Dogma

Can't get Google Domain name to point to pi

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:15 am

So, I've been searching for days. Compiling a plan of action list, and I ran it all tonight. Everything is up and running on my web server but for the life of me I still can't get my google domain to point to the web server.

I've set up the synthetic record and this is what I have in /etc/ddclient.conf

Code: Select all

ssl=yes
protocol=googledomains
login=****
password=*****
www.dogmeat.net
From google's info they now support ddclient directly and I assume the login and password were the generated username and password according to their info that they give you for the synthetic record you create, I edited them here but I have the correct string in my conf file.

Now, all this being said, I'm still extremely new to Linux CLI, so I've been bumbling my way around for days, learning, creating, destroying, starting over and I know you all have answered this question MANY times before, so I apologize, many of my attempts have come from answers directly on this forum, but I either don't understand or, the fixes I found weren't fixes for me. When I first did this, I had the domain pointed to it, or at least I think I did, and the next morning it didn't work anymore. But I'm sure I didn't do it right to begin with and I think it was set up locally and not on the web so I'm disregarding that attempt.

http://97.90.94.51/ is the web server, it's not in a good spot right at the moment so I will be shutting it down and moving it to where I want it at some point. But, I would like the domain to stay.

DougieLawson

Re: Can't get Google Domain name to point to pi

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am

Since you're paying $12, that includes some support from https://domains.google.com/registrar?contactus - go and ask them.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

neilgl

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes and is your pi connected to a router? If so , have you set port forwarding on that router?

DarkPlatinum

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:51 pm

neilgl wrote:
Yes and is your pi connected to a router? If so , have you set port forwarding on that router?
One of the most common issues.

Port forwarding will need to be done on port 443 for https and port 80 for http. If ssh is required then port 22 will need to be opened as well.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

ameador1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:00 pm

neilgl wrote:
The OPs URL to the specific IP address is working - so that would answer those questions. But, pinging the domain gets no results - so I think the Google configuration is the issue - and/or this client is misconfigured to work right with Google. Although I do wonder if the SSL being turned on could be a factor. Maybe this is only in relation to connecting to Google to update the WAN address for Google's DNS address for the domain - and not in relation to the web server? Since pinging the domain does not resolve an address - the ddclient is not updating Google with the WAN address - but why? I'm not familiar with their system to know - but it doesn't look to me like it is a LAN configuration issue or a RPI web server issue. It's connected to the ddclient settings and Google.
"When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns–or dollars. Take your choice–there is no other..."
- Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

ameador1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:19 pm

After a little searching - check this site out: http://rainvilletech.net/index.php/2018 ... ian-linux/

At first glance - this guy makes a point that your password needs to be surrounded by single quotes. Also, he has a line in the ddclient.conf file of

use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.com
This appears to be telling the ddclient to use dyndns.com to find your WAN address so your ddclient can update that address with Google. Maybe if you don't have that - your client is trying to update Google with you internal LAN address - which will not work - and probably Google would not allow to be set as the DNS address for your domain (they would recognize it as a non internet routable address). He also explains how to set Google to work with dynamic addressing - so maybe that still needs to be done. There is another configuration of

daemon=300
that adds delay time between checking for new WAN address checking - too frequent is an issue - you should add this setting.

He explains how to run this client with options to put it in verbose mode for testing purposes so you see what it's is doing, what it is reporting to Google, etc... That would be useful in troubleshooting this. And lastly, he explains that using these two configurations would make ddclient run as a daemon - so in case your RPi restarts - the ddclient will also restart.

run_daemon=”true”
daemon_interval=”300″
Not running it as a daemon means that on a restart - it will no longer be running and your web site will fail on a WAN address change. And, a couple of commenters on his blog entry said they needed to run the following to get the ddclient to start - I assume after configuring it to run as a daemon - but maybe in general:

sudo systemctl start ddclient
Last edited by ameador1 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns–or dollars. Take your choice–there is no other..."

Dogma

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:57 pm

neilgl wrote:
Yeah 80 is forwarded, as someone pointed out my direct IP address works, but as...
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Port forwarding will need to be done on port 443 for https and port 80 for http. If ssh is required then port 22 will need to be opened as well.
This says I don't have 443 open, and I haven't gotten to the point where I want to remote SSH yet so 22 is not open either. Could someone explain what 443 is because I've seen this suggestion and couldn't figure out what it was for? Not saying I don't need it, mind you, just curious.

and
ameador1 wrote:
After a little searching - check this site out: rainvilletech.net/index.php/2018/06/11/ ... ian-linux/
This site seems to be down for me currently? Inspecting the URL I suspect it's someone's RPi server as well, maybe he has it off lol. It's early morning for me so will check again later today, have class here in a few but then I got a free day to mess with all this more and I will try those suggestions, thank you for pulling the information from the page for me, it should be helpful.

