skins.txt

Works fine now!!! And I seen also that the fruitbox.db is fine with all the skins once created!!

Now to finish my box the SD card is ready to go !!

When I finish my Jukebox what size of file can be posted on the forum?

Thanks,
Mario
Hi Mario,

Glad it's working for you now.

To answer one of your questions, as you've probably already discovered, each skin can use the same database; fruitbox will load the database and sort and display it according to the skin settings.

If you prefer, each skin can use a different database if you want a different set of songs on each skin; you just need to specify unique Database and MusicPath values in each skin file (i.e. in the WallJuke fruitbox.cfg file you could have Database = WallJuke.db for example).

Furthermore, if you want different sets of songs for the same skin, you can have multiple cfg files in that particular skins folder, with each cfg file using a different database (i.e. WallJuke/sixties.cfg, WallJuke/seventies.cfg, etc...you don't have to name the cfg files fruitbox.cfg). To choose between these, just add all the cfg files to the skins.txt file for the skin chooser.

Cheers,
Mike

Amiro

Tue May 07, 2019 1:41 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, it make sense!! I only got one more thing to program is the USB stick mount on boot up.
I think I will try to follow the instruction on page 34 3rd reply if this is ok to work!!
I did sent some to your Paypal I will again later on.
My wife can’t wait to see it finished!! LOL since this for her anyway.
I did notice that It was working ok from the USB stick when I Had rasbian boot first since it mounts the USB and Jukebox was running after that, thats when I realized that Jukebox boot first the USB was not mounted and no music was playing.
Hope it will be ok after I try the mount of the USB on boot up.
Anyway keep up The Good Work.
Mario

Amiro

Wed May 08, 2019 1:37 am

Amiro wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:41 am
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, it make sense!! I only got one more thing to program is the USB stick mount on boot up.
I think I will try to follow the instruction on page 34 3rd reply if this is ok to work!!
I did sent some to your Paypal I will again later on.
I did notice that It was working ok from the USB stick when I Had rasbian boot first since it mounts the USB and Jukebox was running after that, thats when I realized that Jukebox boot first the USB was not mounted and no music was playing.
Hope it will be ok after I try the mount of the USB on boot up.
Anyway keep up The Good Work.
Mario
I finally after 3 try was able to mount the USB stick so that Jukebox start on boot with the music, like they says “3rd time is the charm”
Now to finish my button panel and program them using the —config-buttons function, that works really well Mike!! A bit of cable management and finish the outside of the box!!
Will keep you posted and again Thanks!!

rpt007

Wed May 08, 2019 7:29 pm

@Amiro:

Great you get closer to the final.
Let's see the jukebox when it is ready to show on stage - just to make other wives a bit jealous about your work. :roll:
Raimund

Amiro

Sat May 11, 2019 8:47 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:29 pm
@Amiro:

Great you get closer to the final.
Let's see the jukebox when it is ready to show on stage - just to make other wives a bit jealous about your work. :roll:
Raimund
Will do!! LOL

bradsorph

Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Hello guys!
That's what I made with raspberry pi + Raspbian + fruitbox:

Video demo:
https://youtu.be/repnd_nEr0g

rpt007

Mon May 13, 2019 8:09 am

Congratiulation,
Molto carino, very nice - stata bravissima, well done :!: 8-)

rpt007

Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm

.. could you pls tell us, where you purchased the alphanumeric keys. They look very „jukebox authentic“.

Thair

Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Since today I have my test setup of fruitbox up and running and am very satisfied with this program. Now on to the definitive housing. However while playing songs I heard a strange sound every 30 seconds or so. It appeared to be the PageMove sound when the pages are changed automatically. Is it possible to suppress the PageMove sound while a song is played? If so, what must I do to accomplish that?

Greetings,

Theo.

fruitbox

Sun May 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Thair wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Since today I have my test setup of fruitbox up and running and am very satisfied with this program. Now on to the definitive housing. However while playing songs I heard a strange sound every 30 seconds or so. It appeared to be the PageMove sound when the pages are changed automatically. Is it possible to suppress the PageMove sound while a song is played? If so, what must I do to accomplish that?

Greetings,

Theo.
Hi Theo

You can suppress the PageMove sound by editing the skins config file, and removing or commenting out the PageMove parameter in the [sounds] section. This however will suppress the sound under all conditions, not just whilst the song is playing. There's no way to suppress the sound only when a song is playing.

Alternatively, you could turn off the pages changing automatically by commenting out the AutoPageTurnTime parameter in the [general] section, or set its value to zero.

Cheers
Mike

rpt007

Sun May 19, 2019 10:50 pm

In the .cfg file of your music database scroll down to
[sounds]
and change the value for PageMove to "0" with:

PageMove = 0 pagemove.wav

Cheers
Raimund

Thair

Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm

I already thought of the option to set the PageMove sound to 0 in the cfg file if there was no other solution. But I think I will opt for the possibility to set the AutoPageTurnTime to 0. That way I will not hear the sound while playing music but if someone pushes one of the page buttons themselves the sound is still audible.

Thanks for your help,

Theo.

CHRISARCADE

Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 pm

im having an issue with the install of fruitbox.il do the steps to install it,it opens up and runs it works.when i turn off the pi or reboot it,when i try to launch fruitbox it says command not found.can someone help m with this please ive been at it all da

rpt007

Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 am

To run a program in linux you have to call the copy from within the directory where the executable file was created.
Alternative::
1. create an autostart of fruitbox when booting the system ( there are detailled descriptions in this thread)
2. modify the path context of your login user, so you can start the program from ‚everywhere‘ within your raspbian

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”