AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Please i have just purchased a raspberry pi 3 b+ as i would like to start learning how to code as well as learning about computers in general. I followed a page that showed me how to install the raspbian os to the sd card i followed it to the t but it did not explain now how would i connect it to my chromebook. i am currently using a lenovo chromebook as well as the raspberry pi 3 b+, i purchased the smraza kit the basic one. can someone please help me, i have looked for videos but it seems like none is for the problem that i am facing. please any help appreciated.... I downloaded the secure shell app as well I am using hotspot from my phone.... Please someone helpppp...

Andyroo
Posts: 2515
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Lincs U.K.

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect it to my chromebook.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm

The Pi comes with two ways of accessing it remotely:

RealVNC allows you to control the GUI using a mouse and keyboard on another computer. Details here
SSH gives you a command line and is designed for lower level access. Details here

The issue you have is the 'walled garden' nature of the ChromeBook and what you can get to.

Have a look in the applications store / Goolge Play store for anything that will give you a SSH client (such as Termius or HTerm) and visit RealVnc to enrol in the Raspberry Pi FREE connection software / Internet connection capabilities.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect it to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 am

Andyroo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm
The Pi comes with two ways of accessing it remotely:

RealVNC allows you to control the GUI using a mouse and keyboard on another computer. Details here
SSH gives you a command line and is designed for lower level access. Details here

The issue you have is the 'walled garden' nature of the ChromeBook and what you can get to.

Have a look in the applications store / Goolge Play store for anything that will give you a SSH client (such as Termius or HTerm) and visit RealVnc to enrol in the Raspberry Pi FREE connection software / Internet connection capabilities.
I still don't understand I followed directions from I site that told me how to install the raspbian os with the ssh file in the boot path enabling ssh. I have secure shell app version 0.17 installed I don't know what to do from there I turn on the pi but don't know what to do on the ssh screen.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9894
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect it to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:41 am

AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 am
Andyroo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm
The Pi comes with two ways of accessing it remotely:

RealVNC allows you to control the GUI using a mouse and keyboard on another computer. Details here
SSH gives you a command line and is designed for lower level access. Details here

The issue you have is the 'walled garden' nature of the ChromeBook and what you can get to.

Have a look in the applications store / Goolge Play store for anything that will give you a SSH client (such as Termius or HTerm) and visit RealVnc to enrol in the Raspberry Pi FREE connection software / Internet connection capabilities.
I still don't understand I followed directions from I site that told me how to install the raspbian os with the ssh file in the boot path enabling ssh. I have secure shell app version 0.17 installed I don't know what to do from there I turn on the pi but don't know what to do on the ssh screen.
Sticking my neck out here... It sounds like you are connecting to your Pi with your ssh client. Do you get a screen that has something like "[email protected] ~ $" at the top? Or are you looking at "login:" at the top? If the later, you need to log in using the default credentials of "pi" and "raspberry". Then you'll have the "[email protected]" prompt.

Once there, the first thing you want to do is run "sudo raspi-config". You should change the password, first off. Other things to do are: set your locale, set your time zone, set the keyboard. Then exit raspi-config. Given some of the settings you'll be doing, you will need to reboot, and it should prompt you to do that. If not, use the command "sudo reboot".

Once the Pi is rebooted, log back in using your new password.

Now you can run shell commands like ls, cd, df, and so on.

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect it to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:41 am
AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 am
Andyroo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 pm
The Pi comes with two ways of accessing it remotely:

RealVNC allows you to control the GUI using a mouse and keyboard on another computer. Details here
SSH gives you a command line and is designed for lower level access. Details here

The issue you have is the 'walled garden' nature of the ChromeBook and what you can get to.

Have a look in the applications store / Goolge Play store for anything that will give you a SSH client (such as Termius or HTerm) and visit RealVnc to enrol in the Raspberry Pi FREE connection software / Internet connection capabilities.
I still don't understand I followed directions from I site that told me how to install the raspbian os with the ssh file in the boot path enabling ssh. I have secure shell app version 0.17 installed I don't know what to do from there I turn on the pi but don't know what to do on the ssh screen.
Sticking my neck out here... It sounds like you are connecting to your Pi with your ssh client. Do you get a screen that has something like "[email protected] ~ $" at the top? Or are you looking at "login:" at the top? If the later, you need to log in using the default credentials of "pi" and "raspberry". Then you'll have the "[email protected]" prompt.

Once there, the first thing you want to do is run "sudo raspi-config". You should change the password, first off. Other things to do are: set your locale, set your time zone, set the keyboard. Then exit raspi-config. Given some of the settings you'll be doing, you will need to reboot, and it should prompt you to do that. If not, use the command "sudo reboot".

Once the Pi is rebooted, log back in using your new password.

