Will5455

3d printer

Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm

I am looking for a good 3d printer for $200-$250. Don't really need any fancy stuff just something who can print robot parts
I do strange things and am sometimes the techhead stereotype.
deal with it!

scruss

Re: 3d printer

Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 pm

I think you're describing the Creality Ender-3 here. There are better printers, but they cost a lot more money. A small amount of assembly is required. If I have anything to complain about with the Ender-3:
  • it's fairly noisy;
  • the stock plastic extruder gear is not great. Changing filament is more difficult than it needs to be, and the plastic eventually wears out.
My first 3D printer was from a kickstarter not too far from you: the Reach 3D out of Springfield, MO. While it wasn't the greatest printer, I did learn a lot from it, and now I work for a 3d printing-related nonprofit.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Will5455

Sat May 04, 2019 9:06 pm

what is wrong with the extruder? is there something in particular I should look out for?
deal with it!

scruss

Sat May 04, 2019 9:58 pm

It's just got a weird little lever on it that makes filament swaps harder than they should be. I made a little thing - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3329987 - that holds the extruder open to make this easier. Some people have also worn their extruders through, but that would take a lot of printing.

I got tired of it and bought a cheap metal upgrade (this one: HICTOP Upgraded Replacement Aluminum MK8 Extruder Drive Feed for about $12) and it's been fine ever since.

Apart from that, it's a great printer. Might not be the best choice if you've never used a 3D printer before or don't like assembling things, but it's very good for the price.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Will5455

Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

never done 3d printing but do enjoy puting things together
deal with it!

Return to “Off topic discussion”