flavio_ntopus

Installing TPLINK TL-WN8200ND v.2 in Raspberry Pi3

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:44 pm

I'd like to share this procedure to install this new version of tplink wireless adapter.

Using information from this topics it's possible make a consolidate procedure.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1003112 ... -rtl8192eu

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... sb-adapter

To install this adpter use this code:

cd ~
sudo apt-get install git raspberrypi-kernel-headers build-essential dkms
git clone https://github.com/luckynzm/tlwn8200nddriver
cd tlwn8200nddriver
sudo nano Makefile
#Replace this lines in Makefile:
CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC = n
CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM_RPI = y
CONFIG_POWER_SAVING = n
sudo dkms add .
sudo dkms install rtl8192eu/1.0
cd /usr/src/rtl8192eu-1.0/
sudo make clean
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -a 8192eu

I use this code in Raspberry Pi3 B+ with Kernel 4.4.50-v7+

juliobrome

Re: Installing TPLINK TL-WN8200ND v.2 in Raspberry Pi3

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for this code :D , i have an error when i try to install my antenna on my Pi with, have you an idea to solve it ? I make all updates and nothing happens :oops:

[email protected]:~/tlwn8200nddriver $ sudo dkms install rtl8192eu/1.0
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 4.14.61-v7+ cannot be found at
/lib/modules/4.14.61-v7+/build or /lib/modules/4.14.61-v7+/source.

my kernel :
Your current kernel revision = 4.14.61-v7+
Your current kernel build = #1133

codierknecht

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi,

had the same problem here.
I was able to upgrade my kernel and source using rpi-source.
rpi-source and installation instruction is available at https://github.com/notro/rpi-source/wiki

After this solving my kernel problem the instructions above worked for me.

Thanks for the instructions.

Kind regards

codierknecht

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:42 am

Hi,

the never ending story with the TP Link WiFi dongle continuous:
After changing the kernel version, compiling the driver and installing the module following the instructions above, the rpi still does not recognize the device.
dmesg can tell idVendor, idProduct, Manifacture and stuff, but it is neither listed in lsusb (there appears just an empty device entry), in ifconfig nor in iwconfig.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.

MrEngman

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 am

codierknecht wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:42 am
Hi,

the never ending story with the TP Link WiFi dongle continuous:
After changing the kernel version, compiling the driver and installing the module following the instructions above, the rpi still does not recognize the device.
dmesg can tell idVendor, idProduct, Manifacture and stuff, but it is neither listed in lsusb (there appears just an empty device entry), in ifconfig nor in iwconfig.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.
You may need to update the source you downloaded with rpi-source.

If anyone is using my install-wifi script to install the 8192eu driver I have updated it and the 8192eu drivers it installs to include the TL-WD8200ND v2. Currently the drivers for kernels 4.14.50-4.14.67 have been updated. If you need a driver for some other earlier kernel version let me know and I'll updated the necessary drivers.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

codierknecht

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:34 am

Thank you very much. Your script worked like charm.
For all people reading this: don't forget to call raspi-config, go to Network Options and enable your wifi after using this awesome script.

Kind regards

neopaulo

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:21 pm

First of all, thank you to help noobies like me ! :)
Secondly, thank you for excusing my poor and bad english... My bad..

I did everything you wrote and a good result : the LED of my wn8200ND turned on and green. Very good thing !

But it still doesn't work...
When I run

Code: Select all

airmon-ng
I have :
PNY = null
Interface = enx503eaa48e491
Driver = ???????
Chipset =

Do you know what can I do ?

Mortar Art

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm getting the following error on sudo make:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.19.34+/build M=/usr/src/rtl8192eu-1.0 modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.19.34+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:1700: recipe for target 'modules' failed

Raspberry Pi B+, no with Raspbian, updated etc.

I'm curious how you guys have a more recent version of the kernel, when 4.19 is the most up to date that I can find.

MrEngman

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Mortar Art wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:15 pm
I'm getting the following error on sudo make:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.19.34+/build M=/usr/src/rtl8192eu-1.0 modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.19.34+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:1700: recipe for target 'modules' failed

Raspberry Pi B+, no with Raspbian, updated etc.

I'm curious how you guys have a more recent version of the kernel, when 4.19 is the most up to date that I can find.
/lib/modules/4.19.34+/build is a symbolic link to the linux source code.

