Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi all, I'm Tim
I enjoy traveling and music

eunito

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 am

hi!
I'm Ricardo, from Portugal and I love IT in general!
I hope to learn from the community 😊

bleach128

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:45 am

Hello World, my name is Bill.

I 'cut my teeth' on vacuum tubes and relays. Started into the solid state world with the Raytheon CK-722 transistor and then the digital world in the '60. I have spent most of my life working with computers from Super-Mini's to controllers. My first 'personal computer' was a Heathkit H-8. Another of my very early 'personal computers' was a Digital Equipment Company (DEC) PDP-8 mini-computer, probably the longest lived commercial computer ever made. The PDP-8 has a fascinating history. DEC tried to discontinue the PDP-8 several times (especially after they introduced the famous VAX super-mini) but the customers almost revolted and demanded that DEC continue to produce it.

I worked in the commercial nuclear power industry for many years mainly involved in instrumentation and watched us move from pneumatic instruments to networked electronic systems. Did some design work with single board computers (that we designed) and custom interface hardware. Boy would a Raspberry Pi have made that work easy!

I don't consider myself to be much of a programmer but I have written code in machine code, assembler, and a few dozen other languages. Probably not pretty but it all worked.

And like another member that posted in this thread, I really liked the Zilog Z-80. Most of my early work though was with the Motorola 6800 family and then the 68000 series. The 6800 was a lot of fun because you could manually clock the chip.

Basically I don't do Windows and have pretty much been a Unix, Linux person. My first exposure to Linux was version 0.9 Slackware and quickly moved to Debian Buzz. That Raspberry Pi primarily uses Debian for their base is a big "plus" for me.

The Pi will probably mostly be something to tinker and play with though I do have a few 'practical' use ideas that I might pursue.

One thought that immediately comes to mind is that the Rasberry Pi is probably the very best choice for someone wanting to implement a IoT that is also concerned about security and privacy. The idea of allowing such as Amazon or Google to collect data from one's use of an IoT system is quite repugnant to me!

hosseinpink

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 am

I am Hossein.
doing My PhD at the University of Auckland. on IoT , automation and fog computing.
I am working on different scenarios to design an architecture for fog contained a number of raspberry Pis.
i hve many interests that will post them all n my topics.
hope we will enjoy this space.
cheers.

juga64

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:27 am

Hi! I am Juan and I love the Commodore 64, Python and now I am tinkering with the Raspberry Pi. Cheers!

SavinaRoja

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Hey there.

My name is Paul, though I also go by Pablo.

I've been coding for years, especially in Python, and am looking to share and learn new things.

wuffell

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi, I'm Wuffell. Confused engineer willing to learn :lol:

vinylsamsung

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi I'm new! A friend of mine was cleaning out his basement and just gave me all the things he didn't use anymore. I now have a pi but I don't know for sure which one, but it has a micron chip. I tried to make a picture of it my avatar but with the compression that's only going to be so helpful.

There was also a card that came with it, I think it has NOOBS on it? The packaging the card is in says element14 but I can't be absolutely sure it hasnt been used before. I got it to turn on twice, once with the NOOBS card but I wasnt sure what to do and when I just told it to use Raspbian it gave me a warning about wiping the entire thing so I decided to back away and to some research before messing around. The second time I got it running was with the card that had been actually used, I think it was some headless something and wanted a password so I backed off on that too. Since then I haven't gotten it to really run properly again? The first two times was over HDMI but since then it's been RCA so I suspect there's something I will have to do to make it default over there.

speaking of, since I've completely gone tangent anyways I might as well just be upfront with everything. I have never liked solid state storage, the write/erase issue has always bothered me. I read a bunch of things and now I'm afraid I know just enough to get me in trouble but not enough to actually get what I want. I've used TAILS for awhile now so I don't mind having a read only system that only goes read/write for updates and important things, but while I use TAILS I did not program TAILS so I have no idea how to get it to happen completely with Raspbian. I'm seeing things about being able to tell the system that it's read only, moving the tmp to RAM, now I'm also seeing something about zram? and that cache and tmp might not be the same thing so you have to move a lot of things to RAM? It's all so confusing for me. Like I said I've run TAILS for awhile and I've actually run several linux systems from flash drives so I am totally ready to only have a limited amount of RAM to be able to actually use, I am prepared to basically give up multitasking when using the pi, but I don't know how to set up the system in the first place.

