nospaceswin

Booting from SSD

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 am

I've searched through and I need some help with trying to boot and solely use an external SSD and forego using the microSD card completely. I've formatted and mounted the Raspbian Stretch image onto the drive, and I've tried adding the "program_usb_timeout=1" to /boot/config.txt, and it will not boot from the SSD if I remove the microSD. The green light does not come on, the red light is solid. If I leave the microSD in and connect the SSD, it shows up on

Code: Select all

lsblk
with the correct drive size (~50GB for a 64GB). I'm using a Pi 3 B+, the SSD is an ADATA 64GB S596. The connector is a powered USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA. Any help is appreciated.

k-pi

Re: Booting from SSD

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am

Only the 3B with the OTP bit set, & the 3B+, (3A+ also), will boot directly from USB.
(Previous models need a card with some boot files on it.)

If yours is a 3B/3B+, then you should be able to just image the disk with Raspbian, attach it & boot, however, it can depend on the adapter in use. (I had to set mine to wait 9000ms before it would boot.)

LTolledo

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

Can you give any specifics (or links) to the adapter you used to connect the SSD to RPi3B+?
One other thing to check, what Power Supply Unit (note: not any phone charger.... please.... ) are you using?

So far these are the ones that I am using and have worked as SATA to USB3.0 adapter for boot drive SSD

1. Eluteng "black" SATA to USB3.0 adapter (bus powered, ASM1153 chipset)
2. Inateck UA1003 SATA to USB3.0 adapter (bus powered , ASM1153E chipset)

On this RPi3B+ that am using to post to this forum, am using the Inateck UA1003 paired with Crucial BX500 SSD
On a RPi3B (not 3B+), of which the required OTP bit have been set, am using the Eluteng black adapter paired with a cheapo Sunbow SSD

No other edits to any config files (rootwait, rootdelay, etc)

Just flash--> plug --> power on --> proceed to installation.

My PSU is a non-RPF 5v 3.0A
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

nospaceswin wrote:
I've formatted and mounted the Raspbian Stretch image onto the drive
I have no idea what that means. What, exactly, did you do to put Raspbian on the SSD?

The preferred way is to use the Etcher image writing software and write the image to the SSD directly from the Raspbian image .zip file you downloaded (do not extract the image first, Etcher will do that for you).

nospaceswin wrote:
and I've tried adding the "program_usb_timeout=1" to /boot/config.txt, and it will not boot from the SSD
Adding anything to a non-booting USB drive will have no effect (the system can't read configuration files if it can't boot). You must make those changes from an SD card (once the OTP bit is programmed, it's permanent, so the card and setting is no longer needed).

Oh, and that wouldn't have worked anyway, because it's: program_usb_boot_timeout=1
That permanently sets another OTP bit to enable a 5 second wait for slower USB devices to get ready (not typically needed with SSD). But before making any permanent changes to the OTP bits, try my suggestions below.

nospaceswin wrote:
if I remove the microSD. The green light does not come on, the red light is solid.
The green LED indicates SD card activity, not USB drive activity.

Try this, format an SD card with the FAT32 file system and copy just the bootcode.bin file from the small FAT32 "boot" partition of the Raspbian imaged USB drive to the SD card. Insert that SD card into your Pi and boot it with the USB drive connected (it should boot from the USB drive). You can also download bootcode.bin here (bootcode.bin).

If it still doesn't boot, power everything down and make a file named "timeout" on the bootcode.bin only SD card, then try again.

If it still does not boot, your device is probably not compatible with the Pi boot-loader (likely the fault of your USB-SATA adapter).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

nospaceswin

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

The preferred way is to use the Etcher image writing software and write the image to the SSD directly from the Raspbian image .zip file you downloaded (do not extract the image first, Etcher will do that for you).
This might be the issue, I extracted the .img first before using Etcher. I'll reformat and start over, hopefully that works. I've also linked an image for the SSD reader, waiting for mod approval.

LTolledo

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 pm

I dont think it is...

I do extract the .img file first before using Etcher to flash the image to the SSD/HDD.
no problems for me.

Some people be like:

nospaceswin

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 pm

LTolledo wrote:
https://ibb.co/VW89Bz9

Here is the SSD adapter that I'm using.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:00 am

k-pi wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am
Only the 3B with the OTP bit set, & the 3B+, (3A+ also), will boot directly from USB.
(Previous models need a card with some boot files on it.)
Almost, but not quite... You can set the OTP bit for USB MSD booting on a Pi2Bv1.2 as it uses the same SoC as the Pi3B. Then there are the Cm3L and CM3L+...
If yours is a 3B/3B+, then you should be able to just image the disk with Raspbian, attach it & boot, however, it can depend on the adapter in use. (I had to set mine to wait 9000ms before it would boot.)
On the Pi3B you have to set the OTP bit yourself. On the Pi3B+, it's set at the factory.