The error you get is saying that link does not exist.

You can create a link using command like

sudo ln -s /home/pi/src/linux /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
You will need to change /home/pi/src/linux to the directory where you have your linux source.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Mortar Art

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 am

So I was able to complete the instructions, but the pi doesn't connect with the TL-WN8200ND plugged in. It's not the v2 version, but I got the impression that the above driver was for either. I get a series of green flashes on the status light of the device, but no connection to my router until I plug in a different wifi device. I suspect the device is functioning, though on lsusb it only shows it's identifier of 2357:0100, without a description.

Am I missing a step?

/edit

Also getting the following error when attempting the install-wifi script:

"Your wifi module is unrecognised".

MrEngman

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:42 am

Mortar Art wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 am
So I was able to complete the instructions, but the pi doesn't connect with the TL-WN8200ND plugged in. It's not the v2 version, but I got the impression that the above driver was for either. I get a series of green flashes on the status light of the device, but no connection to my router until I plug in a different wifi device. I suspect the device is functioning, though on lsusb it only shows it's identifier of 2357:0100, without a description.

Am I missing a step?

/edit

Also getting the following error when attempting the install-wifi script:

"Your wifi module is unrecognised".
The script gives the error you see because the USB ID of your wifi is not used by any of the drivers the script installs.

Checking the USB ID, 2357:0100, for your wifi dongle shows it uses the 8192cu wifi driver. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN8200ND

This wifi driver is included in the Raspbian images so I've no idea why your module isn't recognised and working.

What OS are you using?

AFAIK your wifi should be working provided the configuration is correct.

Using command

lsmod
should show 8192cu in the list of modules running if your wifi dongle is recognised.

To get it working you just need to set up file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf correctly. Something like:-

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="network-name"
	psk="network-password"
}
and set the country code to the country where you are.

MrEngman

Mortar Art

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am

I'm using Raspbian, via SSH, and a different wireless dongle, on a Pi B+.

I'm trying to get the TL-WN8200ND to work, for the added range of the more powerful antennas.

The module IS there when I typed in lsmod. So I guess I didn't even need to go through all of these steps. In other threads though, people have said that while they've been able to get to the device to work, it hasn't been able to connect, or only can connect at a very short range.

Mortar Art

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:36 am

So I think I just confirmed that it's at least able to scan, but maybe not connect to a network?

iwlist wlan0 scan returns just the wifi network I'm using for SSH, but iwlist wlan1 scan returned all the nearby networks. I'm assuming wlan1 is via the second installed dongle.

MrEngman

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Mortar Art wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:36 am
So I think I just confirmed that it's at least able to scan, but maybe not connect to a network?

iwlist wlan0 scan returns just the wifi network I'm using for SSH, but iwlist wlan1 scan returned all the nearby networks. I'm assuming wlan1 is via the second installed dongle.
To get the most up to date list of wifi networks you should use the command

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
Using sudo creates a new list of wifi networks the wifi module can see. Without sudo iwlist will display an old list of networks the wifi modules found and saved when it started after booting or starting up.

You say you are using a Pi B+. Is that the old Pi or is it a 2B+ or 3B+.

When trying to get the WN8200ND working do you have the other wifi module and the WN8200ND both connected to the Pi at the same time or just one of them. Using two wifi modules can cause problems with some networks as the router may not like connecting two wifi modules using the same host name. However, I have several different Pis with two wifi modules fitted and they all connect to my network OK but it is controlled by a Windows domain server.

Silly me, as you say you are scanning wlan0 and wlan1 this would indicate you have both modules connected to the Pi.

One common problem causing problems connecting wifi is often an inadequate power supply, unable to supply sufficient current or voltage, especially with more powerful wifi modules. This problem is much more likely if you have two wifi modules connected, especially when booting.

Another possible issue if you have two wifi modules connected to your Pi is that the names wlan0 and wlan1 may swap between the two wifi modules so when you boot one will be called wlan0 and the other wlan1, but then if you reboot the wifi names may change so wlan0 may change to wlan1, and wlan1 change to wlan0. There is a way to force the wifi modules to maintain the same name whenever it is booted/rebooted but I'm not sure how this is done with the latest versions of the OS, raspbian stretch. There is stuff about this somewhere on the forum.

MrEngman

Return to “Networking and servers”