robotics

best HAT/shiels for grove modules

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 pm

I am a long time software programmer but this will be my first experience with PI 3. (nothing ordered yet)
I am looking at Dexter grovePI+ and Seed grove base hat.
I want to use the system to program in python using the modules. I would like to have a pre-defined module python library, that supports many of the modules, to work from.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

johns95

Re: best HAT/shiels for grove modules

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 am

Hi,

I love Seeed products. I have been using their products for quite a long time now. I used to use GrovePi+ with the RPI before for my projects, but when they released the new Grove Base Hat for Raspberry Pi and the Grove Base Hat for Raspberry Pi Zero, I immediately switched to using those for my projects that involve a RPI and some Grove modules. Why? Because I find them way cheaper than the GrovePi+ and also they support more Grove modules than the GrovePi+. Here's a link of their new Grove.py library for the Base Hat along with a list that shows the supported Grove modules.

Hope it helps.

robotics

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanx for the reply johns95. I will further investigate the Seeed product line. I does appear that the grovepi+ is more restrictive in the modules that it supports with python. Your answer helps as, where I live in Canada, I have to order all my stuff online.

Some of my readings are suggesting that I use the RPI for the general computing/brain and use an ardunio as a microcontroller for sensors and motors. I have a Makeblock orion (modified arduino Uno) and I will play around with connecting the two.

This is keeping the old grey cells active.

johns95

Sun May 05, 2019 3:26 am

My pleaure :) Happy to help.
Enjoy then!

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”