diyinius2

New Mobile OS made from scratch on a Raspberry Pi

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:22 pm

We have been working on a new mobile OS (which also has a desktop mode) for a while now. We decided that Raspberry Pi was the best platform to build on because of all the amazing things the Foundation has been able to accomplish on all this time.

Like I said, the OS is made from scratch on a Raspberry Pi, we did this in order to force ourselves to make things as efficient as possible. Doing cross-platform builds can save time, but it may also cause to loose perspective on speed capabilities. As a side note, in case someone asks, the OS doesn't run on X11 or Wayland, this should give you an idea about how much we are saving on overhead... I mean, this fella runs nicely on a Pi Zero! ;) We'll be writing an article about this.

We're starting to write articles, take pictures, screenshots, and videos, as we're preparing to launch. Our first article is on Medium: https://medium.com/@diyinius/we-couldnt ... 2368c3811e, here we describe one of our main drivers for doing this. If you could take a look, share your opinions and maybe give us a clap that would be awesome.

We also created a GoFundMe campaign to help speed up wrapping up the 1st release, so any support you could give would be highly appreciated: https://www.gofundme.com/diyinius-alter ... nd-devices.

We will be posting updates on Twitter (https://twitter.com/diyinius) as we make progress, if you can follow us there it would be a great boost to our morale.

We really think Raspberry Pi is the platform of the future, we hope our OS brings in a modern alternative to the options out there, one that can demonstrate all the things that the Raspberrys are capable of, but few are aware of.

YouTube video added on April 28, 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N5N6tIac10 (more coming soon, subscribe to the channel if you can!)

Thanks!
Last edited by diyinius2 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveyDave1999

Re: New Mobile OS made from scratch on a Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Images from the post he linked:

Made from scratch? Impressive my dude. It already looks quite nice actually 8-) .

Just a tip tho.. I think this icon pack would suite your project better :)
https://www.iconfinder.com/iconsets/tango
Keep up the good work!
Blog about Raspberries coming soon...

diyinius2

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:21 am

DaveyDave1999 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Images from the post he linked:

Made from scratch? Impressive my dude. It already looks quite nice actually 8-) .

Just a tip tho.. I think this icon pack would suite your project better :)
https://www.iconfinder.com/iconsets/tango
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the tip DaveyDave1999! We'll definitely include this icon pack!

We made sure the OS is completely customizable BTW, from icons, to look and feel of controls... and unlike GNOME and (I guess) KDE, we built a simple UI around these customizations, if you want to change the default color of buttons for instance, you just select what color you want, and it's changed right away, on the fly, no need to reload or figure out the way the theme engine version you're using is supposed to work; to then go and edit a bunch of files and hope for the best that things won't break.

Thanks for posting the pictures here too!

We're working on a few more things to publish soon, at very least I'll post a couple screenshots of the GPIO App over the weekend. The GPIO App allows to easily see the current state of the GPIO pins as well as change their functionality, and easily do things like controlling servos (or any PWM thing in general), or reading temperature sensors, and stuff like that.

The other big one to publish soon is a video of a Raspberry with the official Touch Screen booting the OS and running a few of the Apps.

I wish I could publish these sooner, but there is a lot of testing and tweaking to do, things like deciding on the final control looks, the show/hide animations for notifications, etc. Which reminds me, we're also putting final touches on the Camera App's UI, where you can easily control things like brightness/contrast, exposure, ISO, shutter speed, picture effect, etc. And of course, take pictures and videos! (works with the Official Raspberry Cameras, we haven't tested with other sensors) So stay tuned!

Oh yeah, and last but not least, a quick preview of the "Builder" App is coming soon too alongside an article about "The Importance of Independent Apps".

DaveyDave1999

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Awesome. Looks promising, didnt know you could customise all of this!
Keep us updated :)
Blog about Raspberries coming soon...

hippy

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:53 pm

It all sounds quite good, and that it will run Android Apps is very appealing. But from, "To support our efforts we are making the OS available for pre-order soon", would I be correct in believing this will be a product one has to pay for ?

diyinius2

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 am

hippy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:53 pm
It all sounds quite good, and that it will run Android Apps is very appealing. But from, "To support our efforts we are making the OS available for pre-order soon", would I be correct in believing this will be a product one has to pay for ?
Hi hippy,

I know, running Android Apps without Android, in a super controlled way (read: under an iron fist ;) ), is something we have been wishing for and dreaming about for a long time...