HawaiianPi

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am

nospaceswin wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 pm
This might be the issue, I extracted the .img first before using Etcher. I'll reformat and start over, hopefully that works. I've also linked an image for the SSD reader, waiting for mod approval.
It would only be an issue if you used an older zip utility which doesn't support the newer ZIP64 format, which should have resulted in errors while unzipping. So it's probably your USB-SATA adapter, which is not an uncommon problem. The Pi boot-loader is small and simple out of necessity (limited room for code on the SoC), so it's not compatible with all USB mass storage devices. It has been difficult for some to find the right combination of SSD and USB-SATA adapter (I've been a bit luckier as I have a few different adapters and enclosures that work for me).

nospaceswin

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:25 am

Is there a list of recommended connectors or do I just have to try out whichever ones might work? I figure someone else must have the same SSD and is successfully running it.

Also is it necessary for it to be powered? I've heard of people using unpowered ones, I don't know if you can change the config files to increase power to the USB port on boot.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 am

nospaceswin wrote:
Also is it necessary for it to be powered? I've heard of people using unpowered ones, I don't know if you can change the config files to increase power to the USB port on boot.
The max power option went away some time ago. 1.2A is now standard for Pi2B onwards.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:06 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 am
nospaceswin wrote:
The max power option went away some time ago. 1.2A is now standard for Pi2B onwards.

According to this the 2B is switchable, or is that just the 1.1 revision ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /#pi-power
Retired disgracefully.....

HawaiianPi

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 am

nospaceswin wrote:
Is there a list of recommended connectors or do I just have to try out whichever ones might work?
The best one I have found was the older ELUTENG USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter cable (with a black SATA connector). I tested that one with loads of different drives (both SSD and HDD) and I have yet to find a drive that doesn't work. Unfortunately that one was replaced by a newer model that doesn't work as well (avoid the one with the blue SATA connector). However, I did find a seller named TNP who seems to have the same product (for the moment). I ordered one of those, and as far as I can tell it's identical to my ELUTENG adapters (minus ELUTENG branding).

I've also had good luck with a Sabrent USB-SATA adapter cable. I haven't tested the Sabrent adapter as thoroughly as the ELUTENG, but it has worked with a few different drives (SSD & HDD). Oh, and on my 3B it's picky about which USB port I connect it to. For a tiny mSATA form-factor SSD, this ELUTENG enclosure has worked well for me (but that also has been replaced by a newer model, that I have not tested).

Which outlines another problem, these generic devices can change at any time. You order one, test it and find out it works great, then order another one later and receive a different product. So yea, it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Note that the picture of the older ELUTENG adapter cable and mSATA enclosure are hosted by me (they won't change), so if the one in the link I posted looks very different, then it's not the same product I tested. Also note that TNP sells a few USB-SATA adapters, and I've only tested the one that looks like the ELUTENG adapter (available on Amazon USA, but not Amazon UK).

So... clear as mud, right?

HawaiianPi

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:06 am
According to this the 2B is switchable, or is that just the 1.1 revision ?
Not sure about the 2B v1.2 (don't have one) but the 1.1 definitely starts at 600mA and only outputs 1.2A after the firmware loads, which can be problematic if you're trying to boot from a power hungry USB drive (using a bootcode.bin-only card).

nospaceswin wrote:
The ELUTENG/TNP adapter is only USB powered, and works great on a 3B/3B+ (with the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply). I've booted from hard drives with a 1A power rating. Powered could help with older models.

LTolledo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 am

nospaceswin wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 pm
LTolledo wrote:
https://ibb.co/VW89Bz9

Here is the SSD adapter that I'm using.
Unfortunately I may not be able to verify the functional adaptability of that adapter as I am (just like you and most of us here in the forum are) just a hobbyist and not a "beta tester [paid or unpaid]". I buy for my own use and so far been at the good end of the draw.

There might be others who have tried it (or something very very similar) but are a bit shy to share their experience (and/or misadventures with it)

We've listed the adapters that worked for us... and hoping that the same will work with yours as well....

Some people be like:

Return to “Beginners”