Thank you all for answers, will update you all later today. Seriously, hope this fixes my issues, my head has been hurting lol. Thanks guys.

Ernst

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:14 pm

if your domain is dogmeat.net and your pi is www.dogmeat.net then I suggest you have a look at the ddclient log files:

[email protected]:~ $ nslookup www.dogmeat.net 8.8.8.8
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.dogmeat.net
Address: 0.0.0.0

[email protected]:~ $ nslookup dogmeat.net 8.8.8.8
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   dogmeat.net
Address: 0.0.0.0
https://sourceforge.net/p/ddclient/wiki/Home/
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

ameador1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Dogma wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:57 pm
neilgl wrote:
DarkPlatinum wrote:
This says I don't have 443 open, and I haven't gotten to the point where I want to remote SSH yet so 22 is not open either. Could someone explain what 443 is because I've seen this suggestion and couldn't figure out what it was for? Not saying I don't need it, mind you, just curious.

and
ameador1 wrote:
After a little searching - check this site out: rainvilletech.net/index.php/2018/06/11/ ... ian-linux/
This site seems to be down for me currently? Inspecting the URL I suspect it's someone's RPi server as well, maybe he has it off lol. It's early morning for me so will check again later today, have class here in a few but then I got a free day to mess with all this more and I will try those suggestions, thank you for pulling the information from the page for me, it should be helpful.

Thank you all for answers, will update you all later today. Seriously, hope this fixes my issues, my head has been hurting lol. Thanks guys.
My apologies - the link did not have the http:// at the beginning and it was going to the wrong address. I corrected this link in my original post - but here it is again: http://rainvilletech.net/index.php/2018 ... ian-linux/

I don't think you need to worry about the port 443 forwarding. That is for SSL encrypted web traffic. In your ddclinet config it says SSL=yes. I think this is simply telling the ddclient to use an encrypted logon to Google to update you current WAN address in Google's settings for your domain - but it is giving the impression that it is related to whether or not your RPi webserver is publishing your website with SSL (requiring users to browse to https://www.dogmeat.net vs http://www.dogmeat.net (notice the http vs https). If your web server/site were using SSL encryption - then the 443 port forwarding would be an issue. Correct me if I am wrong - but you are not (as of yet) trying to secure your web site via SSL encryption. As this is simply a DynDNS client - it really has nothing to do with the web server security implementation - thus I don't believe the SSL=yes in the config relates to forwarding port 443.

If your website was setup to be secured (having user's browsers to use encrypted communications with your web server) - it would then use port 443 instead of port 80. Securing your website is more complicated. You have to generate or purchase a security certificate for your site. If you generate one - users will get a trusted certificate warning - making your web site look like a dangerous place to go. To get around this you have to buy a security certificate from a top level trusted certificate authority that is know by the users browsers - so they don't throw up the untrusted certificate warning to users. You then have to install the security certificate on your server for your website. You have to make some web server configuration changes to use the certificate for your site... blah blah blah. But you only really need this if the info on your website is sensitive - like using shopping carts where users put in credit card information or collecting users personal information (including any kinds of usernames/passwords, etc...)

Hope that is helpful.

ameador1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Oh, and the link I gave you... this guy is doing exactly what you are doing - updating Google Domains via his RPi for his webserver using the DDClient - I think it is very worth looking at. The post is titled: Configuring DDClient DyDNS for Google Domains on Debian Linux [using a RPi]

There are multiple things he covers on configs you need to make sure you have done that I didn't list here.

I would say that the only thing right off that I see that is different is he configures Google Domains...DNS...Synthetic Records...Dynamic DNS setting for the subdomain of "@". If you did this, dogmeat.net would get forwarded to your RPi (no www). But you are using www.dogmeat.net. So you would configure subdomain of www instead of "@". Accordingly, In his config file he lists at the bottom mywebsite.com - this is because he configured Google Domains Dynamic DNS setting for subdomain of "@". If you added and configured subdomain "www" - then at the bottom of your config file (as you have it now), you would list www.dogmeat.com. Beyond that I think following his instructions exactly would work for you (there are other differences in his config file too - mostly the ones I pointed out in my other posts)

Really - look at his page and make sure you have setup everything correctly in Google Domains and the DDClient config file.

Dogma

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Again I can't thank you all enough for your suggestions. It's working! Though I have one last issue.

sudo systemctl enable ddclient
sudo systemctl status ddclient
Those two lines of code in the end of the page that gave me the example of, the guy says it should say "active (running)" from the second line.

