fruitbox

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi Gustav, Steve

Thanks for the improvement (NoDuplicates); sounds useful. As soon as I get a github pull request I'll review the changes and get it merged into the main branch, and include it in the next release. Speaking of which, the next release is a few weeks off yet, but will have some nice features in it so should be worth the wait :)

Cheers
Mike

shhammer5634

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:53 pm

kramg wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm
shhammer5634 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Gustav,

Sure, we can work it the same way. I'll include the changed files. There were 3 or 4. I'll also throw in that skin for the 3W1. I found it. It will probably be the weekend. I'm a service rep and thing are heating up for me at work. (Covering another person's territory besides my own for a month...)

Cheers,
Steve
Excellent! Thanks for tracking down the skin as well. I'll be on the road most of Sunday but will grab the file as soon as I am able and let you know so you can take down the link. About the screen you had hoped to use for your 3W1, was it the largest that would fit in the area available for the title strip holder or was it something you had on hand at the time?

Cheers,

- gustav
It was one I bought to fit in where the,title strips go. It was,the right height when I took it out of the case, but narrower. I was going to have to make a face frame for it.

kramg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:

It was one I bought to fit in where the,title strips go. It was,the right height when I took it out of the case, but narrower. I was going to have to make a face frame for it.
Understood. I think the current 16:9 aspect ratio is contributing to the problem here. I'm hoping to track down an older 4:3 aspect screen. I was planning to try the screen from an old laptop that I thought was broken, but, the darn thing booted right up and I hate cannibalising something that still works! Will keep looking.

Cheers,

- gustav

kramg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Hi Gustav, Steve

Thanks for the improvement (NoDuplicates); sounds useful. As soon as I get a github pull request I'll review the changes and get it merged into the main branch, and include it in the next release. Speaking of which, the next release is a few weeks off yet, but will have some nice features in it so should be worth the wait :)

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

I hope you don't mind me stepping in on this. Apart from giving me some practice with github I figured it might reduce your workload just a little bit.

Cheers,

- gustav

shhammer5634

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 pm

kramg wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Hi Gustav, Steve

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

I hope you don't mind me stepping in on this. Apart from giving me some practice with github I figured it might reduce your workload just a little bit.

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi Mike,

Glad you're still around. Feel free to grab this link. Also feel free to fold, bend, spindle, or otherwise mutilate the code I added. Especially all the cout stuff I left in that's commented out. I look forward to seeing the new release!

Gustav,

https://bit.ly/2U0IrUB

Has the 3 files I changed. config_base.hpp, playqueue.cpp, and playqueue.hpp. Also included are 3 html files that are reports created with winmerge. In each, the left side is the original file, the right is the changed file. The changes are highlighted in yellow. And of course the Seeburg3W1 skin I was putting together.

Cheers,
Steve

kramg

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:02 am

shhammer5634 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad you're still around. Feel free to grab this link. Also feel free to fold, bend, spindle, or otherwise mutilate the code I added. Especially all the cout stuff I left in that's commented out. I look forward to seeing the new release!

Gustav,

https://bit.ly/2U0IrUB

Has the 3 files I changed. config_base.hpp, playqueue.cpp, and playqueue.hpp. Also included are 3 html files that are reports created with winmerge. In each, the left side is the original file, the right is the changed file. The changes are highlighted in yellow. And of course the Seeburg3W1 skin I was putting together.

Cheers,
Steve

Got it, thanks Steve. I've a couple of busy days coming up but I will get it on github and the pull request in to Mike as soon as I am able.

Cheers,

- gustav

fruitbox

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am

Hi Steve, Gustav

No need to do a github pull request...I have now got the changes directly from the link above so can add them in. Code changes look good :)

Thanks
Mike

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:42 am

fruitbox wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am
Hi Steve, Gustav

No need to do a github pull request...I have now got the changes directly from the link above so can add them in. Code changes look good :)

Thanks
Mike
Thanks to you both.

Steve

kramg

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:16 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
kramg wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm

... About the screen you had hoped to use for your 3W1, was it the largest that would fit in the area available for the title strip holder or was it something you had on hand at the time?

Cheers,

- gustav
Hey Steve,

I'm no closer to sourcing a 3W1 (I'm moving this to the "long term project" category), but, I have been giving it a lot of thought lately and it occurred to me this morning that maybe you could move the red selection portion of the foreground image to the face frame you were going to build and just have the actual title strip portion on the screen. Since you're only using A..E, 1..4 the selection codes remain static anyway. Would the extra width in the title strip allow you to use a large enough font so that the text can be read comfortably?

Just a thought. I suspect that if/when I catch up to you I may be in the same boat as far as reading the title strips!

Cheers,

- gustav

shhammer5634

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Hey Steve,

I'm no closer to sourcing a 3W1 (I'm moving this to the "long term project" category), but, I have been giving it a lot of thought lately and it occurred to me this morning that maybe you could move the red selection portion of the foreground image to the face frame you were going to build and just have the actual title strip portion on the screen. Since you're only using A..E, 1..4 the selection codes remain static anyway. Would the extra width in the title strip allow you to use a large enough font so that the text can be read comfortably?

Just a thought. I suspect that if/when I catch up to you I may be in the same boat as far as reading the title strips!

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi Gustav,

I hadn't thought of that. I could do that, but the difference in size would be minimal. I'm still looking for a screen. If I find one I'll be sure to let you know where I got it.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers,
Steve

mallettron

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:46 pm

I can't remember if anyone asked or replied

Can we use an arcade/usb control board for the keys, you know the cheap ones that theoretically can handle 20 switches??