Now you can run shell commands like ls, cd, df, and so on.
Ok so I found out my Pi's IP address did everything to sign in from ssh now it's telling me port 22 connection refused. I checked to make sure the ssh file is in the boot part of SD card and it wasn't so I added it but still does not work. When I check again to see if ssh is in boot it's not so I added again and still saying same thing. I wonder if I have the wrong raspberian os on the SD card. When I ping the pi it gives me the IP address. I don't know what else to do I been stuck on this for a while now.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 13907
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:54 am

AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 am
I checked to make sure the ssh file is in the boot part of SD card and it wasn't so I added it but still does not work. When I check again to see if ssh is in boot it's not so I added again and still saying same thing.
That is normal behaviour. You only need to put the file there once to enable the SSH server and it gets deleted once that is done.
Signature is on holiday.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3760
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 am

How are your Chromebook and Raspberry Pi connected to your network?

How did you find the IP address of your Pi?

Try SSH into [email protected]

Check your router settings to see if AP isolation is enabled.

FYI: SSH from my Chromebook works fine, so it can be done (we just need to figure out what's different with your setup).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9894
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:48 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 am
Try SSH into [email protected]
[email protected].local

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19368
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:11 pm

AyoGeo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:46 pm
Please i have just purchased a raspberry pi 3 b+ as i would like to start learning how to code as well as learning about computers in general. I followed a page that showed me how to install the raspbian os to the sd card i followed it to the t but it did not explain now how would i connect it to my chromebook. i am currently using a lenovo chromebook as well as the raspberry pi 3 b+, i purchased the smraza kit the basic one. can someone please help me, i have looked for videos but it seems like none is for the problem that i am facing. please any help appreciated.... I downloaded the secure shell app as well I am using hotspot from my phone.... Please someone helpppp...

The Chromebook and Raspberry Pi both connected to your phone HotSpot ??
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 am
How are your Chromebook and Raspberry Pi connected to your network? Hi

How did you find the IP address of your Pi?

Try SSH into [email protected]

Check your router settings to see if AP isolation is enabled.

FYI: SSH from my Chromebook works fine, so it can be done (we just need to figure out what's different with your setup).
Ok so I am using my phones hotspot. I found the IP address on crosh using ping command. I followed will haley.com raspberry pi headless installation directions. Does my raspberry pi have to be connected to my phones hotspot first? If so how do I connect it to the hotspot first.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19368
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 pm

AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm
HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 am
How are your Chromebook and Raspberry Pi connected to your network? Hi

How did you find the IP address of your Pi?

Try SSH into [email protected]

Check your router settings to see if AP isolation is enabled.

FYI: SSH from my Chromebook works fine, so it can be done (we just need to figure out what's different with your setup).
Ok so I am using my phones hotspot. I found the IP address on crosh using ping command. I followed will haley.com raspberry pi headless installation directions. Does my raspberry pi have to be connected to my phones hotspot first? If so how do I connect it to the hotspot first.

If you are not connected to something how can your devices communicate ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3760
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:30 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:48 pm
[email protected].local
Either [email protected] or [email protected] works on Chrome OS (.local is not required).

Don't need .local with WSL either (.local doesn't even work in WSL, I think that's a Bonjour thing).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3760
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm

AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm
I followed will haley.com raspberry pi headless installation directions.
Okay, I think I found the guide you used (next time post a link, please), and it looks like the wpa_supplicant.conf file example is incomplete.

The file, wpa_supplicant.conf should look like this.

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="Router/WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
  • Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
I believe the missing update_config=1 line is the problem (I forget why that's needed, but one of the engineers commented on that in a previous thread). The key_mgmt=WPA-PSK line is currently optional, but it's included when the Raspbian GUI creates the file, so I recommend adding it (lots of old tutorials are now wrong because of left-out lines that became necessary later).

I just ran through the whole setup procedure on my Chromebook and it worked on my home WiFi. Then I tried it using my phone's hotspot, and that worked as well. So assuming that you have a valid wpa_supplicant.conf file, and both your Chromebook and Pi are connected to the same network, it should work.

AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Does my raspberry pi have to be connected to my phones hotspot first? If so how do I connect it to the hotspot first.
Yes, your Pi must be connected to the same network as your Chromebook before you will be able to use SSH.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm
AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm
I followed will haley.com raspberry pi headless installation directions.
Okay, I think I found the guide you used (next time post a link, please), and it looks like the wpa_supplicant.conf file example is incomplete.

The file, wpa_supplicant.conf should look like this.

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="Router/WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
  • Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
I believe the missing update_config=1 line is the problem (I forget why that's needed, but one of the engineers commented on that in a previous thread). The key_mgmt=WPA-PSK line is currently optional, but it's included when the Raspbian GUI creates the file, so I recommend adding it (lots of old tutorials are now wrong because of left-out lines that became necessary later).

I just ran through the whole setup procedure on my Chromebook and it worked on my home WiFi. Then I tried it using my phone's hotspot, and that worked as well. So assuming that you have a valid wpa_supplicant.conf file, and both your Chromebook and Pi are connected to the same network, it should work.