I guess I'm here to read and learn and hopefully get something bootable?
Attachments
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (217.74 KiB) Viewed 4026 times

speedfixer

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 am

Hi

I am David.

At the start of my third career (1st: law, sort of - 2nd: real estate - 3rd: telecommunications) and first wife, I finally put my hardware/software lurking experience into a business of selling a complete accounting package I translated by hand into CP/M along with a beefy TRS80 clone. This evolved into custom programming - but only for extreme requests.

Since my now ex-wife wanted an unreasonable piece of my computer businesses, I quit all that. It took a few years to shed all my customers.
I concentrated on the telecommunications job (largest national telco) and also remarried.
LOVED the last 15+ years of that job. Basically an analyst, I only worked on problems no one else could fix AND only after my staff failed, others had failed 10 + times, or it was a request from someone high enough up that I didn't know their name, usually. West coast, mostly. I was supposed to be tech only (Fiber, T systems, network) but ... legal, hardware manufacturer defects, major account relations failures, policy, equipment purchase evaluation, internal systemic breakdowns, company screw-ups. (Since everyone had failed before it came to me - I couldn't lose!) At least, always something new. On call 24/7/365 - I would get calls from the Pentagon, or Getty Trust, Kaiser Health, or FAA at 2am and was expected to make someone happy somewhere. I taught some special test techniques across the country. Quit when upper management would not allow peers to get jobs out of our department as it was shrinking.

Retired now many years. I have a modest pc cluster in my garage. Using RPI to handle the security and camera system around the house. Having fun re-writing a few drivers.
I use FreeBASIC. It is a free BASIC compiler, very mature, easy to link to C, multi-platform. It produces VERY fast and small executables: near c speed. Friendly, helpful crowd at their forums.

Oh, I am a troublemaker and once I start I talk too much. Someone following somebodies 'rules' were usually what created my largest problems at work.
One can be very honest (I **always** am), never break the rules, not follow anyone's advice, and still fix the problem to everyone's satisfaction.

I look forward to learning about the PI, and perhaps extending the functionality a little bit.
If you don't try - you lose - a u t o m a t i c a l l y

fredericc38

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi all!!
Started couple of years ago to drive heating house system with my first RPi and own electronic development, still working. Can adjust and schedule working time and temperature by a web page. A little bit funny.
Now, managing my web and email server with another same old RPi and some another services.
Just buyed Pi 2 Type B and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + to migrate.
thanks!!!
Fred.

FLNATIVE

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to RPi. I'm jumping in (probably over my head) with both feet. I have a pretty ambitious project that I'm looking to implement and will probably be spending a lot of time here in the near future. I've been obsessed with computers and tech in general for as long as I can remember. I remember getting my first X-10 commander for home automation in the early 90's. I have since done some minor projects utilizing Hue lights, IFTTT, and Home Assistant. So nothing to fantastic. I have recently been doing a lot of research on RPi, Arduino, ESP8266, ESP32, Node Red, MQTT to name a few. I'm no stranger to tinkering with electronic circuits or some basic coding. My goal for the near future is to expand my knowledge and do more home automation with custom built hardware and software.

I'm looking for some advise on where to post for the above mentioned over my head project. It consist of 12 locations to monitor temperature and humidity, using RPi's as a custom built smart thermostat in 6 locations, the temp/humidity sensor will report back to one of the RPi's via MQTT. Would a project like this be best suited under Projects/Automation, sensing and robotics or Projects/Other?

Hanicef

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Hey, all! I'm a software developer with a bit of knowledge about hardware too, and I've been using my Raspberry Pi as a main computer after my old one broke. The primary reason being the price; I didn't have a lot of money to spend as I'm still studying, and because of that I needed something cheap. Since a Raspberry Pi is only 20€, I thought I'd buy one and give it a try. And for my usage, it does the job!

So, that's the short of it. Now I'm joining the Raspberry Pi forums to get in contact with people that also uses the Raspberry Pi for various reasons, and hopefully learn something from the community in the process.

danielfelix

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi, I'm Daniel, from Argentina. I approached Rasp since I am a user of a Rasp3 with Volumio, and there are many things to do in that environment, I hope not to tire them with my questions.

thangvc91

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:30 am

Hi all,
Nice to meet you all.
I'm Thang, from Vietnam. I have used Raspberry Pi recently . Hopefully , i could get more experience from here :)

officially4h

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Blogger this side.

