Marcelo Lagoa

Flashing green LED, constantly.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

My Raspberry: Pi 3B
a) I configured Raspberry to boot into USB:
echo program_usb_boot_mode=1 | sudo tee -a /boot/config.txt
Result: vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17: 17:3020000a
b) I installed The Raspbian on the Kingston a400 (120Gb) SSD card using the "etcher"
c) I removed the SD card from the slot and booted into the Raspberry with my SSD card
d) Apparently, everything worked normal. The System expanded the partition inside the SSD and then opened the working screen.
However, the green LED (indicates read / write data on SD card) blinks the entire time the raspberry is turned on ... even when I am not working on it.
I notice that there is a constant exchange of information between the Raspberry and the SSD Card (even though it is only switched on without any activity).
This was not the case when I used the SD Card ...
What is going on?
Missing some configuration?
Is the process actually accessing the SSD and causing unnecessary wear on the card? :?

I am grateful for the attention and for any response to my topic.
Last edited by Marcelo Lagoa on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k-pi

Re: Flashing green LED, constantly.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 am

If it just blinks at a steady rate, I think it is just the USB sub system checking to see if it is attached to anything.

Andyroo

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 am

The Pi regularly checks the SD card slot to see if a card is inserted so it may be that you are seeing.

There is a way of stopping this process somewhere on the forum but the simplest way is to leave a blank but formatted card in the holder and not mount it.

Marcelo Lagoa

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you all for the answers!
In fact, I became convinced that the flashing LED is perfectly normal when the raspberry is connected, however, without an SD card in the slot.
I'll also add the line:
"dtoverlay = sdtweak, poll_once" to config.txt as indicated by the link in B.Goode's response.
This should silence the LED. :)

LTolledo

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm

If your SATA to USB adaptor has built in LED indicator, you'll notice that it blinks/flashes from time to time...

same goes with USB thumbdrives/flashdrives/pendrives with LED indicators....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Troubleshooting”