AyoGeo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Does my raspberry pi have to be connected to my phones hotspot first? If so how do I connect it to the hotspot first.
Yes, your Pi must be connected to the same network as your Chromebook before you will be able to use SSH.
ok thank you for your help. i typed exactly what you have into the wpa file, now the same problem when i had it the original way is happening. it stays connected for a minute than dissconects. its giving me the mac address but it is showing 0.0.0.0 as the ip address. i cant figure this out i have been reading everything i can and found out what i was doing wrong at first now that i fixed that problem i can finaly see it trying to connect to the hotspot but not staying connected.

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Ok now here is exactly what is going on now. i have the wpa file text exactly the way they said to up above. Now when i look under my manage devices tab in my phones hotspot it shows that an unknown device is trying to connect with a ip address of 0.0.0.0. now when it showed it was connected for two minutes i went to crosh and tried the command raspi -c 1 and it came up with a ip address. The problem is that it is not staying connected, it shows a mac address but not an ip address. There is no other raspberry devices where i am so i know that is not the problem. Everyone that has helped me so far i appreciated it so much.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3760
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:34 pm

That's really odd. Does your hotspot allow communication between devices (some wireless access points keep clients isolated from each other)? Are there any security settings for your hotspot app (see if you can turn off client isolation, or authorise your Pi's connection)?

Do you have a normal ISP/Router wireless network you could try it on?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:34 pm
That's really odd. Does your hotspot allow communication between devices (some wireless access points keep clients isolated from each other)? Are there any security settings for your hotspot app (see if you can turn off client isolation, or authorise your Pi's connection)?

Do you have a normal ISP/Router wireless network you could try it on?
Ok so I am using hotspot spot on a Moto E5 play. When I go to the settings tab in hotspot and go to set up WiFi hotspot it shows the security as WPA2 PSK. Do I have to add the 2 in the wpa line code?. As far as everything else goes my Chromebook connects just fine. This is the only option I have right now is my hotspot as the wifi.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3760
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 pm

No, the wpa_supplicant.conf file should work the way I posted it (I use WPA2 security as well).

Do you know if your phone provider allows more than one connection at a time (mine allows up to 10)?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 pm
No, the wpa_supplicant.conf file should work the way I posted it (I use WPA2 security as well).

Do you know if your phone provider allows more than one connection at a time (mine allows up to 10)?
Yes I have had two before I was trying with 3 going to try with just two. But I don't know what else can be the problem.

PcMac
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:55 am

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 am

Try some simple things. Start with diet pi.
You can watch my videos.

DietPi: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 93m36xYtTZ

Here is the playlist link.

Thanks & Regards
Mr. PcMac

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:56 am

Ok so i now tried to do it with just two devices and the same thing is happening, it looks like its trying to connect to the hotspot it pops up for a second than kicks back out, i thought it was the macafee on the phone so i uninstaled that and tried again and still the same thing.

can you see anything with the way i have the code on wpa file.

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
ssid="name"
psk="password "
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:23 am

i realy dont know what the problem is but below you will find exactly the way i have it setup.

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
ssid="Ayogeo"
psk="WPA/WPA2 8b618f161638"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}


is anything missing please i dont undersrand what is going on i have connected tvs, phones and computers to my hotspot but i cant seem to connect the pi.

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:28 am

i also went to crosh now when i try the command ping raspbpi -c 1 it comes up as recieved and gives me the ip address. i dont understand what is going on.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3760
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 am

AyoGeo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:23 am
psk="WPA/WPA2 8b618f161638"
Unless WPA/WPA2 is part of your passphrase, it shouldn't be there.

AyoGeo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:28 am
i also went to crosh now when i try the command ping raspbpi -c 1 it comes up as recieved and gives me the ip address.
The ping raspbpi command shouldn't return anything, because the default hostname in Raspbian is raspberrypi.

Did you install the SSH App from the Chrome Web Store, or just the Extension?

EDIT:
See this post for info about serial console cables (very handy for troubleshooting).
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=238513&p=1457712#p1457712
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

AyoGeo
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Bronx, NY and Lake Worth, FL

Re: Please I need help i am a noob, how would i connect raspberry pi 3 b+ to my chromebook.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:15 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 am
AyoGeo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:23 am
psk="WPA/WPA2 8b618f161638"
Unless WPA/WPA2 is part of your passphrase, it shouldn't be there.

AyoGeo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:28 am
i also went to crosh now when i try the command ping raspbpi -c 1 it comes up as recieved and gives me the ip address.
The ping raspbpi command shouldn't return anything, because the default hostname in Raspbian is raspberrypi.

Did you install the SSH App from the Chrome Web Store, or just the Extension?

EDIT:
See this post for info about serial console cables (very handy for troubleshooting).
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=238513&p=1457712#p1457712
I DL the extension. Does this matter? What else was strange is that it did it first the crosh command than it wouldn't do it but when I changed the name it did do it. I am going to change that line in the code and see if it will work.

Return to “General discussion”