gtechn
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Microsoft buys Express Logic

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:46 pm

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04 ... iot-range/

Microsoft just bought Express Logic, which makes the RTOS ThreadX. This is important because ThreadX is the operating system that runs on the Raspberry Pi VideoCore GPU. I don't think much will change immediately for the Pi, but overall, interesting.

Heater
Posts: 15974
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm

All part of the plan to gain ownership of the IoT market and have all the worlds devices dependent on MS Azure cloud services.

Perhaps soon you won't be able to buy an IoT thing without it using this OS and being tied to Azure. Rather like buying a PC and getting tied to Windows.

Getting youngsters and educators locked in by means of the Raspberry Pi is a bonus.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4634
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Could be a good move, with MS's push to open thing up and use and contribute to open source now.

Who knows, it'll certainly be to get used with 'cloud' which is where their money is.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26673
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 pm

I don't think we have upgraded the threadx version on VC4 in years. So I don't expect this to be any sort of issue.

A LONG time ago we moved from, I think, Nucleus, to ThreadX, so its not impossible to move from one RTOS to another (the vcos abstraction layer was designed to help with that).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gtechn
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:24 pm

jamesh wrote: I don't think we have upgraded the threadx version on VC4 in years. So I don't expect this to be any sort of issue.

A LONG time ago we moved from, I think, Nucleus, to ThreadX, so its not impossible to move from one RTOS to another (the vcos abstraction layer was designed to help with that).
Okay, I'm actually curious... what benefits would there be (if any) to upgrading ThreadX, and what benefits were there to move from Nucleus to ThreadX?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26673
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 pm

gtechn wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:24 pm
jamesh wrote: I don't think we have upgraded the threadx version on VC4 in years. So I don't expect this to be any sort of issue.

A LONG time ago we moved from, I think, Nucleus, to ThreadX, so its not impossible to move from one RTOS to another (the vcos abstraction layer was designed to help with that).
Okay, I'm actually curious... what benefits would there be (if any) to upgrading ThreadX, and what benefits were there to move from Nucleus to ThreadX?
None, and I think pricing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 4527
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:38 am

If you cannot beat them, buy them?
Amazon/FreeRTOS, Microsoft/ThreedX.
IoT is getting very interesting.

FreeRTOS is open source?
ThreadX is not?

So Pi's will have MS code inside them from now on ;)
Time will tell if this makes a difference to the IoT market.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26673
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:38 am
If you cannot beat them, buy them?
Amazon/FreeRTOS, Microsoft/ThreedX.
IoT is getting very interesting.

FreeRTOS is open source?
ThreadX is not?

So Pi's will have MS code inside them from now on ;)
Time will tell if this makes a difference to the IoT market.
Well, we already have Minecraft, so MS is not totally unknown.

ThreadX is closed source.

In fact, Broadcom bought the source code for ThreadX, not sure of the exact agreement, but somewhat more than a licence. So no issues will arise from this. Interesting that ThreadX was actually a new RTOS by the same guy who did Nucleus, who had sold that on to Mentor.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Will5455
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 pm
Location: harrisonville mo

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Heater wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm
All part of the plan to gain ownership of the IoT market and have all the worlds devices dependent on MS Azure cloud services.

Perhaps soon you won't be able to buy an IoT thing without it using this OS and being tied to Azure. Rather like buying a PC and getting tied to Windows.

Getting youngsters and educators locked in by means of the Raspberry Pi is a bonus.
linux is now game capable so we might see a expanding linus community soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE
I do strange things and am sometimes the techhead stereotype.
deal with it!

Andyroo

Re: Microsoft buys Express Logic

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Will5455 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Heater wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm
All part of the plan to gain ownership of the IoT market and have all the worlds devices dependent on MS Azure cloud services.

Perhaps soon you won't be able to buy an IoT thing without it using this OS and being tied to Azure. Rather like buying a PC and getting tied to Windows.

Getting youngsters and educators locked in by means of the Raspberry Pi is a bonus.
linux is now game capable so we might see a expanding linus community soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE
Sorry that’s old old news - just because LTT have finally found it. See https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews ... _polymer=1

Given we know Broadcom have a licence+ for the code maybe it’s time to close the thread?

Return to “Off topic discussion”