caderoux

Pricing?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 am

Looks like it's just over $80 shipped - significantly more than an Arduino (and I'm going to have to do all the soldering).

What would be the main advantages over the Arduino?

timmoore46

Re: Pricing?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:44 am

In the UK, its £36.00 delivered.

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:11 am

It helps if you put a country in your profile information

Some costs are incurred as a result of courier costs and are country specific.

There's been quite a bit of chatter on this. ;)

It's worth noting the RPi is a machine in development if you want it to work out of the box 100% I suggest you wait however If you want in on thefun I suggest you tell folks where you are and you may find out more info re courier costs.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

fos

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 am

// main advantages over an arduino...

The board not only has an atmel controller chip, it is driven by the R Pi which is a full fledged GNU Linux computer. That gives you the option to program the board using a real world gnu c/c++ compiler or any of several other languages.

The flexibility of a full open source computing system is a big advantage to me.

I have just read the manual that has been written for the Gert Board. Tthat alone is worth a significant portion of the cost. It is very well written and detailed, including documentation for all of the board's functions.

As Mr. Gert mentions in the video, the gert board is very robust. The voltage levels and load support are quite significant.

JMHO,

Jeff
https://faroutscience.com

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am

Don't think of it as 'just an arduino', but an arduino with a multi analogue and digital I/O shield. So price-wise, add up the cost of a typical arduino and an I/O shield. I think you will find it will be more than the cost of a Gertboard.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

caderoux

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Jim JKla wrote:It helps if you put a country in your profile information
Done, I'm in the USA

Joe Schmoe

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Other people in the US have reported it being a little less than $45 (total, out the door).

Your $80 seems out of the park.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

caderoux

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:48 pm

fos wrote:// main advantages over an arduino...

The board not only has an atmel controller chip, it is driven by the R Pi which is a full fledged GNU Linux computer. That gives you the option to program the board using a real world gnu c/c++ compiler or any of several other languages.

The flexibility of a full open source computing system is a big advantage to me.

I have just read the manual that has been written for the Gert Board. Tthat alone is worth a significant portion of the cost. It is very well written and detailed, including documentation for all of the board's functions.

As Mr. Gert mentions in the video, the gert board is very robust. The voltage levels and load support are quite significant.

JMHO,

Jeff
Well, I already have the Raspberry Pi for that, but I'm seeing full-blown NetDuino Go kit for $99 shipped, and plain Arduino + Shield around $60-80. Trying to figure out my needs for a robotic project where I want the web server running on the RPi, but will probably need Arduino to get more motor/actuator control.

The Gertboard seems great, but it also is not pre-assembled/tested.

caderoux

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Other people in the US have reported it being a little less than $45 (total, out the door).

Your $80 seems out of the park.
This is element14/newark : $60.84 it says Farnell UK Direct Ship - Non-Cancelable/Non-Returnable

ELEMENT14 - GERTBOM - GERTBOARD, BARE PCB W/COMPONENTS FOR SELF ASSEMBLY

The one they are advertising on the main page for reservations.

Then it adds $2.43 for tax and $20 for shipping (to the US).

This is the same element14 account I used to get the RPi.

Sven

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:26 pm

caderoux wrote:This is element14/newark : $60.84 it says Farnell UK Direct Ship - Non-Cancelable/Non-Returnable
I get $46.50 + $2.43 tax + $20.00 shipping = $69.41. Why are we getting different prices?

caderoux

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Sven wrote:
caderoux wrote:This is element14/newark : $60.84 it says Farnell UK Direct Ship - Non-Cancelable/Non-Returnable
I get $46.50 + $2.43 tax + $20.00 shipping = $69.41. Why are we getting different prices?
They've corrected something. I just went in at work, and it's the $46.50 - not only that, it added it to the one already in the cart from home, so it's the same cart/account and it's now 2 at the lower price. The tax is correspondingly lower as well, of course at $1.86.

Still not sure I want to do this or pick up pre-assembled Arduino and accessories for a little more from Amazon.

cwiggs

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 am

caderoux wrote:Looks like it's just over $80 shipped - significantly more than an Arduino (and I'm going to have to do all the soldering).
My specifics:

ordered 08 Aug from Element14
order confirmed @ 08PM
confirmed final expected ship date 20 Aug

Kit $46.50
Shipped UK to Rockford, IL US $20.00
Tax $4.42
Total $70.92

And I got to find my old soldering station.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 pm

caderoux wrote:
Sven wrote:
They've corrected something. I just went in at work, and it's the $46.50 - not only that, it added it to the one already in the cart from home, so it's the same cart/account and it's now 2 at the lower price. The tax is correspondingly lower as well, of course at $1.86.

Still not sure I want to do this or pick up pre-assembled Arduino and accessories for a little more from Amazon.
Well, if you are happy doing the work to interface the Arduino to the Raspi (I assume that's what you would be doing with the gertboard!), that might be a good option. More work though. So it's a trade off of price vs effort.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”