jrybak

Can't Remove SETTINGS File from Desktop

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 am

In the process of installing FUZE BASIC on my RPi 3B+, I must have inadvertently done something that made my SETTINGS file appear on my Raspian desktop. Left clicking on the file doesn't allow me to delete it or to cut it. Rebooting doesn't get rid of it. I'd like to get it off the desktop because there is no reason for it to be there. Can anyone please suggest a solution? I really don't want to do a factory reset and have to reinstall the several programs that I have added.

Thanks. (Yes, I'm pretty much a RPi newbie but I did get FUZE BASIC installed successfully.)

klricks

Re: Can't Remove SETTINGS File from Desktop

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 pm

jrybak wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 am
In the process of installing FUZE BASIC on my RPi 3B+, I must have inadvertently done something that made my SETTINGS file appear on my Raspian desktop. Left clicking on the file doesn't allow me to delete it or to cut it. Rebooting doesn't get rid of it. I'd like to get it off the desktop because there is no reason for it to be there. Can anyone please suggest a solution? I really don't want to do a factory reset and have to reinstall the several programs that I have added.

Thanks. (Yes, I'm pretty much a RPi newbie but I did get FUZE BASIC installed successfully.)
Use the RIGHT click menu not left click.
You could also left click and drag to the trash bin icon.
If that does not work what error message do you get?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jrybak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I misspoke in my original post in that I had RIGHT clicked on the file and Raspbian wouldn't let me delete the folder from the desktop. I have tried dragging the file to the waste basket but Raspbian tells me that there are files in that folder that cannot be deleted. So I guess that I'm stuck with having that SETTINGS folder on my desktop. I still do not know what I did to get it there in the first place.

efeick

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Same issue here. I have always installed Raspbian directly on the SD card, but using the NOOBS installer leaves the SETTINGS link on the desktop. I get a permission denied error when trying to drag the link to the trash. I'm finding that desktop shortcuts are supposed to be located at /home/pi/Desktop/user_name.desktop, but the CLI shows that directory to be empty so I'm guessing this icon is coming from somewhere else? Any information on how to remove it would be appreciated. Thanks.

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Open an lxterminal window and use sudo rm /home/pi/Desktop/SETTING* that will clean up your junk file.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

efeick

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:22 pm

I just get an error that "rm: cannot remove ''/home/pi/Desktop/SETTING*': No such file or directory". Running ls -a on /home/pi/Desktop shows no hidden or visible files in that directory, yet there is clearly an SD card icon labeled SETTINGS sitting right on the Desktop. The file properties show Location: /media/pi and File type: folder. Double-clicking on the icon shows the contents of the /media/pi/SETTINGS folder.

This icons behavior seems similar to the Trash. The Trash is on the Desktop but there aren't any files in /home/pi/Desktop that are controlling its presence, so maybe this icon is being added in the same way?

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Use the ls command to determine what it's really called. Or use cd ~;find . -name "*ETTING*" to search your home directories for it.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

efeick

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm sorry to say that I still cant find anything. ls -la shows /home/pi/Desktop is empty. Running find . -name "*ETTING* on /home/pi yields no results. I also ran find . -name "*.pdf just to make sure it would get some results and it found a PDF one level down at /home/pi/MagPi/MagPi80.pdf.

Since this only happens when installing Raspbian using NOOBS, maybe there is some setting in NOOBS that controls the display of this icon? Or maybe they have modified the Raspbian image they're using to include this icon. I just cant seem to find any information related to how this icon is getting onto the Desktop.

rpdom

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:09 pm

I think that this is a partition on your SD card (NOOBS perhaps?) that is being mounted at /media/pi/SETTINGS and you have the option to show mounted devices on the desktop set.

What does df -h show in the terminal?

efeick

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Looks like you're exactly right. There it is at the end:

[email protected]:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 13G 4.7G 7.4G 39% /
devtmpfs 460M 0 460M 0% /dev
tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 464M 6.3M 458M 2% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p6 65M 22M 44M 34% /boot
tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1000
/dev/mmcblk0p5 30M 461K 28M 2% /media/pi/SETTINGS

It looks like it must use that partition to configure some Raspbian settings on boot, and to make it convenient, they mount it on boot at /media/pi/SETTINGS. Now I can just switch off showing mounted devices on the Desktop and I should be good. Thanks for your help.

procount

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Yes, that's the NOOBS settings partition. Don't delete it or NOOBS may have problems.
It is being mounted automatically, but it does not need to be.
If you drop into a terminal you can un-mount it for this session using:

Code: Select all

sudo umount /media/pi/SETTINGS
which may make it disappear from the desktop.
Some bright spark may tell you how to prevent that specific partition from being mounted, or how to prevent all mounts from showing on the desktop, which is now the default in the latest version of Raspbian (April 2019)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

efeick

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to keep it mounted so it's easily accessible, just not viewable on the desktop. I just confirmed that plugging a USB device into the NOOBS/Raspbian system end up with partition links on the Desktop. but not on my system that is only Raspbian. I'm hoping, as you said, that someone knows what setting might be controlling the difference in Desktop display behavior between the two.

B.Goode

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:59 pm

efeick wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to keep it mounted so it's easily accessible, just not viewable on the desktop. I just confirmed that plugging a USB device into the NOOBS/Raspbian system end up with partition links on the Desktop. but not on my system that is only Raspbian. I'm hoping, as you said, that someone knows what setting might be controlling the difference in Desktop display behavior between the two.

Because it was what I believed to be true, I have often advised people in these forums that there is no difference between the version of Raspbian installed from a free-standing image and that installed via NOOBS.