And we don't know for sure yet in regards to having to pay for it, the idea is to have a sustained effort to guarantee the OS will be supported and anyone using it can feel assured they won't be left hanging as in the case of so many Android devices (and just to clarify, this isn't Android, it makes Android Apps believe they're running on Android... just like the Matrix makes humans believe they live in the real world)

So we've been thinking about options to support this effort, and any ideas are welcome... Maybe we'll try Patreon, or maybe just something like ask to watch an Ad? Which we're not a fan of because we really do HATE Ads. Or perhaps subscribe to a YouTube channel (you know just "follow" the channel)?

Please do let us know what you think!

On a separate topic, the new screenshots are coming... we had a few more tweaks to the main theme... We've also been working on an "Easter Egg" and making a video for it, you know in time for Easter, so a little late but it's almost ready. We hope you guys like "The Matrix" and hate, or at least find Windows discomforting :D

Cheers!

fanoush

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:29 am

diyinius2 wrote:
Make it open source. It may make harder to get money for it but I think nobody will bother with this if it is not opensource (Android is).

Check SailfishOS and Jolla. It is open source too. They charge for some extras for some closed parts and also for images for specific devices - see https://jolla.com/sailfishx/ - they sell Sailfish OS for Sony Xperia devices.

They are ex-Nokia guys and they have lot of experience, made perfect product with android compatibility too (it works, I had Jolla C developer device https://jolla.com/jollac/ and was amazed how android apps work considering the technical difficulties) and yet they struggle to attract people but so far didn't give up. So good luck with your OS. It is possible but hard.

hippy

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:44 am

diyinius2 wrote:
It is extremely difficult to find ways of making something generate income for its ongoing development. A lot of people will choose poorer quality but free over anything paid for. There's often a disconnect between people accepting something is of value and actually being prepared to pay for it. But I doubt I could tell you anything you don't already know.

I think the only way to succeed is by having something free and then charging for extras or add-ons. That's the model many downloadable games go for but I don't know how well it works in general. It does have the advantage that you aren't limiting its spread even if it's not making the revenue one might like.

The thing I would say is if there's not a free or trial version then a good many will simply pass it by. That in my opinion is a huge mistake, a failure to even let potential punters get themselves hooked, and it stops people becoming evangelists for a product even if they wouldn't buy or use it themselves.

DarkPlatinum

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:29 pm

This project looks exciting :D
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

drifterf

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm

no input from me tbh but i really like this :)

diyinius2

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 am

Thanks for all the good advice!

Agreed, a fair amount of features need to be free, and definitely open source, perhaps following SailfishOS's model.

A lot of emphasis is being put in the Builder App as a differentiator, you know, to make it something that most people don't consider rocket science (some people say that about config. files), or think of as something boring, which is way too many people. At the pace things are going most people are going to be completely dependent on the "AI" they will be given for doing anything, and have no option but to pay up $1,000 or $2,000 (at least) for the privilege of having access to it, or otherwise be marginalized and perhaps serve as a Matrix Battery?

Sorry... that's more than enough ranting ;)

I'm here just to share the recently created YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnNm3t ... yeubE6q1eg, and official first video. Hope you like!

It's just a teaser, the Easter Egg (which missed the "Easter" deadline), captured on a Pi Zero, performing decently graphics-wise in our opinion. The video has a resolution of 800x480, and what you see was a single take, the only exception is the initial title screen. The resolution is completely arbitrary and for the purpose of keeping the video small, it performs as well in full HD when in desktop mode, so we'll probably use that for the Demo of the Builder App.

So I'll leave it at that for now, it's kinda late now over here so nighty-nite! Sorry for the delay, we just couldn't let ourselves upload a raw video without at least a few nice looking titles, and video editing is absolutely, positively, not our thing. Disclaimer: the video was made entirely using open source software, so it can be branded 100% organic! And totally gluten free! Also, I'm chatty so that means slightly sleep deprived, and I need to stop now.

BTW, are you the @fanoush from the N900 forums? If I'm not mistaken I used to read your forum posts back on the glory days of the N900, and I believe @hippy was there too, is that right? Oh, I'm telling you, if there was a modern version of the N900, I might have not started this... although I guess the Raspberries are the successors in a way.

Cheers!

diyinius2

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 am

What!? It's Sunday? Where is the "face palm" emoji when you need it?

Return to “Other projects”