AdamStanislav

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:18 pm

officially4h wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm
Blogger this side.
Sorry, what do you mean by this side?

Ierashu

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 am

Hi everybody, I'm Mason from Clifton..
Have one question: What is the difference between machine learning and artificial intelligence?

adamdevine78

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:15 am

Blogger and learner this side.

waleedpi3

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 am

Hello,
I am Waleed Ahmed (Computer Systems Engineer), recently done my bachelor's degree in C.S. I used Raspberry pi 3 in my Final year Univeristy project. I build a simple project, where a user can unlock his home door using facial recognition. There were several more features in the project like Users log, Email notification, IOT Home door controlling and GSM module for calling house owner.
I used python language for programming and i used Cv2 for facial recognition.
Right now, i want to contribute my part in this forum and i want to learn more from this forum.

Waleed Ahmed.

Moller18

Sun May 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi, I'm Molly. I'm in my way to writer and blogger. Marvel fan. Happy to be here.

Disabled and Bored

Mon May 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi all,

I am new here but had my Pi for a while. Mainly for use for 3d printing but interested in getting in to some projects with my Pi.

Hope your all having a great time.

- Steve

doriamauro

Fri May 10, 2019 12:10 pm

hello,
I'm Mauro from Italy.
I work in the IT and I like doing bricolage in my free time
I'm new and this is a world that fascinates me. I would like to understand and learn more

Emily_Simmons

Sun May 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi all, I'm Emily
I enjoy making the digital world closer to people. I like the technological innovations of the online shopping industry. The successful cases of virtual reality, drones for delivery, voice assistants, and crypto-payments in the e-business spheres show that our journey of purchasing goods could exceed our imagination.

simonov

Tue May 14, 2019 5:22 pm

There's a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ in my Amazon cart on which I will probably pull the trigger later this week. I am very comfortable with the forum/BBS format, so I decided to sign up here even before I had the module in hand.

The Raspberry Pi has been at the periphery of my awareness more or less since it was first introduced, but until now I have never really had any specific applications for it. But now that I'm already halfway through Eben Upton's Raspberry Pi User Guide I'm getting very excited by the potential I see for the device.

I got into computers long ago as a hobby, building my first PC, a Heathkit H100, because it was the cheapest way to get your hands on an IBM compatible. I never coded professionally, but I could make MS-DOS sing and dance with batch files and the ANSI.SYS driver, and impressed everyone around me with my leet skillz until Windows made them obsolete. Still, I was always fascinated by Unix (on which MS-DOS was superficially based, via CP/M), and while I was able to spend a little time with an AT&T 3B2 running Unix System V we had in the office of my first technology-related job, I never did get a chance to run my own Unix-based system, which wasn't really very practical for casual hobbyists until the Red Hat Linux distribution appeared (I did have a netcom.com shell account for a while in the mid-1990s). I remember buying a second hand PC about 20 years ago to host Red Hat, and over the years I swore I would load Debian or Ubuntu onto obsolete Windows laptops, but it just never happened.

So now for the first time I'll have a Unix system of my own. That's exciting.

After my first career choice, pre-press production, was mostly eliminated by computers, I spent the next fifteen years in high tech sales and marketing, and since retiring from that I've been designing and manufacturing gun parts. But I've never quite given up on coding, having played around over the years with Turbo Pascal, Perl, PHP and now Python. I made my first web page in early 1995.

I already have a few projects in mind for the Raspberry Pi. One of them is rather ambitious and I hope to secure the assistance of one or more experienced partners here in Reno. The others could probably be accomplished with an Arduino, but thinking it over I decided I was more comfortable with programming an actual computer rather than a controller; I don't mind the cost difference in dollars or physical real estate (and gosh it will be fun to noodle around with Linux).

I'm also very interested in working with teenagers, preparing them for the adult world. I used to run a monthly hiking program for teens and had always thought about ways to get them more involved in STEM and manual arts (although I don't have a STEM background myself). Our local community college has summer programs for teens and as I get more involved with the Raspberry Pi I wonder whether I'll be able to make a contribution there.

- Mitch in Reno
Nunc est bibendum

DivM

Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi,

I'm Stas from Ukraine.
Waiting for my new Raspberry Pi in the coming days.
Will definitely need your help guys :) Happy to be a part of the community!

Return to “General discussion”