So I am not in a position to tell you what is different.

But I will suggest that you need to be careful to compare like with like.

There has been an April 2019 release of Raspbian: perhaps the behaviour of this release differs from preceding versions of Raspbian in some relevant way?

So if you are comparing a recent installation via NOOBS with an older imaged installation you might perceive a difference in behaviour?

This entry from the Release Notes might be pertinent -
Mounted external drives now displayed on desktop by default
Maybe the additional SETTINGS partition present on a NOOBS Installer micro SD card is being detected and displayed as an 'external' drive?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:11 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:59 pm
efeick wrote:

Because it was what I believed to be true, I have often advised people in these forums that there is no difference between the version of Raspbian installed from a free-standing image and that installed via NOOBS.

So I am not in a position to tell you what is different.

But I will suggest that you need to be careful to compare like with like.

There has been an April 2019 release of Raspbian: perhaps the behaviour of this release differs from preceding versions of Raspbian in some relevant way?

So if you are comparing a recent installation via NOOBS with an older imaged installation you might perceive a difference in behaviour?

This entry from the Release Notes might be pertinent -
Mounted external drives now displayed on desktop by default
Maybe the additional SETTINGS partition present on a NOOBS Installer micro SD card is being detected and displayed as an 'external' drive?

NoobS has a specific partition layout.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... /README.md

If one just wants a single Operating System I believe NoobS is superfluous.
Retired disgracefully.....

efeick

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

The Rasbian versions that I'm comparing are both reporting to be V2.6 April 2019, but maybe the version of Raspbian being installed by NOOBS is not quite the same as my image, like lite vs. full. I have definitely noticed a few differences between the two, even with matching version numbers being reported and both fully updated:

Firefox ESR installed by default on Raspbian, not on NOOBS
VLC Media Player installed by default on NOOBS, not on Raspbian
The behavior of automounted partitions, visible on Desktop in NOOBS, not visible on Raspbian

The SETTINGS partition is definitely being mounted and displayed just like an external drive. I will have to dig into those release notes and see if they mention what exactly was changed to modify the desktop display behavior. Thanks.

efeick

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:44 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:11 pm

NoobS has a specific partition layout.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/wi ... -explained

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... /README.md

If one just wants a single Operating System I believe NoobS is superfluous.
Thanks for the link to the NOOBS partitioning information. That is an amazingly detailed document and I will have to dig into that further.

I have always run standard Raspbian, but I'm now looking into the the OS recovery options that NOOBS can offer. Instead of a student having something go wrong with a card that might require CLI work or possibly a full re-image, the ability to guide them through a reinstall of the OS with with a few clicks using information already stored on the card is really awesome.

procount

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Try my fork of NOOBS called PINN then.
It will allow you to reinstall individual OSes, backup and restore them, plus plenty of other features.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

efeick

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:06 pm

That sounds really cool. I will definitely give that a look.

procount

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 pm

@efeick - You might want to check out the following links:
https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... .md#backup
https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... ng-backups
https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... idual-oses

And if you are working with students, you might find this link interesting:
https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... oobsconfig
This allows you to create different "Flavours" of an OS by "slipstreaming" additional files along with the OS as it installs, so the students can restore to a factory fresh installation of e.g. Raspbian, that is already set up with a required set of workshops, tutorials, PDFs etc, for whatever class they are taking. Just a thought.

procount

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I am reliably informed that you can remove the Settings partition icon from the desktop by adding the following line to /etc/fstab. You probably need to edit it with superuser rights, so:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

/dev/mmcblk0p5 /mnt/Settings ext4 defaults,noatime,noauto 0 0
This assumes you have installed NOOBS/Raspbian on an SD card. If you are running from a USB drive, then you need to change the '/dev/mmcblk0p5' to whatever is the appropriate partition reference for the settings partition.

EDIT: I suggest you backup your /etc/fstab file first, before editing, just in case you get something wrong and can then restore it.

efeick

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm

I will definitely check that out. Recovery methods like that were exactly what I was looking for. With the cost and size of SD cards these days there is no reason not to have a full backup on the card that can be easily restored by a student. Thanks for the links.

That fstab entry does what I was looking for but it didnt mount the partition anywhere for editing, so I made a small change:

First I created a directory in /mnt called SETTINGS:
sudo mkdir /mnt/SETTINGS

Then I backed up my fstab and added the following line:
/dev/mmcblk0p5 /mnt/SETTINGS ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0

I just removed the noauto option so it would still be mounted during boot. Now the files are available in /mnt/SETTINGS but there is no icon on the desktop, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for everyone's help with this.

procount

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Still not quite sure why you need access to the settings partition. It's mostly internal stuff for NOOBS. I don't think there is anything there you need to alter, edit, or even view outside of NOOBS.

Andyroo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Are we looking at this the wrong way?

Is it the desktop that is showing the icon because it’s told to in its settings?

I know on my Mint box and Mac that I have an option to show mounted drives as icons on the desktop or not but I’ve no Pi desktop running at the mo to double check.

It would be interesting to plug in a USB stick and see if that shows up...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

procount

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Is it the desktop that is showing the icon because it’s told to in its settings?
Yes.
From the April 2019 Raspbian release notes....

2019-04-08:
  * Mounted external drives now displayed on desktop by default

Andyroo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:44 pm

procount wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Andyroo wrote:
Yes.
From the April 2019 Raspbian release notes....

2019-04-08:
  * Mounted external drives now displayed on desktop by default
Another version? Darn - just got bits sorted from the last set of upgrades. I’ll give this a miss (sorry to derail).
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Return to “Beginners”