varefaz

Raspberry Pi Zero w not working

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post.
last week I removed from the raspberry pi zero w the previous header pin that I had welded to put one with the longer male pins and on the other side the female pins. https://www.banggood.com/12MM-40Pin-Fem ... rehouse=CN

After doing the welding everything was fine the stalk worked, but after a while it went off. With the tester I checked if the correct voltage was coming to the 3v and 5v pins and so it was. I checked, again with the tester, if there were short circuits but nothing. So I left the raspberry pi zero w attached to the socket for a while and it suddenly came back on. I tried using two different sd cards and connecting it to a monitor via HDMI it worked. After turning it off properly, I put it back in its pibow cover and the next day I turned it back on, but it didn't work anymore. I left it attacked for an hour but nothing. So I decided to unsolder the header pin but something went wrong. In fact with the sucker the pond did not come out, so I cut the stacking header I removed the female part and in doing so I managed to remove the male pins from the back, but while I continued to some the pad of the raspberry also came out. Here is the situation now.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Now I wanted to know if you can still use it without using the gpio or if it is completely to be thrown away.

thank you very much for your help.

mrreality13

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero w not working

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 pm

well they sell both with and with out headers so i would just try it as is,just back up your data or etcher a new sd car to test with
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

varefaz

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:51 am

I don't think I understood your answer well. The GPIO is always in the Raspberry pi what they sell is the welded header pin or not. I had taken the one without and soldered and unsoldered the pin header, but it caused the problem in the picture. changing sd does not change anything the led is always off. but the current arrives. so what can i do?

B.Goode

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 am

varefaz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:51 am
I don't think I understood your answer well. The GPIO is always in the Raspberry pi what they sell is the welded header pin or not. I had taken the one without and soldered and unsoldered the pin header, but it caused the problem in the picture. changing sd does not change anything the led is always off. but the current arrives. so what can i do?

Maybe we don't understand your question...

At the end of your initial post you ask:
I wanted to know if you can still use it without using the gpio
Answer: Yes. There is no compulsion to use the facilities provided by the gpio connections on the RPi Zero board if you have no need for them. It doesn't matter whether the physical pins are unfitted or (correctly) fitted.

But earlier in your post you describe the several attempts you have made to modify the board, concluding with:
the next day I turned it back on, but it didn't work anymore. I left it attacked for an hour but nothing. So I decided to unsolder the header pin but something went wrong.

If the current situation is that your modifications have made the board non-functional then your options are to repair the damage, or accept that the board is now 'dead.'

alphanumeric

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:37 pm

The Pi Zero is most likely a multi layer board. All you soldering and unsoldering (heat) has likely separated something and broken a connection at one of the GPIO pads. I'd take it as a lesson learned and move on. Buy a new Pi Zero and try again, just make sure you solder in the header you need.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Retired disgracefully.....

alphanumeric

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm

He used a stacking header, female to male. I don't see that as an option? Still a good alternative if you don't fancy soldering your header in place though.

Return to “Troubleshooting”