John50

Cannot format write protected card problem [solved]

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:44 pm

Hello, i just buy one new sd card sandisk extreme 64gb for my new raspberry pi3 b+ but when i try to format it to then install raspbian in it, i get this message "Cannot format write protected card", I am working on windows 10/64.

I tried to remove the write protection with diskpart but it does not work.

Someone knows how I can solve this problem?

I apreciate your help.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Cannot format write protected card problem

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:57 pm

Get your money back!
If the card is NOT locked with a write protect slide, (the normal write protection mechanism) then the card has locked up itself to protect it content because it has detected major problems while writing to is storage.
This write protect can not easily be overcome, and even if you did, the chances are big the card will immediately re-lock itself for the same reason it did so in the first place.

some fake card with bad controllers might do this too, concluding it could be a fake.

by the way, if you install the card the way you should do with 64GB and large cards, that is by NOT using NOOBS, but by writing a Raspbian image to the card using the etcher image writer, then there is no reason to format the card first.

however, for other size cards, and if you most restore a card for NOOBS you MUST use the official SD-card association formatter, not any other random formatting program, like the one built into Windows.

John50

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:04 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Get your money back!
If the card isn't locked with a write protect slide, then the card has locked up itself to protect it content because it has detected major problems while writing to is storage.

it could be a fake.
I bought it in a really big and reputable company here in my country and I doubt that is the problem because when I try to format the 16gb sd card that my raspberry brings incorporated in the starter pack I also receive the same message "Cannot format write protected card"...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Try another card reader, or another computer.

John50

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:10 pm

mahjongg wrote:
by the way, if you install the card the way you should do with 64GB and large cards, that is by NOT using NOOBS, but by writing a Raspbian image to the card using the etcher image writer, then there is no reason to format the card first.
Sure, is not for NOOBS is for Raspbian but in all the guides i have seen always recommend formatting before.

jahboater

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:27 pm

John50 wrote:
mahjongg wrote:
Sure, is not for NOOBS is for Raspbian but in all the guides i have seen always recommend formatting before.
No. Before using etcher, or any other method to copy a Raspbian image onto an SD card, you should not format the card first. It does no harm (other than wearing out the SD card and wasting your time) but is 100% pointless. All the formatting and the partition table will be overwritten and lost.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:44 pm

John50 wrote:
mahjongg wrote:

Really !! Etcher does not state so in Official Help, maybe you are reading old blogs ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....

Heater

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes, really. Etcher writes disk images. It does not and has never required formatting of the SD card first.

The link you gave does not indicate otherwise.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

John50

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 pm

I do not have experience with raspberry, I am just starting and did not know about Etcher, I was simply consulting video tutorials where people usually recommend always format the sd card before installing...

I really appreciate your help, I will try your suggestion.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:01 pm

John50 wrote:
I do not have experience with raspberry, I am just starting and did not know about Etcher, I was simply consulting video tutorials where people usually recommend always format the sd card before installing...

I am at a loss to why people never consult the Raspberry Pi website first and foremost :?

John50

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:01 pm
John50 wrote:

I am at a loss to why people never consult the Raspberry Pi website first and foremost :?
You are right, this is the best place for support, glad to be here now.

Many thanks for your help.

John50

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Unfortunately he does not allow me do it through Etcher, the sd is locked?

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Toss that fake SDCard in the bin and buy a new one from a reliable retailer at a sensible full price cost.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

John50

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Toss that fake SDCard in the bin and buy a new one from a reliable retailer at a sensible full price cost.
I buy it here in Portugal from one of the leading and largest companies so I do not think thats the problem and I just tried to do the same procedure with the sdcard 16gb that brings with the raspberry pi b3+ starter pack and I have the same problem as you can see in the photo.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:26 pm

John50 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
I buy it here in Portugal from one of the leading and largest companies so I do not think thats the problem and I just tried to do the same procedure with the sdcard 16gb that brings with the raspberry pi b3+ starter pack and I have the same problem as you can see in the photo.

Is the SD Card Reader you are using SDHC compatible ??

bensimmo

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:05 pm

The 16GB card should have NOOBs on it if it is with the usual style Starter Pack, since you've not written to it, stick it in the Pi and boot to it.
Use the Pi to write the card (you cannot use Etcher so will need another method, e.g. normal Linux)
Something is wrong with your SD card reader/writer by the sounds of it.

HawaiianPi

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:23 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:05 pm
Something is wrong with your SD card reader/writer by the sounds of it.
If this is happening with 2 different cards, I would agree. Something is wrong with your card reader.

Get yourself a new "SDXC" compatible USB card reader and start over.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

kaksi

Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:
then the card has locked up itself to protect it content because it has detected major problems while writing to is storage.
Well, if the "major" problem was power outage, there is a good chance that the card is still usable.

I had quite a few problems like that and succeeded to format it in an old camera - it is still working since two years. (The camera is not working anymore, so I am interested in other solutions if I have the problem again.)

John50

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Finally I went to the chinese and bought a usb card reader for less than 3 euro and to my surprise it worked and I was able to install raspbian through etcher, therefore the problem is that the sd card reader that my PC brings is not compatible...

Maeby this experience could be help to someone who eventually has this problem.

Thanka everyone who helped.

bensimmo

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 am

Glad it's working and have fun.
Pop in, keep reading and asking questions :-)

kaksi

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:26 am

John50 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 pm
Finally I went to the chinese and bought a usb card reader for less than 3 euro and to my surprise it worked...

Maeby this experience could be help to someone who eventually has this problem.
Any additional information about the card reader? Where can I buy it?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Cannot format write protected card problem [solved]

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 pm

You can buy suitable SDXC compatible USB card readers from any computer shop, everywhere, its pointless to ask this question, in Britain you would be pointed to a "poundshop" (a "dollar store"). :mrgreen:

p.s. incompatible (non SDXC compatible) card readers are now completely obsolete and only found in old computers, they are not regularly sold anymore.

Return to “General discussion”