Thanks

Ronnie

ps this sort of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-2X-Zero-D ... 2749.l2649

fruitbox

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 am

mallettron wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:46 pm
I can't remember if anyone asked or replied

Can we use an arcade/usb control board for the keys, you know the cheap ones that theoretically can handle 20 switches??

Thanks

Ronnie

ps this sort of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-2X-Zero-D ... 2749.l2649
Hi

Yes, those types of controllers are supported; just run through the button configuration using the --config-buttons command line option as usual.

Please note however that there is currently a limitation in fruitbox that means if you have more than one identical controller they are not treated independently. This is fixed in the next release (v2.00)

Cheers
Mike

gaby44

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 am

Hy Mike,
We just install your jukebox. it's great on work perfectly. We would like to add an other feature, who might be funny. The idea is to activate a relay to open a door when we select a specific song. Do you have any idea to realize this project.
Thanks, regards.
Gaby.

kramg

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:41 pm

gaby44 wrote:
Hy Mike,
We just install your jukebox. it's great on work perfectly. We would like to add an other feature, who might be funny. The idea is to activate a relay to open a door when we select a specific song. Do you have any idea to realize this project.
Thanks, regards.
Gaby.

I'm not Mike, but, here's how I would approach it:

Use a status box to test for $NOW_PLAYING_TITLE or $COMING_UP_TITLE depending on whether you want your relay to operate when the song is selected or when it is played, then use $SET_GPIO_xx_HI to activate your relay when you get a match.

Take a look at the user guide, the status variables are well documented.

Cheers,

- gustav

fruitbox

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:08 am

kramg wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:41 pm
gaby44 wrote:
Hy Mike,
Thanks, regards.
Gaby.

I'm not Mike, but, here's how I would approach it:

Use a status box to test for $NOW_PLAYING_TITLE or $COMING_UP_TITLE depending on whether you want your relay to operate when the song is selected or when it is played, then use $SET_GPIO_xx_HI to activate your relay when you get a match.

Take a look at the user guide, the status variables are well documented.

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi Gaby

Gustav is along the right lines, but status objects can only report the name of the currently playing song, and not compare it with a fixed string, so you will have to use the status Output feature to write the name of the song to an external file and then check it's value with an external script, which would also control your relay. This sort of thing has been discussed before, so maybe worth looking back through this discussion (yes, sorry I know it's getting quite big now)

Cheers
Mike

DaveMT

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi all, complete noob here!

(maybe not a COMPLETE noob) I've got 2 Rpi in my house. One running Kodi and one running retropi. Following a YouTube tutorial managed to add an on/off button to my retropi.

OK, now that's out of the way, I'm wanting to make a pub style, wall mounted jukebox. Using an old flat screen monitor and Rpi running fruitbox. I was wondering if these buttons would work with it.

https://thepihut.com/products/adafruit- ... ue-ada3490

https://thepihut.com/products/adafruit- ... rix-keypad

The Blue buttons acting as Left & Right, and the keypad for track selection.

I don't know anything about coding but I can follow tutorials OK.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

fruitbox

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi Dave

Sure, those buttons will work... just connect one microswitch pin to GND and the other to an unused GPIO. Then run fruitbox with the --config-buttons command line option to map them.

The keypad on the second link isn't supported by fruitbox directly as it needs a row/column scan. Maybe a separate app running alongside fruitbox can implement this and generate pseudo keyboard events?

Cheers
Mike

DaveMT

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Hi Dave

Sure, those buttons will work... just connect one microswitch pin to GND and the other to an unused GPIO. Then run fruitbox with the --config-buttons command line option to map them.

The keypad on the second link isn't supported by fruitbox directly as it needs a row/column scan. Maybe a separate app running alongside fruitbox can implement this and generate pseudo keyboard events?

Cheers
Mike
Thanks for getting back to me. Are there any other things akin to a keypad that I could use instead? Or would having separate buttons for 0-9 be easier?

Thanks
Dave

fruitbox

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 am

DaveMT wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 pm
fruitbox wrote:
Hi Dave

Cheers
Mike
Thanks for getting back to me. Are there any other things akin to a keypad that I could use instead? Or would having separate buttons for 0-9 be easier?

Thanks
Dave
A USB keypad works just like a normal keyboard so would be fine with fruitbox

Cheers
Mike

DaveMT

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

I think I'll just use independent buttons. USB keypads have too many that won't be used.

I'm sure I'll be back for more advice later on haha

Cheers,
Dave

ScotM

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm

DaveMT wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm
I think I'll just use independent buttons. USB keypads have too many that won't be used.

I'm sure I'll be back for more advice later on haha

Cheers,
Dave
If you are good with a soldering iron and have a razor knife you can isolate those keypad buttons - solder on a few extra wires and connect them to the GPIO pins on the pi. You basically need a common ground and and independent lead on each button pad.

DaveMT

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:02 pm

I haven't used a soldering iron since school, so about 24 years ago. I'll just use a different button for each number. I'm sure I can make it look fancy. Haha.

rpt007

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 am

Does somebody know about a good source for momentary push buttons which
a) are illuminated and
b) could be individually labelled

Raimund

fruitbox

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Raimund

I used these, which can be illuminated and have removable paper labels inside, but they are a bit "clicky"...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pcs-NEW-DC ... nav=SEARCH

Cheers
Mike

rpt007

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi Mike,

that's good news. I searched the internet back and forth - and also found those at several sources. But I hesitated to buy them as no seller tells that one could modify /insert labels.

So I will get me some and then label the "clickies".

Cheers
Raimund

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”