Valliant

Install a gameboy pi IMG in sdcard

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 am

Hello, can you help me? I am a newbie at this. I have a gameboy pi and I need to put the gameboy pi IMG file into a sdcard, I know that the system in SDcard have boot and ext4, and I have the original 10gb IMG file, how I do that, do I need to create partitions? Or I only use etcher? Sorry for my bad English I am from Portugal.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Install a gameboy pi IMG in sdcard

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 am

Valliant wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 am
Hello, can you help me? I am a newbie at this. I have a gameboy pi and I need to put the gameboy pi IMG file into a sdcard, I know that the system in SDcard have boot and ext4, and I have the original 10gb IMG file, how I do that, do I need to create partitions? Or I only use etcher? Sorry for my bad English I am from Portugal.

Etcher will write a .IMG file to a SD Card and will completely wipe what is currently on the SD Card:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Retired disgracefully.....

Valliant

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 pm

thank you for reply me.
i know etcher will erase everything on my SDcard, but it will create a boot and ext4 partitions using the backup IMG file ?

B.Goode

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Valliant wrote:
thank you for reply me.
i know etcher will erase everything on my SDcard, but it will create a boot and ext4 partitions using the backup IMG file ?

" it will create a boot and ext4 partitions using the backup IMG file ?"

That is impossible to answer with certainty, since noone in the forums, other than yourself, can know what is contained in the .IMG file you are planning to work with.

If the .IMG file was correctly written in the first instance to capture the boot and root partitions from a working micro SD card, then Etcher will faithfully recreate them in another microSD card.

But Etcher does not know or care what is represented by the .IMG file - it will simply transfer the data onto the micro SD card. If the .IMG contains indecipherable rubbish, that rubbish will be written to the microSD card.

klricks

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Valliant wrote:
thank you for reply me.
Yes provided that you have correctly backed up the original image using dd or Win32diskimager.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Valliant

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks for replying, I understand what you said, I don't know what in the IMG file, because I can't open the file, the person who send me the file said that it's was the backup of SDcard it has 10gb of data, I think I will test in another SDcard to be sure that it will work, I was just asking because I never used raspberry before and I am just grasping some knowledge before I do some dumb s*it 😂, I never heard of etcher before, and i want to be sure it was the right program to use. Thank you for your knowledge.

Valliant

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm

One more thing, I have to do this because my 3.5 inch screen doesn't have retro illumination, I don't know if is the configurations or hardware fault. And I don't know what brand is my screen because it is glued to the case. My config file says it is mpzpi6 I think, don't have my config file here.

B.Goode

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Any tool - Etcher, Win32DiskImager, DD, or others - that writes the contents of any file to a target microSD card will totally and irrevocably overwrite and destroy any previous content of that card.

So to avoid doing something dumb, only write image files to new cards, or to cards you are quite sure do not contain any valuable, irreplaceable, content.

Valliant

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:22 pm

I wanna thank you for all the help you gave me, I pay a beer if you come to Portugal😉 I could put the system in SDcard but my problem still remains its hardware problem I think, I have no backlight, maybe the screen Is dead 😥

Return to “Gaming”