Mine says
WARNING: cannot connect to checkup.dyndns.org:80 socket: IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname 'checkup.dyndns.org'
I figured out that in my first post it should be "checkip.dyndns.com" and I had "checkup.dyndns.org" (don't ask, a suggestion was wrong or no sleep for a few days and I did it...)

So, this warning is showing me what I had wrong before, but I already changed my /etc/ddclient.conf to be correct. The webpage is also working http://dogmeat.net

So I'm not sure where I have "checkup" still any suggestions?

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pm

It shouldn't use DynDNS to determine your IP address if you've got

protocol=googledomains,
login=my-auto-generated-username,
password=my-auto-generated-password
my.domain.tld
Google knows how to determine your IP address using their evil mind reading techniques.

Have you got the latest version of the ddclient perl program from https://datapacket.dl.sourceforge.net/p ... 9.0.tar.gz ?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Dogma

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pm
It shouldn't use DynDNS to determine your IP address if you've got

protocol=googledomains,
login=my-auto-generated-username,
password=my-auto-generated-password
my.domain.tld
Google knows how to determine your IP address using their evil mind reading techniques.

Have you got the latest version of the ddclient perl program from https://datapacket.dl.sourceforge.net/p ... 9.0.tar.gz ?

Not sure on the version? I ran

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ddclient
But unfortunately if I take out the

It can't resolve my IP in a verbose check?

# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
#
# /etc/ddclient.conf

if=wlan0

ssl=yes
protocol=googledomains
login=username
password=’passwordhere’
daemon=300
dogmeat.net
This is how my conf file looks now, obviously with correct username and pass. And other than that warning about the wrong "checkup.dyndns.org" everything is running. I just have a feeling if it updates it's going to wreck everything once again. Just can't seem to figure out where I may have entered that if it's correct in the ddclient.conf

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Go and fetch the latest version. It's got the support for Googledomains that you need.

Dogma

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 pm

So how do I install that if I'm going completely headless? I have the zip on my PC, I also got it with a "wget" but not sure what I do from there?

ameador1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:42 pm

I wonder - is it possible that you changed the Google Domain settings and got the single quotes around your password and it started working at that point as you are now making a valid login to Google and it is now able to pick up your IP address?
Try:

sudo systemctl stop ddclient
then re-check the text of the config file. Try removing the

line, re-save then

sudo systemctl start ddclient
You didn't update your IP address directly in Google Domains did you?

My curiosity here is that if it still cannot resolve the address in verbose mode and still thinks it is using the checkup link - yet it is now working - then my suspicion is that DougieLawson me be correct that Google is picking up the address on its own and the

is no longer needed. It may be that the instance of the file the DDClient in deamon mode is using is a cached version of the file that still had checkup still in it. Stopping and re-starting the DDClient should pick up on the file changes if that is the case.

ameador1

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Earlier, pinging your domain name gave not result. Now it does - so something updated the IP address with Google - either you did it manually - or this DDClient did it. See what I mean.

Dogma

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 pm

That fixed it, I've got the active (running) from the status. You guys are all awesome!

Even rebooted the Pi and page still works, still have active running.

Now to go update my running tasks that I'm compiling.

Thanks again everyone who took the time to respond! Hopefully I get better at this lol...

Dogma

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Oh last quick question where would I add additional synthetic logs. I.E if I wanted to add the www.dogmeat.net or a forums.dogmeat.net?

as in will it check each login and pass on each domain or...?

ameador1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:29 am

Dogma wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 pm
Oh last quick question where would I add additional synthetic logs. I.E if I wanted to add the www.dogmeat.net or a forums.dogmeat.net?

as in will it check each login and pass on each domain or...?
Do you mean the Synthetic Records on Google Domains? I think that's what you are talking about.

I'm not sure here as I am not familiar with Google Domains. But, I think at this point in the Dynamic DNS area - you have configure the "@" record - which is what the DDClient is configured to update. My thinking would be that now in the regular DNS (not Dynamic DNS) configuration area you would want to add "cname" records that point to the "@" record - or to dogmeat.net. This would tell anyone resolving DNS names - like forums.dogmeat.net or www.dogmeat.net or email.dogmeat.net and so on to point to your WAN IP address. Then you would have to have this RPi configured to respond to each of those cnames (aliases) - IF you are actually running all those things from that RPi. You could also configure other kinds of records, like MX records that would point to say email.dogmeat.net at a different IP address that is the mail server designated to handle your email for your domain. Or, you could add a cname record for shopping.dogmeat.net that would redirect the user to a shopping cart service that is handling a shopping cart for your domain.

