jarodevil

Kodi 18 - Free VPN

Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi,
how can I install a free VPN on my Kodi 18?

Thank you,

fruitoftheloom

Re: Kodi 18 - Free VPN

Sat May 04, 2019 6:32 pm

jarodevil wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm
Hi,
how can I install a free VPN on my Kodi 18?

Thank you,

Depends on how you installed Kodi Multimedia Software, but only official addons can be discussed in this forum:

https://kodi.tv/addons/
Retired disgracefully.....

DarrenHill

Tue May 07, 2019 6:49 am

Kodi doesn't need a VPN to work, at least for the kind of usage that it's designed for.

And anyone stupid enough to think a "free" VPN provides any kind of safety or security should stop and think quite how their connect is funded. If you're not paying for it by cash then you're paying for it some other way, usually with your data, connection and site visit habits. All of those are logged by the VPN provider, and often available for sale to fund the "free" access.

In any case, Kodi is just a media player, you don't install stuff like VPNs on it, any more than you'd install a VPN on Chrome or MS Word...

default_user8

Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm

DarrenHill wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:49 am
Kodi doesn't need a VPN to work, at least for the kind of usage that it's designed for.

And anyone stupid enough to think a "free" VPN provides any kind of safety or security should stop and think quite how their connect is funded. If you're not paying for it by cash then you're paying for it some other way, usually with your data, connection and site visit habits. All of those are logged by the VPN provider, and often available for sale to fund the "free" access.

In any case, Kodi is just a media player, you don't install stuff like VPNs on it, any more than you'd install a VPN on Chrome or MS Word...
Technically speaking you do “install” the openvpn manager add on in kodi, but that isn’t and official kodi addon.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

DarrenHill

Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am

The manager is installed in Kodi but the actual openVPN executable which it controls and sets up isn't, that's installed in the OS underneath. You can quite happily use it directly without the manager add-on via a shell or terminal if you want to, the manager just makes it easier within the GUI.

But that's probably getting a bit pedantic...

PS for full disclosure I know in detail the Team Kodi stance on VPNs - I wrote the policy ;)

default_user8

Thu May 09, 2019 4:20 pm

DarrenHill wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am
The manager is installed in Kodi but the actual openVPN executable which it controls and sets up isn't, that's installed in the OS underneath. You can quite happily use it directly without the manager add-on via a shell or terminal if you want to, the manager just makes it easier within the GUI.

But that's probably getting a bit pedantic...

PS for full disclosure I know in detail the Team Kodi stance on VPNs - I wrote the policy ;)
Kodi is an awesome piece of code, it's amazing how well it works. Sometimes better than the code others write for their own media systems.(cough Plex cough) haha.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

parker55

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm

How does kodi work .. I mostly watch movies on online streaming sites but sometimes hard to find working link for movies.. should I try kodi I am not aware with it..

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:23 pm

parker55 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm
How does kodi work .. I mostly watch movies on online streaming sites but sometimes hard to find working link for movies.. should I try kodi I am not aware with it..

https://kodi.tv/about/software

https://libreelec.tv/about/
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Media centres”