Any cnames/MX records/etc... that you point to "@" or dogmeat.net are going to be directed your RPi and you will have to configure it/web server to handle what to do with requests coming in on those names - if you actually want to do something other than show your web page. Basically each subdomain you configure at Google - whether www, forums, email, etc... end up telling the requestor what IP address is assigned to each of those names. If its a web browser asking - it's gonna send a request on port 80 (or port 443 is https is used in the browser) to the address it received from Google DNS - asking for a web page matching www.dogmeat.net, forums.dogmeat.net, email.dogmeat.net, etc... This process is mostly just creating an index of record type, name, and IP address to give to requestors asking for an address to one of those names. See?

It's more complex than this - this is overly simplified - but it is the jist of it. You forward port 80 on your router to point to your RPi's LAN address. You could point other ports to other machines. Like say you setup your own email server on another computer - you could forward the related ports to that computer and it would handle email server related traffic - (so long as Google DNS is configured with MX records pointing to "@" or dogmeat.net. It would work because the email systems are configure to use specific ports - so your router would know based on the port - which computer to forward that traffic to. You can configure you web server to direct them to a url like www.dogmeat.net/forums when a browser request hits it looking for forums.dogmeat.net on port 80. There's a lot of flexibility here - and a lot to learn to use it all. :)
Last edited by ameador1 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dogma

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 am

Cool! That is definitely a project for after I get some HW done for my classes.

I don't plan to do any credit card type stuff but would like to run a forum for the IT students at the college I attend. You'd think I should know more but actually have never touched linux in my life. I wanted to learn though!

Thanks for everyone's help again! I really appreciate it!

ameador1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 am

Dogma wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 am
Cool! That is definitely a project for after I get some HW done for my classes.

I don't plan to do any credit card type stuff but would like to run a forum for the IT students at the college I attend. You'd think I should know more but actually have never touched linux in my life. I wanted to learn though!

Thanks for everyone's help again! I really appreciate it!
Funny enough - I've only just been playing with Linux just in the last couple of months - other that a course I took 16 years ago ;)

Actually - this is mostly the subject of web server management, DNS management, networking, TCP/IP, etc. These concepts apply across pretty much any current OS. It's just a matter of how to use and configure them on each OS or platform - like Windows or Linux, and Google Domains - or Register.com or GoDaddy.com - it's all the same - just figuring out how to set it up on their systems.

ameador1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 am

Oh, and one last thing that I didn't think to ask as you are new at this - do you have your RPi configured with a static LAN IP address? Or, is your router configured to point port 80 traffic to your RPi by name? If your router is redirecting port 80 WAN traffic to the LAN IP of your RPi (say 192.168.1.10 as an example) and your RPi is getting it's IP address via DHCP from your router - then your RPi could get a new address assigned at some point. Most routers don't change addresses on LAN devices very often - but they can. So you could be running for a couple of months - and then all of the sudden break.

The point is, I would get the MAC address from the network connection your RPi is using and configure your router to assign a specific IP address to the RPi's MAC address via DHCP. That way - you can use DHCP throughout your network - but you know the same LAN IP address will always be assigned to your RPi. If your router lets you forward port 80 to the name of your RPi instead of an IP address - then this doesn't matter - but that's not typical. I just wanted to make sure your were aware of it and how to configure it as it could show itself quite a bit later and throw you for a loop.

Dogma

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:33 am

Yeah the first thing in my step-by-step that I'm building sets a static IP on my router by mac address and the DHCP.

Like I said in my initial post I've done this so much, either losing my way or breaking something that I've written a list of my own, compiling all the stuff that I found worked into a word, creating backup stages, in fact I just made stage three. the aliases and phpBB are the next stages as everything has been successful this time.

I've also been writing commands down and what they're for.

And you're right it is very much the area I'm studying, I actually bought the RPi so I could practice network fundamentals and all this on a legitimate system. But, gotta learn linux while I learn networking, so sometimes you just lose your mind lmao. But so far I'm having fun with everything,

I got a few other projects I plan to build when this finishes. I want to build a home assistant to control lights, music among other things and I've got stuff started with that, all the hardware is set but the software portion hasn't even started. Then I want to build a magic mirror that will double as another assistant for my living room.

I used to build quad copters all the time I really love this kind of stuff. Trick is just having the time though, or a friendly ear to help ya when you really need it!

ameador1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:06 am

Time is a never ending problem! ;)

My project at hand is a custom heating system integrating heat exhausted from a small data center that I run from my house into the house to help heat the house. Using a smart thermostat and smart outlets with IFTTT and a 3rd party service that backends into IFTTT. But the smart thermostat system is having issues causing my setup to be inconsistent. Works pretty well - heating our house completely with the exhaust heat down to 12°F outside before any other heat source is required. So my difficulty at this point is working out all the electronics, power use issues, PCB design, etc... This stuff is more or less new to me and having to break some bad misconceptions to work it all out - plus a billion other hury up and do it now projects. Learning never stops! :)

Return to “Beginners”